New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sale Of perch  (Read 4129 times)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
Sale Of perch
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Please dont take this topic the wrong way i think it terible to catch then sell perch, but with all the regulations restraunts have to go through were can you even sell them now days. I dont fell anyone should be selling them. Period
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Sale Of perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:24 PM »
I don't promote this, but what about when you go out to a restaurant, and want perch or something? Then would you still feel this way?
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:28 PM »
If you want to sell your limit, I guess thats your right, but what of the places with no limits... legal and ethical are two very diferent things.
we've been debating this for a few days, here's the thread. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=74982.0

oh, perch can and are being cultivated for food at hatcheries on the canadian side of the St Lawrence with very successfull results.

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I would never eat the so Called fresh perch at a restraunt, most of the time it's farmed raised
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:49 AM »
I agree, farmraised fish just isn't the same. I dont know if its just me, but there is a difference in taste. ???

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:55 PM »
 In some ares perch are trash fish, other areas there highly sought after. They use to go crazy on the lakes here and catch big perch by the hundreds for sale. People get pretty greedy when the bite is on. The new limits 50 here helps and I don't care if they sell them. Most people can't catch their limit on a daily basis, and get mad when someone can, weather they sell them or just give them away.I personaly have never sold any perch but I know more than a few people that have.Utilize what you catch and don't waste it.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:17 PM »
Farm raised perch?  Never heard of that.

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Me neither, but Ive tried the farm trout and there is a difference.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:02 AM »
In Port Clinton Ohio, they sell walleye and perch in some restuarants.  My buddy purchased his boat out there last year and stopped to have some walleye and perch. 

perch@pans

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:27 AM »
Perch lake was a commercial perch "farm" for years before it was donated to the state I believe.

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOOHOO! ICE FISHING 2011!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:58 PM »
never heard of perch sale.I most not get out that much! :D thats ok with me, ill keep catching and eating my perch. :icefish:
And God said " let there be ice" and all was at peace.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Please dont take this topic the wrong way i think it terible to catch then sell perch, but with all the regulations restraunts have to go through were can you even sell them now days. I dont fell anyone should be selling them. Period
How do you feel about the real comercial fisher-men , The boats dragging nets etc. NO angler can match those numbers.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:41 PM »
never heard of perch sale.I most not get out that much! :D thats ok with me, ill keep catching and eating my perch. :icefish:
  Past experience here in Maine is, best way to clean out a resource is to put a dollar value on it. Greed ALWAYS wins! I believe that's why we can't sell wild fish or game in Maine.
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline jwn1976

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:54 PM »
All y'all have to realize one thing:  some fisheries can sustain harvest for sale. I don't know anyoone who does this, but I am like the rest of you and appreciate when I can catch a perch over 8".  Each Lake/Pond is unique and requires common sense.  99 times out of 100, the lakes in NY can sustain a limit catch.  Never let anyone make you feeel bad about taking a limit.  the good lord put us at the top of the food chain for a reason.  Just be responsible, and remember that our kids will learn from us.  It's a good thing when we can teach our kids self sufficiency!!!!
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:17 PM »
why would you sell a fish that tastes so good. and keep more fish than youll eat

thats why im happy with 1-2 deer a year...because thats all i eat i know many that shoot 5-? deer
"\
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:47 AM »
  I give all my extras to friends and family. Come to think of it I've got more friends now, must have been selling them for friendship.. LOL
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:37 AM »
at $1.75 a lb how can you go wrong and it legal too. so why not spend a day doing what you love and get paid for it. just remember there is a limit most places.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:48 AM »
I agree with fiddlehead. Best way to clean out a resource is to put a dollar value on it.

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Look back a few years when guys used to leave perch on the ice by the hundreds because they were too small and tired of catching them.  Now we keep those dinks and call it an okay day.  When will we ever learn???  People are quick to waste..   I truely believe icefishing puts a stronger strain on the fish population than any other time of the year.  Not all people fishing own boats and have the ability to camp on top of the fish like hard water fishing.  How many people that catch record size fish can do it all year long???  I know guys that catch those huge pike ice fishing can't do it during the summer !!!  Selling your catch is nothing more then greed and ethics.  Hope you take pictures to show your kids what you took from them. 

