Author Topic: Temperature or Windchill factor  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
Temperature or Windchill factor
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Does windchill have an effect on creating ice or should we just be looking at the temperature??
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Temperature or Windchill factor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Windchill is only used to express what the air temperature "feels" like to the human body given a certain wind speed.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:28 AM »
temperature only. wind hill does not effect inanimate objects only the living. has something to do with the wind blowing against exposed skin, making perspiration evaporate much faster and blood vessels constricting faster, thus reducing circulation to the exposed area. so it is a physiological response.
        the wind however can slow the ice making process over any open water regardless of temps.

Snot Rocket

I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:14 PM »
It should help it freeze faster because the wind draws heat from the ice. It will affect your engine block and it should do the same with ice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:32 PM »
I would agree that wind should help ice form by moving the heat away from the ice/water more quickly once its iced over.  Snow on the ice slows down the process by insulating it, so why wouldn't wind on an uncoverd water help it form? It can make ice a mess if its windy and not competely frozen up though, just like drilling tons of holes and having the ice chips freeze up in piles around them.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Windchill can only bring anything to ambient temperature.  In the case of water or an engine block, it can wick away heat quicker to bring down the temp but once there is a skim of ice on the water windchill should have zero affect.  In the case of an engine, once the heat has dissipated the engine will be at ambient temp.

or so I believe...........

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Not saying "windchill" will cause ice to form any faster or slower, just that "windchill" was developed as a means to give a number as it applies to how cold it "feels" to a human. Sure moving air will dissipate heat quicker from a surface, but "windchill" doesn't. As far as water goes, the air is still only say 32°. It may be moving at 10mph which will move heat away from the surface quicker, but the air temp hasn't changed and the movement of the surface of the water will take longer to freeze due to the molecules of water moving instead of resting. Then again, wouldn't the friction being created by said moving molecules also cause the moving water to create heat due to friction, therefore slowing the freezing process?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:46 PM »
As Sluggo stated, it is the "ambient" temperature that will effect an object's temperature.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Dont worry guys, I have six inches of ice and rain in the forecast.... I will just have to bring my chisel!!
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:55 PM »
windchill has to do with the speeding up heat exchange, anything warm will cool down faster due to wind, the temperature with wind chill is what is feels like, but there would be a cooling affect on any warm object, ever blow on a hot bowl of soup. wind does affect inanimate objects though it was -59 F here less than a week ago due to wind and causes many problems in an plant due to malfunction becuase of the cold, the wind aids in cooling the equipment for sure. steel exposed to the wind will burn you skin like a hot iron.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Better then what I have had down here. Was finally able to get out on 4" and now that is gone. Most places a little further north of me have more but, they are calling for upper 40's to low 50's druing the day and not much below freezing at night if that low in some places with more rain coming  :'( Might be a short season down here.

Kind of like adding cream to your coffe keeps it warmer longer...sure if it is colder then the temperature of the coffee it will cool it down but, the average temperature, once the initial cooling has taken effect, will last longer then if no cream had been added. The molecules slow down and do not dissipate the heat as fast. This is always some weird stuff  :-\
Gets even more fun when talking K° vs. C° vs. F°
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:22 PM »
FYI- ice will not form when the wind is blowing across it.( unless it's less than a couple miles an hour) ice forms on still, cold nights. there must be a link here somewhere. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:12 PM »
A wind-chill factor of 25° F (- 4° C) will not freeze water if the air temperature is 35° F (2° C). Water changes state according to the temperature of the body of the water. In this case, the water and air temperature are about the same — too high to freeze water.

Shark....you out there???
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Windchill can only bring anything to ambient temperature.  In the case of water or an engine block, it can wick away heat quicker to bring down the temp but once there is a skim of ice on the water windchill should have zero affect.  In the case of an engine, once the heat has dissipated the engine will be at ambient temp.

or so I believe...........

Several of us had a conversation about wind chill a while back. The guys that believed that wind chill had nothing to do with the temperature of an engine block couldn't explain why a vehicle stored in an unheated garage will start much better than one left out in the wind. My pickup will start very easily when it is -4 F outside, but -4 F with a 30 mile per hour wind it will grunt a bit and the power steering pump  will whine. I guess I have no explanation for this other than wind chill.  I would like to hear a good explanation though.  ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.