Author Topic: Perch Patrol  (Read 6116 times)

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
Perch Patrol
« on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:49 PM »
If we get another 3 weekends of icefishing in nothern Indiana that gives me approximately 6 more days to go icefishing.Ok with that being said I have to dedicate 1 of those days strictly to perch fishing.I used to fish for just Perch on Wawasee all the time. Now I hardly ever do because I'm always chasing Slabgills and Crappies.Anyway I was wondering other than Wawasee,what other lakes would you guys suggest to try to catch some jumbo's...... :tipup:  Anyone can pm me if u don't want to name lakes on here.                                                                         

Offline Bob James

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Perch Patrol
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Palestine lake has been turning out some real nice perch for a couple of years now. Don't chase the gills, you can read a newspaper through them they're so skinny.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:34 PM »
adams,
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:11 AM »
A-bomb, I have caught some nice perch out of Lake Gage&Lime lake in the early spring fishing wirh minnows. I have never fished it in the winter. I Have seen some big pike in Gage also.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Simcoe!!!!  :o :o :o :o

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:21 AM »
I think you should go to Fox Lake considering the 'Perch Palooza' that Polecat had! :o
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Where is Fox Lake?

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Fox is south of US 20 in Angola turn at highway dept.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:39 PM »
It's on I'm done bluegill fishing until I catch 20 keeper Perch....No more gills :tipup: :tipup: :clap:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Devils Lake........

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Devils Lake........
Maybe!!!! If I have to drill 40 holes on 5 lakes I will find them this weekend.You have to drill 10 of those and Spring bobber has to drill 10 and I guess I'll drill the other 20.We will make it look like Swiss Cheese!!!!!! :tipup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:22 PM »
man we'll drill 40 in the first hour!!!  yea i'll be th noisy guy on the back of th 4 wheeler with the gps, and the new jiffy!!!

easy a 200 hole day!!!  eat your wheaties!!  actually me ,gps and the vex will stay out front punching holes while you guys fish up!!

hope we hit 'em    i would hate to have to sight fish on sunday for 10 inch gills with waxy while you sat "over there" ;D
perch search is on!!!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Yes the Perch Search is on for me as well. I won't be drilling 40 holes though. I think my perch hole may be safe by Sat. and I know just where they will be. Famous last words huh? Well I think I know where they will be. Buck Perry once said "never tell a fish where he is supposed to be". Speeking of Buck Perry, I wonder if I could chainsaw a channel in the ice and spoon plug off of a 4 wheeler? ;D
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline ragencage

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:04 AM »
word of mouth is those perchpalooza fish didnt come out of fox lake who knows?? heard they came from somewhere else, although its almost beliveable they did come from fox there are some monsters in there, who really knows

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:03 PM »
sat....GOT GAS .......WILL DRILL ;D

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:18 PM »
there is absofreakinlutely no reason to drill holes with a jiffy here in Indiana...im sorry im not trying to upset anyone...but with the ice not being all that thick..all it does is bother fish and fisherman near by...if your in wisconsin..minnesota.. or north dakota...then fine you've got 2ft plus of ice to get through...but here a hand auger is the BEST way to go...man up!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:41 PM »
i totally agree and accept your offer to come with us on sat!!  there are 9 of us hitting a mid size lake (400 acres) .  at last check about 10 inches of good ice.  in the past the perch are where they are.  in 30, 40 60 or 70 ft of water. sometimes on the points and others on the flats...oh yea couple times on the breaks.

i'll pm ya with the lake and don't worry i have 4 wheeler you can ride on so you won't have....OH wait, they are noisy too!    eat your wheeties, bring your auger,good boots and lets go for a walk.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!! will drill at least 200 holes.....10 spots 2 holes per guy.              get out of college, get a job, afford cool stuff ....WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER........play more. not trying to offend anyone but get a clue! thats  2,000 inches of ice.........cant wait to see you "man up" on sat.   you don't mind me cooking on the ice while YOU hand drill do you ;D

also watch fish on the vue...they dont mind drilling over their head in 10 ft plus water....they just look up and kinda giggle! :o

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:05 PM »