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:31 PM »
well said, legal and ethical are two completely different things.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:53 PM »
well said, legal and ethical are two completely different things.

exactly!
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:53 PM »
  Let's see, clams,seaworms,groundfish,seacucumbers,urchins,FIDDLEHEADS,crabs,lobster, the list just keeps growing.  :'(

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Sorry fiddlehead, but most of you Maine guys still leave your perch on the ice, or use them for your "perch hockey"...some of us eat them...If we could sell them in Maine, there wouldn't be any left on the ice huh?
It's all about Karma.....

Offline booboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:33 PM »
why would you sell a fish that tastes so good. and keep more fish than youll eat

thats why im happy with 1-2 deer a year...because thats all i eat i know many that shoot 5-? deer
"\

BINGO!

Even though it's legal, I don't see the need to sell perch.  My family eats 1 deer a year and perch probably once a month.  When I have enough perch in the freezer, I target something else for C&R.  Takes the pressure off both deer hunting and perch fishing.  A lot of what we do as sportsmen is pretty much on the honor system because the rules are so easy to bend and so hard to get caught at.  As long as selling perch or other panfish is legal, there is a great temptation to break the rules.  I'm a firm believer that market fishing can clean out a small body of water pretty quickly and have seen the examples to prove it.

:tipup:

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Sorry fiddlehead, but most of you Maine guys still leave your perch on the ice, or use them for your "perch hockey"...some of us eat them...If we could sell them in Maine, there wouldn't be any left on the ice huh?
Maybe you should come and take some yourself. I was icefishing on north pond,lake ontario way back 100 yrs ago,when I saw this guy catch a yella about 5 inches long. He ran up to his buddy a gave him a high five! I think I was stunned for about an hour over that. I couldn't believe the excitement that was raised for a yella. I told him to please come to maine and clean house. No limits anywhere. They were as stunned as I was then.

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:53 PM »
 I told him to please come to maine and clean house. No limits anywhere.   

My grandfather used to talk the same way about smelt in Canandaigua Lake, now go smelting there....  They went from filling wine barrels to now you can actually count how many you get in a night, if you get any.   

By the way this is a NY thread, keep those Glouster ideas of harvest everything till it's gone up there.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Alright then! Anybody for a game of perch hockey?   :D

Offline hamlin big daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch Herder
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:37 PM »
BINGO!

Even though it's legal, I don't see the need to sell perch.  My family eats 1 deer a year and perch probably once a month.  When I have enough perch in the freezer, I target something else for C&R.  Takes the pressure off both deer hunting and perch fishing.  A lot of what we do as sportsmen is pretty much on the honor system because the rules are so easy to bend and so hard to get caught at.  As long as selling perch or other panfish is legal, there is a great temptation to break the rules.  I'm a firm believer that market fishing can clean out a small body of water pretty quickly and have seen the examples to prove it.

:tipup:
There again. It's all about greed. Not the sport and fun of fishing.

Offline Wally1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:20 PM »
i dont sell fish but..whats wrong with a guy trying to make and extra buck...not everybody here makes big money....the way i look at it we buy fish meat ect...from the store...these people feed us.. when there a shortage of food...more money...so when steak fish prices go up i hope you all who think selling anything is wrong...dont wine...i dont sell fish... been with a couple freinds who do...these guys spend all day on the ice for a few dollars after bait gas ect...god bless em...they could be sellin crack to your kids...think about it...

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:21 PM »
I'm against the sale of perch in NY.  I don't see how anyone fishing waters with a 50 perch limit a day can make a dime anyways.  After paying for gas, bait, equipment, and man hours ( catching and cleaning), you are probally losing money.  If you want to sell fish, you should have to have a commercial fishing license.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.