Author Topic: Gill Pills  (Read 6869 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Gill Pills
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:30 AM »
Has anyone tried these jigs before?  I purchased a bunch of them yesterday.  They are really nice looking jigs.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gill Pills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:13 AM »
I have a few, they seem to catch fish just fine. As with the rest of Custom Jigs & Spins lures they are well made. I like their Demon and Diamond jigs also.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:24 AM »
I baught some of the diamond jigs also.  I like the colors they have too. 

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Getting to really like them. Hanging at 45* seems to be the answer some trips when vertical or horizontal presentations aren't doing it.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:30 PM »
 Just placed and order for some gill pills & some diamonds! I'll let you know how I do!
TEAM  PA.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:01 PM »
firetiger has been killer for me this season so far with gills...averaged 9 per hour while hopping holes 2 weekends ago... ;D

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Been using Maynards Skeeter Bug the last few days, think I like it better, Pill still is a great bait

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I have some gill pills but I think they are too light and sink way to slow. Good for less than 10 fow. I got some kodiak tungsens that are shaped like gill pills and since they are tungsten they are heavy. Cost less $$$ too.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:06 PM »
I've bought Gill Pill and Diamond jigs. The Diamond Jig(red glow) is working so well for me I haven't even tried the Gill Pill yet!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:28 PM »
I'll have to try some ... they look great.  I use marmooskas a lot, they look like an updated version (especially the diamond jig)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Well, i kinda like them...but IMO they are simply a cheaper wolfram

I've always used marmooskas 90% of the time, then wolfram's came along, and I use them mostly - but they are costly due to the tungsten construction.

tungsten is the key here.  You can have a smaller profile jig that fishes like a larger, lead jig.  very helpfull especially when fishing deeper than 15 feet w/ 2lb test.

the gill pills look just like wolframs, but no tungsten and cheaper hooks.

KDFRY, the kodiaks are lead http://www.dakotaangler.com/forum/index.php?topic=4268.0

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Almost all the of Kodiaks jigs are lead. See this link http://www.fishyum.com/servlet/the-Ice-Fishing-Jigs-%28Tungsten%29/Categories I think all these jigs are tungsten but I know the gold, copper and nickel plated jigs are tungsten. I bought quite a few of the flat belly, bullets and marmooska shaped ones at the beginning of the season. I can see where the tungsten was soldered to the hook through the plating. I see his stock on these jigs is way down, he had a bunch more colors and shapes at the beginning of the season. Only negative to them is you have to sharpen the hook because the plating gets on it and dulls it. For $.75 each I have no problems sharpening the hooks. If you like wolframs you'll like these. I just wish they had them in smaller sizes and maybe one size larger also.

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:22 PM »
I like them alot, but have one complaint, the eyeholes are really frickin small.  For a guy thats blind n one eye it can be a real pain to thread one on in the icehouse with limited light.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Almost all the of Kodiaks jigs are lead. See this link http://www.fishyum.com/servlet/the-Ice-Fishing-Jigs-%28Tungsten%29/Categories I think all these jigs are tungsten but I know the gold, copper and nickel plated jigs are tungsten. I bought quite a few of the flat belly, bullets and marmooska shaped ones at the beginning of the season. I can see where the tungsten was soldered to the hook through the plating. I see his stock on these jigs is way down, he had a bunch more colors and shapes at the beginning of the season. Only negative to them is you have to sharpen the hook because the plating gets on it and dulls it. For $.75 each I have no problems sharpening the hooks. If you like wolframs you'll like these. I just wish they had them in smaller sizes and maybe one size larger also.

well thats all I need to hear, i'm all for paying $0.75 instead of $2.50.  I will try them out.  Thanks 8)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:15 PM »
tungsten seems to be the way to go for newer jigs these days. 

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:57 AM »
I'm with topher, the firetiger works great!
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:07 AM »
They get my vote as  BEST NEW LURE,last year just about spanked any fish that swam,FIRETIGER,size 12,14 crushed huge bulls, crappie,perch,bass,and I lost a 40 plus pike at the hole.There are plenty of cheaper lures out there but CJandS make the best hands down,Ratso's,Ratfinkees,gill pill,demon spoons and demons are some the best lure you can use,75% of my lures are CJand S,great product.

Offline bambam389

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:52 AM »
I have been using the gill pills for a few weeks now.  I have doubled my hook sets and usually catch twice as many gills as the person next to me.  It is tough to run the line through them. 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I told you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.