Author Topic: Help me understand  (Read 1251 times)

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help me understand
« on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I always thought snow was good for ice becuase it insulated it.....but I hear guys talking about the snow we're supposed to get tonight like it's the devil (7-14 inches in northern indiana).  Is it becuase the snow will be too heavy on the ice????  Please help me understand
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Help me understand
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:10 PM »
snow on top of the ice acts like a comforter it wont let the cold air to it to help it freeze .

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOOHOO! ICE FISHING 2011!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:40 PM »
snow is like a blanket to ice (anything more than a couple inches) it will melt ice. and yes the air cant get to the ice to freeze it. they probobly werent to happy with the snow cause its a b***h to walk through when you get a foot or more. :o :o :o
And God said " let there be ice" and all was at peace.

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:28 PM »
there isnt much ice only 5-6 inches here. I could care less if we got a lot of snow and there was 10 inches.

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Likes been said, snow is like a blanket of insulation. A heavy blanket. The weight also forces water up through cracks & holes making slush. Which weakens existing ice underneath and when it freezes makes poor white ice on top. Full of air like the snow. Not a good feeling to walk out on partially frozen slush. A thin layer of frozen slush, a layer of water (obviously above freezing temp.) and weakened ice underneath. Bad scenario. Likes been said also, a descent amount if ice isn't so bad, but on thinner ice, not good.
Ron

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:15 AM »
its nor really bad for the ice... its just a Betch to walk threw pullin a jet sled
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline madmichael365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:11 AM »
snow on top of ice acts as an insulation, keeping the cold air from reaching the ice which will slow ice growth, my opinion
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/fishincutie/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/IMG]

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:34 PM »
As others have posted if there isn't a good base of black ice like 4 or more inches, snow is the ANTI CHRIST for ice anglers, when it melts it gets sloppy,then when it freezes it becomes inconsistent for awhile.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:21 PM »
It really depends on a few factors..  a light dusting won't hurt anything, nor will a bunch of snow if the ice base is already solid and thick..  but a blanket of snow on thinner ice will stunt ice growth because it keeps the cold air from reaching it..  if the temps stay below freezing, it won't make much of a difference, but when you get above freezing, it can help accelerate the melting process I think

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.