New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: %$@(#@ Global Warming.  (Read 2176 times)

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
%$@(#@ Global Warming.
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Ok, blast away at me.   I have never seen weather patterns like we have had for the last several years.  What happened to the days on Sodus and Keuka drilling through 2+ feet of ice? 

It's time for this world to wake up and make some real changes.  We have to find alternatives to oil and fossil fuels, or there ain't gonna be any ice fishing for anyone in states like NY.  I can't wait to get the monkeys in this White House out of there- put in anyone else.  McCain, Obama, Clinton, anyone is better.  Put your bible down, pick up a god-damn science textbook, and let's start protecting our planet for generations to come.

I am that crazy?  Bleeding heart liberal?  Call me what you will- but think about it when you are thinkin' of those beautiful mornings on the ice and big jacks you won't be chasing this weekend.

Pokerman.

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: %$@(#@ Global Warming.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:36 AM »
figures - this is the year I purchased a power auger  :-\

I know enough to know that I don't know enough, but I do know that those emissions have to go somewhere, and they aren't natural, so they have to have some type of effect. I think both sides are right about some things and wrong about others, but there certainly seems to be something happening and it needs a global effort.

Oh well, I do have a boat, so that season appears to be getting longer... ::)

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Pokerman,
 Amen brother ! Anyone who has spent a lot of time outdoors these last few decades,and has an unbiased mind, has seen the results of a warmer climate. Action must be taken now, for the sake of our children.

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Power Augers, V8 trucks to pull 2 1000cc sleds, V8 trucks to pull fishing boats with 125hp + motors, Big V8 Trucks with engines running outside ice shacks, lol....i bfore anyone has a pop at me i also own a truck ....playing devils advocate.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Good thing we enjoyed pretty stable temperatures here for the last couple of thousand years then. Guess we'll go back to the normal cycles of this planet...getting warm then getting cold. I just luv that now they have data from a satelite that went over the North pole a month or so ago and have determined that there is an active volcano under the ice cap that has been actively spewing lava for years. And the best part is, the hole in the ozone layer just happens to be right over this volcano. Global warming???? More like the natural cycle of this planet for a few million years. Sure, we may speed it up a bit, but in the big picture it is going to happen whether we like it or not. I am sure the millions and millions of cars have no bigger impact on our weather then does the fact that our entire planet has a molten core giving off gases and heat.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:19 AM »
I bought the SUV with a six (which is good on gas/emissions, but struggles a bit with the boat some times), a 2hp auger instead of the 3, and I always hoof it out on the ice (especially this year), recycle all my beer cans - I even picked up my first pack of flourescent lightbulbs last night - so I'm doing my little part...

FrankM

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:24 AM »
For every weather expert that believes we caused global warming there are three that don't believe it.  I am not saying that the climate is not warming, but it has not been proven that the warming is caused by human activity.  The ice caps on Mars are also getting smaller so is that our fault too? The sun's energy output is obviously not constant if the ice caps are getting smaller on Mars.  I am not about to give up my car, boat heating my home or anything else just yet.  I certainly believe in conservation of energy so I try not to waste it.  If Al Gore really believed in his theory why is he still living in a giant mansion with $1300 a month electric billls and riding around in a full-size Yukon SUV?   Blaming the current administration for what is happening with the climate today doesn't really make sense.  It's just a knee-jerk reaction to the left-wing biased so called news that we get from the media.  Also I prefer to keep reading my Bible thank you.  I get more useful information from there than any other printed material.  There is more religion than science in "science" books today. A lot of the theories that science books present as facts are unproven and unproveable but still taught as truth.  With that said I still support renewable energy like windmills and solar power because they produce no emissions and building windmills and solar panels creates jobs.  I also favor reducing our consumption of oil in order to reduce the amount of money we give to radical lunatics that want to kill us.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:28 AM »
figures - this is the year I purchased a power auger  :-\

LOL   I just bought a 14 foot aluminum boat a couple weeks ago, for the winter when my other boat is in storage   ;)
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I blame this all on myself...I bought a new Jiffy Auger, and new Heritage Laker tip ups. And some other odds and ends totaling about $500-$600. If I wouldnt have bought anything new we would have atleast a foot of ice.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:37 AM »
When those mecury filled bulbs burn out, what are people going to do to dispose of them properly? How many people will have to drive their car to take this things to a hazardous waste disposal site?? Then again how many will just throw them in the trash? I think I'd rather face global warming then mecury poisoning. At least global warming will not contaminate the air, soil and water as much or as readily.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:44 AM »
When those mecury filled bulbs burn out, what are people going to do to dispose of them properly? How many people will have to drive their car to take this things to a hazardous waste disposal site?? Then again how many will just throw them in the trash? I think I'd rather face global warming then mecury poisoning. At least global warming will not contaminate the air, soil and water as much or as readily.

I can't help but point out that you, sir, sound like you either have a graduate's degree in biology and chemistry, or are a complete moron.  Can you guess which i am leaning towards?

