Author Topic: Ice Conditions  (Read 2939 times)

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Conditions
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Hello All,

Because of the recent warm weather and rain, we need to hear about reliable ice conditions around the state.
Mostly to save someone, especially a kid, from breaking thru.

Here's mine as of today 02/06/08; (I drilled holes about 10-15 yds. out from the shore on these waters and observed waters with my binnoculars).

Burr Pond 7-8 in. with water on top.
West Hill 7-8 in. with water on top with open water at south end and around edges.
Hogback 9 in. with water on top, and some open edges.
Colebrook 9-10 in. with water on top, and some open edges.
Park Pond 8 in. with water on top.
Winchester 8 in. with water on top.
Stillwater 7 in. give or take with water on top.

This is the best I can tell you!!!!!
Be safe---- Picks, rope, maybe a float, and a buddy!

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:35 AM »
Thanks for all your hardwork !!! Looks like you had alot of driving and a busy day

Offline FoxyCleo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Nice report - must have burned some gogo juice an that. looks like we'll be ok  for this weekend

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:19 AM »
good report thanks

Offline Geno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:29 AM »
appreciate it.  I'm headin to Bigelow/Mashapaug this weekend and will return the favor
"when hell freezes over I'll be icefishing there too"

Offline fishfishfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:45 AM »
last week the out at mashapaug was 12 inches same at the hollow

Offline Geno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Guaranteed that Mashapuag & Bigelow are less than 12 with the rain we've had. But I'm wagering that the ice is still decent, obviously why I am going there this weekend

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Highland has 11 inches and little bit of standing water around edges, west hill is open for about 5 ft at the public boat launch, was originally gonna fish there but didn't want to launch a boat to get on the ice. So I went to highland.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Hi Duramaxdan,

What time did you go by West Hill today?
That open water at the boat ramp should refreeze tonight.

I was out on the pier fishing a 3 ft. wide 13 ft. long trough of open water right up against the pier.(18 in. deep)
1st just walked out to take a look, then saw two 19-21 in. Seeforellen Browns cruising the open water.
Ran back to my truck and got my 6 ft. ultralight rod out and started jigging. Both came in to take a look but no take.
Maybe a 1/2 hour later "The MONSTER" poked his head out from under the ice and looked my jig over but again no take. When I say "MONSTER" I mean it!! This Seeforellen Brown is all of 28 in. and I estimate around 15 lbs., maybe better! All these fish are real finicky. Tried at least a dozen diffrent size and color jigs but they just look at it, make a half hearted run at the jig (even tipped with spikes), then turn away at the last moment. "What a Tease!!" :o :o
At least they're still there!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Trouble is the open water trough will freeze over tonight! Back to drilling holes!! ::) :tipup: :tipup:
Again if you see a fellow with a bright yellow jacket, That's Me!!

SeaDog1

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:06 PM »
hey seadog, was there right around 10 -1030 am. Drove down the boat launch and checked the water. I was looking at the dock you were talking about and wondering if anything was under or around. Your heart must have been leaping from your chest seeing that monster. Mine gets pumping just seeing a fish. when you go there do you just park at the public parking right. I would love to really fish that lake, is it worth it to go to the underwater rock island? Hope I run into ya, I dress in all black and only jig.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Black Rock is solid. One guy was fishing at lunchtime, I had to get home to meet the cableguy so no fishing for me.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Rotnik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Anybody check out Bantam yet? I'm sure there is a good base of 8 inches or more, but I'm just wondering if there is any water out there or any big holes. I'm planning on getting out there tomorrow morning, and hopefully checking it out this afternoon, can anyone save me the trip?

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:23 PM »
tyler has 11 inches of nice ice a little water on the edges but all in all pretty good ice

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:01 PM »
tyler has 11 inches of nice ice a little water on the edges but all in all pretty good ice

Did you fish Tyler today?? want to head up sun. with my boy's any help would be great! Thanks!...Bob

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:24 PM »
i'll verify thickness at tyler as ctfish said 11 inches, i found fish at 8 ft to 22 ft some hugging bottom others were suspended at 10-15 ft in 22 ft of water. those fish are finiky couldn't get them to eat my mousie's will i did after i cut there tails off. I will never fish mousies again its only spikes for me...................

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Hi Dan!

Those fish you found, at Tyler, suspended at 10-15 in 22 ft., did you hook one?
They might have been crappies and they can be real finicky and skidish.
I found that if you fish (jig) 1 or 2 ft. above them they'll come up to hit it. Depends also on the water clarity.

SeaDog1

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Anyone fish Mount Tom today Saturday 2/9 ?  I am wondering about the ice there? 

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:24 PM »
yeah i caught one and it was a 7 inch yellow they were everywere!!!!!!!!!!! suspended and on the bottom caught at all depths

Offline pdbruzassr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:38 PM »
hey seadog, was there right around 10 -1030 am. Drove down the boat launch and checked the water. I was looking at the dock you were talking about and wondering if anything was under or around. Your heart must have been leaping from your chest seeing that monster. Mine gets pumping just seeing a fish. when you go there do you just park at the public parking right. I would love to really fish that lake, is it worth it to go to the underwater rock island? Hope I run into ya, I dress in all black and only jig.
I witnessed the same phenomenon there; it was like "JAWS". Seaforellon are not stocked there because they are called project fish for stocking East Twin and Wononskopomuc to remove alewives. Stop by the hatchery and they will confirm this. They raise them there but their main residents are derived from New York state breeders called Rome and Cortland strain. One of them grows super fast and big also as the Seaforrelon. I think I ran into you at the pond with the boat launch where I was fishing off the beach with my nephew in orange. I jig only also. The rock island is worth it with many panfish there.

Offline Geno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Hit Bigelow on Saturday. Once you got past the edges there was 14" minumum and ranged to 18+" in deeper water. Went home about noon after pulling 3 rainbows and a 5 bluegill. All small though...rainbows 10", 11" & 14".

Had a few flags go but most of my luck was by jigging with waxies. I has spikes, mousies, powerbait maggots and shiners but the waxies were the ticket

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.