The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Limited out this weekend!  (Read 3601 times)

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Limited out this weekend!
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I finally got back to one of my honey holes.  Limited out in 1.5 hours.  Fished in 15-20 feet of water.  Color of the day was purple.  Bait of the day was a single spike.  I would take pictures, but I am sure you all know what a limit of panfish look like.  Crappies were 9"-11" long combined with some gills 8"-10" these made up my limit.  I know there are alot of guys reading this that did well also.  So post your success stories here and any pertinent info. you want to divulge.  ;D :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Limited out this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2008, 06:49 AM »
Way to go! Wish I could say the same.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Oh ya...Allegan County was the county of choice...so that is all I am going to give out on location.  We had snowmobiles and quads out on the ice to.  So the ice thickness thing was not a issue.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Good crappie bite that last 3 nights in the irish hills area.  Caught about 50 or so total with some redears and gills for a mixed bag.  Gills 8-10" and crappies 8-12"

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice Catch
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:26 AM »
But if your catching 10 inch gills please post pictures.You don't see 10 inch gills every day if most people measured them they would find out their biggest wouldn't top 9 inches unless their redears they are a little more common.If just leaving now so will post when I get back.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:59 AM »
But if your catching 10 inch gills please post pictures.You don't see 10 inch gills every day if most people measured them they would find out their biggest wouldn't top 9 inches unless their redears they are a little more common.If just leaving now so will post when I get back.

I will post the gill pic later got em on tape definitely a gill and definitely 10 inches, it was the only true gill of the day yesterday the rest redears.  The 2 bigger redears where 10 too but that is normal for those hybrids. 

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:39 AM »
I like to see pictures of big gills.I got my limit today in 2 hours but all were 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 no slabs but a great day and good eating

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Oh ya...Allegan County was the county of choice...so that is all I am going to give out on location.  We had snowmobiles and quads out on the ice to.  So the ice thickness thing was not a issue.

That was an absolutely useless post--

Just so you guys know--caught some walleye this weekend--Bay County, used a jigging pole. Id post pictures but you know what walleye look like. I hope this helps get you guys on fish
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:33 PM »
That was an absolutely useless post--

Just so you guys know--caught some walleye this weekend--Bay County, used a jigging pole. Id post pictures but you know what walleye look like. I hope this helps get you guys on fish

;) ;)
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:12 PM »
we limited out on sessions lake yesterday and caught kept 36 today :)
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:41 PM »
3 of us went out today at a local lake and we all limited out. All fish were caught between 12pm and 2:30pm. I would have to say that is was the best day I had ice fishing in quite some time. All our fish came out of 22 to 24 FOW and were suspended anywhere from 3 to 6 feet off bottom.

Nelson

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Hmmm gmalicoat...a bit testy today.  This thread was started with the intent to let people know fish were being caught.  It was slow this weekend for most but I thought it would be nice for people to brag on this thread about there fish.  I am glad you caught some walleye and I don't need to see pics of them.  I am sure that they were all nice walleye. ;) 

As for myself I limited out on panfish again.  Mostly crappie.  They were not slabs by any means this time but I kept the bigger ones for the frying pan later.  I am "sorry" I could not tell everyone reading this post my exact location.  I figured that the other 60 or so guys out on the ice today were doing a good enough job of spreading the word.  :o

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:15 PM »
But do the other 60 know how to catch them? I doubt it.  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icefish: :clap:

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:21 PM »
No the other 60 just look at me like **censored**.  This guy just walked out here 15 minutes ago and he has a half a dozen fish already.  I generally get a kick out a guys trying to catch fish with there rod just sitting on the bucket for 30 minutes with no bite.  I will not tell you how to catch fish...to each his own. :o 

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Fine tuning, an interesting concept that most don't understand. There is an answer, one simply needs to look for it. :thumbsup:

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:38 PM »
Fish size depends on the lake. Some lakes a 8" 'gill is huge, on another it's average. Weird, but that's the way it goes.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:22 PM »
I know Monday is not the weekend.  But while you were working I limited out again!  More panfish.....nothing spectacular.  I did have a local give me some crap about using my marcum fish finder.  "Uhhh you don't need one of those darn things to catch fish"......I just smiled and exchanged pleasantries with him as I left with my limit and he only had 8 fish. ;)  I am not a great ice fisherman,  I want to thank all of the guys who took the time to share some tips with me about catching panfish. :)  I hope I can share the same tips with other people in the future.

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:55 PM »
I hope I can share the same tips with other people in the future.

Well your detailed reports are a service to the community
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Love the flak, especially if I drop a camera down the hole to see if it's worth wasting my time there. Nothing, move on, find fish, drop Mr. Marcum in, catch fish and keep laughing.

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Could have limited out, the only problem is that my friend and i caught about 15-20 gills but they were all too small. i guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. :'( :'(
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Riley, look at the bright side...at least you caught a few.  And having a friend to fish with is always a bonus.   :o ;D

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Why in the world would you tell people you limited out, I would tell people that I fished Morrison lake and it is like it is rolling over, used my showdown this weekend, sure I caught a few fish, but there is so much stuff floating around in 21' of water the fish can't see crap, all of us could post we limited out, if we so chose to do it! which is stupid!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Put another mark on allegan county for producing a limit of fish!! Me and a buddy made it to our hotspot yesterday and caught 50 pannies in 2.5 hrs, 6 inches of ice.

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nice Catch
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:04 AM »

I AGREE. ever notice almost every post about gills they are 10 inches long? Crappie 12?  I have had many days where the biggest fish was an 8 inch gill or a 9 inch crappie. I suggest putting the tape right next to the fish in a pic if you are going to say a size. I have done this and have gotten nice replies on my posts.  Not calling anyone a liar, but we are fisherman ;)
   Just a suggestion.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Alright here is the pic of my 10" gill, it takes me so long to get these pics up due to are area having no high speed yet (dial up sucks).  Notice that he is a blue gill and not a redear.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:58 AM »
that's why my saying is.  when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish?
i catch so many big fish i don't have time to take pictures!  lol. ;D
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2008, 12:58 PM »
  Maybe people don't post where they are catching fish or how many they are getting because there will be somebody on these forms b##### and calling them a liar even if they post a picture. I seen one on here the other day where they were trying to nail the guy to the wall because he said the fish was 16 inches and another person said the fish was crooked on the ruler so it was only 15 3/4. Give me a break. I know I will never post where the fish are bitting or how many I get, Let everyone else find there own, if someone PM me that is a different story.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:44 PM »
The PM underground is alive and well  ;)

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great Picture
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Thats a nice fish and great job of putting tape on it.I live in Branch County and been limiyting out on Randall Lake but most are all 8 inches but all about same size.I usually fish lakes that will give up 9;s with a chance of 10;s but the ice isn't great on some of our better lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.