Pokerman

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:47 AM »
for millions of years, the weather patterns have done this. i guess alot of people were asleep during that part of class. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Wasn't a need for a personal attack. Was just asking and stating what I felt was important to me and something we do have control over.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Wasn't a need for a personal attack. Was just asking and stating what I felt was important to me and something we do have control over.

Though air pollution does cause global warming, maybe that was his point!!!
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Point taken.
Didn't need to imply someone was a moron to make a point.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Point taken.
Didn't need to imply someone was a moron to make a point.

I don't think he was implying - he came right out and said it, which is unfortunate, I think. Personally, I think the free exchange of ideas and not shutting out opposite views is important, but that never seems to happen and it just becomes a personal attack (must be the influence of the elections ::))

I said it above and I'll say it again (then shut up) - I know enough to know that I don't know enough, and if scientists can't agree either, then I don't think any of us simpletons can say definitively either way....

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I'd agree, there is no one answer or no easy answer and only compounded by the fact that no one has an answer  :-\
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:38 AM »
its good to see some sense on here.
my question is how did the ice age end? yep it warmed up and I don't think there where any cars back then
to speed it up.
as far as the republicans. it is them that wanted to drill new on our land to eliviate our dependance on foreign oil. and the dems that screamed noooooo you'll hurt the forest's and land.  however with today's technology
that couldn't be farther from the truth. it's safer to drill now with less impact to the environment that it was when they where slammin wells into texas. 
I love ice fishing as much as anyone else, and there will always be places we can go. I would just like to see us let mother nature run her course. besides if it was such a big problem then the people being most vocal about it would be out there actually doing something in their personal lives to change. ya know gore and his 20 million dollar homes use as much electricity and gas as my house probrably do's in a year. he'd fly commercial instead of in a private jet, he'd put his money where his mouth is. ironically there was a story about the greenest poloticians house it even recycles rain water to be used for irrigation and is 80% solar
its in texas and everybody gasps when they find out it belongs to no other than gw bush look it up its fact.
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline jigginoff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a crappie day!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:54 AM »
All part of the natural cycle. There hasn't been an ice age in a while. You know what happened before every ice age? It got warm, ice melted, sea levels rose, then it got cold. Some day we'll be gone, just like all the other species that came before us on this planet. As for me, I just wake up every day and smile because I'm still here, there are many who are not here to enjoy the wonderful things the rest of us can, such as ice fishing! So don't worry too much, just be thankful your still here and able to enjoy the hardwater!

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:58 AM »
Let's face it, we miss having two feet of ice on the lakes! well when you get it back are you going to use your spud bar or hand auger? oh, I forgot there is pollution that comes out of steel plants and  land destroyed in the mining process so forget that.
When is the last time you walked or rode your bike to work or better yet....Fishing?
I'll bet there are no plastics in your house and you use straight water in the radiator of your car. Recycle??? Aluminum maybe,Paper o.k,  plastics 3-5% get reused in most items,glass well they tried to use most of that in the roads for a while.
And talk to the Garbage man for how much just goes straight to the dump. I am all for alternative sources, but I am not ready to give up my toys, and stop eating beef because of the pollution that comes from cow crap.
It's always easier to point blame to others than except blame on ourselves. If your intelligent and I am sure you are when did you start believing in the system or better yet a politician to change your world. We work for major industry and support them with our purchases...ALL OF US.

The thought of global warming sucks, and if your looking for a savior from that.
Maybe you should pick up a Bible cause ain't no man gonna save you.
Again it sucks, but lets not throw stones in glass houses.
Besides nuclear bombs and biological weapons will do this world in long before global warming.

Just another moron,
Wellsy

Offline BABOB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Come outta the wet"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Not to change the subject, but when calling those in the White House "monkeys" your giving real monkeys a bad name.  Probably one of the few things the Bushy's cant screw up is the weather.

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Let's face it, we miss having two feet of ice on the lakes! well when you get it back are you going to use your spud bar or hand auger? oh, I forgot there is pollution that comes out of steel plants and  land destroyed in the mining process so forget that.
When is the last time you walked or rode your bike to work or better yet....Fishing?
I'll bet there are no plastics in your house and you use straight water in the radiator of your car. Recycle??? Aluminum maybe,Paper o.k,  plastics 3-5% get reused in most items,glass well they tried to use most of that in the roads for a while.
And talk to the Garbage man for how much just goes straight to the dump. I am all for alternative sources, but I am not ready to give up my toys, and stop eating beef because of the pollution that comes from cow crap.
It's always easier to point blame to others than except blame on ourselves. If your intelligent and I am sure you are when did you start believing in the system or better yet a politician to change your world. We work for major industry and support them with our purchases...ALL OF US.

The thought of global warming sucks, and if your looking for a savior from that.
Maybe you should pick up a Bible cause ain't no man gonna save you.
Again it sucks, but lets not throw stones in glass houses.
Besides nuclear bombs and biological weapons will do this world in long before global warming.

Just another moron,
Wellsy

You all have very valid points on the issues at hand...but wellsy is correct how can any of us complain about anything when WE THE PEOPLE allow all this to continue...but the question is for how long?
FJB

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:32 PM »
lots of PMS in here

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:04 PM »
if everybody did as much as possible, it would help. just complaining does nothing. :)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.