Author Topic: Jiffy auger question-When tilted to its side it dies out  (Read 2850 times)

Offline TipupRyan

• IceShanty Rookie
So this thing is warmed up for about a few minutes. I just got it back from the shop to have it tuned up.  I go to drill holes and as I'm walking 20-40ft for the next hole and I tilt it a little the thing dies on me.  It's about 4 years old. Jiffy 3hp.  Any ideas?

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy auger question-When tilted to its side it dies out
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:37 PM »
i have an older jiffy and it does the same thing and always has but it don't bother me just give it one pull when i get to where im going to drill next.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:48 PM »
my 30 does the same its 5yrs old ,I have to carry it upright
How are the edges ?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:50 PM »
I have heard this several times , Do they have a safety feature to kill the motor in case you would fall or keep you from laying it down running ?

Offline Aucoin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Just bought a brand new one(same one 3hp jiffy) and it does the same, but I think it is because you're tilting the motor the wrong way.  When I tilt the gas tank so it flows down it stays running..if i tilt it away from the motor it seems like it loses gas and then dies. That is not a problem for me, but mine doesn't run right.  It takes forever to warm up, and it dies a lot. I usually have to give it full throttle and put the choke on half way to make it start and run right.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I used to own two jiffys one was 15 years other was 2 years both did the same thing sold them both baught a strikemaster 3 days ago and drilled 25 holes today.The SM never stalled once.I used to stick up for my jiffy and defend it when it stalled between holes,never again.Could never figure out why it would stahl had it looked at by small engine guys enough to buy 2 augers.Tight lines. ;D

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:02 PM »
I just got mine back from the Authorized Tecumseh Service Center today. Jiffy Model 30 9 inch. Fired up with one pull. It was my dad's and hadn't been ran in 5 years or so. They put on a new fuel line and basically cleaned and checked it over and got it running.

As soon as I tipped it to the side it died - JUST LIKE I HEARD IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO. One pull and it fired again and then I shut it off.

Check the Equipment - Ice Augers forum (where this thread will probably get moved to) - I guess the tipping to the side and dying thing is a safety feature (and a pretty good one I will have to admit).

Took it down to the lake and fired up with one pull - drilled a couple of holes and tipped it on it's side and it died - JUST LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO. Fired it up again and drilled a couple of more holes before shutting it off with the switch.

This was with whatever gas and oil mix the service center put in it. I picked up a bottle of Amsoil Sabre Professional 100 2-cycle oil today and a 1 1/4 gal. gas can. I will be running that from now on at the recommended 100:1 mix.

I plan on fine tuning according to a thread I saw on the issue once I have the new gas and oil in it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:09 PM »
I just got mine back from the Authorized Tecumseh Service Center today. Jiffy Model 30 9 inch. Fired up with one pull. It was my dad's and hadn't been ran in 5 years or so. They put on a new fuel line and basically cleaned and checked it over and got it running.

As soon as I tipped it to the side it died - JUST LIKE I HEARD IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO. One pull and it fired again and then I shut it off.

Check the Equipment - Ice Augers forum (where this thread will probably get moved to) - I guess the tipping to the side and dying thing is a safety feature (and a pretty good one I will have to admit).

Took it down to the lake and fired up with one pull - drilled a couple of holes and tipped it on it's side and it died - JUST LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO. Fired it up again and drilled a couple of more holes before shutting it off with the switch.

This was with whatever gas and oil mix the service center put in it. I picked up a bottle of Amsoil Sabre Professional 100 2-cycle oil today and a 1 1/4 gal. gas can. I will be running that from now on at the recommended 100:1 mix.

I plan on fine tuning according to a thread I saw on the issue once I have the new gas and oil in it.

While yours is STALLING JUST LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO I will be done drilling and fishing ,JUST WHAT YOUR SUPPOSED TO DO

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:29 PM »
All Jiffys do that, its a safety precaution. I've personally never found it a problem..just hold it upright... ???

Offline perchhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:45 PM »
My jiffy never dies on it's side, maybe I got lucky.  I've always drilled a hole, carried it by the top of the auger so it's horizontal to the next spot.

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Can't beat a Jiffy PERIOD!!  A friend has a strikemaster that's a few years old and has problems with it while he's drilling holes. On the carb there's special screws to adjust it,making not a friendly unit to adjust on the ice. At least with a Jiffy if I have any carb problems I can dial it in with a common leatherman or gerber and fish. A Strikemaster,  use it as an ice anchor. ;D
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.