Fact....perch sometimes get turned on by the sound of Power Augers drilling.
Fact....10 to 12 inches of ice = roughly 19 turns of the auger blades (with new sharp blades)
    So, 10 holes x 19 is 190 turns. Thats a week day in my book. I'm more like 60 holes, and yes I do it with a Mora. So I'm using a Mora (way behind a lazer in my book) 60 holes times 19 equals 1140 turns maybe more if my blades start to go. As ya'll said....I'm Manning up, but if I had the money I would be punching them with a Jiffy! Give me a break. On 3,4,5 all the way up to 8 I can say, yeah a hand auger is fine. At 40 years old my elbows start hurting after 15 and I would love to scream a 4 stroke all over the ice! Dude put down the acne cream and get real!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:14 PM »
there is absofreakinlutely no reason to drill holes with a jiffy here in Indiana...im sorry im not trying to upset anyone...but with the ice not being all that thick..all it does is bother fish and fisherman near by...if your in wisconsin..minnesota.. or north dakota...then fine you've got 2ft plus of ice to get through...but here a hand auger is the BEST way to go...man up!

If you are perch fishing and not drilling lots of holes, you are probably not going to catch many. i can't tell you the last time that i went out perch fishing and didn't drill at least 80 holes. expecially over deep water
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:17 PM »
well said, and on thew thinner stuff i hand drill but the perch search is about covering water in mass....like a swarm of locust .  drill,  flash,   fish and move. drill,  flash,  fish and move!!

and besides at alomost 40 my back is GREAT and i like to keep it that way.....you know for other things!

it is valenties day ya know!! ;)2

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:23 PM »
i totally agree and accept your offer to come with us on sat!!  there are 9 of us hitting a mid size lake (400 acres) .  at last check about 10 inches of good ice.  in the past the perch are where they are.  in 30, 40 60 or 70 ft of water. sometimes on the points and others on the flats...oh yea couple times on the breaks.

i'll pm ya with the lake and don't worry i have 4 wheeler you can ride on so you won't have....OH wait, they are noisy too!    eat your wheeties, bring your auger,good boots and lets go for a walk.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!! will drill at least 200 holes.....10 spots 2 holes per guy.              get out of college, get a job, afford cool stuff ....WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER........play more. not trying to offend anyone but get a clue! thats  2,000 inches of ice.........cant wait to see you "man up" on sat.   you don't mind me cooking on the ice while YOU hand drill do you ;D

also watch fish on the vue...they dont mind drilling over their head in 10 ft plus water....they just look up and kinda giggle! :o

A-bomb.........Now I mean to tell ya that is funny.. :clap: :thumbsup:
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Bsufishinguy,......I need to bring you along fishing with me.  At my age 30-40 holes is to much, and that is why I bought a power auger.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:29 PM »
now that i have an icegator, i will probably never hand drill another hole ever. if the ice is thick enough to walk on i will be toting my electric. ;D ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:33 PM »
its all in good fun BSU  ....
besides when i was younger i use to drink beer and just "whizz" 200 holes a day!!

but now i'm just ......not able to drink enough ;D

you thought i was gonna say OLD didn't you! ;D

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:34 PM »
you can come sunday...

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I'm 1 of the 9 going to be there on Saturday and I can't wait for him to drill all the holes cause i'm jigging all of them until we find them that's the way I was always taught,keep drilling till you find them.The ice is atleast 10 inches and more like 12 it won't hurt it a bit...It will look like Swiss Cheese!!!!!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:14 PM »
With as many holes you guys drill in a day... you will all be fishing open water  ;D
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Can't wait A-bomb and IceMan.....looking forward to riggin' my poles tomorrow for those perch......

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Chubby Darter # 3...$6.99

A-Bomb with his power auger...$300.00 plus

A lake full of perch in northern Indiana...$$$ ???

A bucket full of JUMBOS!!!  PRICELESS!!!

Looking forward to this weekend...Will be a good time with great friends.

A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:35 PM »
With as many holes you guys drill in a day... you will all be fishing open water  ;D

you got the right idea!!!my auger is a baby 6"er...glens got the BIG DADDY 10 but i worry about my kids,dogs small animals,and snowmobiles falling thru....that ones staying off the public lakes.......if ya havent seen a jiffy stx with a 6"er                         

..it's just beautiful!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.