Author Topic: Tip up Questions  (Read 814 times)

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up Questions
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:26 AM »
I noticed that most of the tipup line i like to use unly comes in 50 yard rolls now. Do you guys think 150 ft. is enough line?

Also what is the best size hook to use. We always use  two size 6 trebles in a quick strike, but have seen bigger and smaller rigs

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
Re: Tip up Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:29 AM »
ya 50 yards is way to short if u have a running pike but 150 should be fine snd i use a u hook with 6 inch shinners

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:45 AM »
cabelas sells dacron backing in black. it comes in 600yd. spools. last a long time. i use a mono backer to fill up my reels, then put 50yds. of dacron on. then the leader. hooks depend on the species sought. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Most bait shops around me sell in 300, 500, 1000 yard rolls
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:03 AM »
50 yards is way to short for salmon. They are just getting warmed up then.

Jimmy Claude    :tipup:_______<"(((((((><
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Depends on the lake you are fishing too.  If there is a lot of submerged trees in your lake, I think it helps to keep em on a short leash.  There is less chance for them to wrap around something.  Make sure you tie a good knot when you put the line on though.  I have taken numerous pike up to 17+ pounds with only 25 yards of backing line on tipups left out overnight and never had a problem with short line. The only real problem I had was when I changed to a deeper lake and didn't have enough line to reach the bottom.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:12 PM »
I agree with other posts that the amount of line you use depends on the depth you fish and how you use the tip-ups.  50 yards has alway been more than enough for me, but I primarily fish for pike in shallow water.  If your fishing a deep lake for big fast fish you'll probably need more line.  Especially if you like to spread your tip-ups far apart or if you fish where it's legal to leave them unattended.

As far as hook size goes, I usually use a treble hook that's just big enough to hold the bait securely on the hook w/ one point and hook the fish with the other two points.  For pike, I use a size 4.  Anything smaller I use a 6 or 8.

Offline spydula

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Ouch, Most of my tipups have about 50ft. some have 100 but only because a few holes I fish are 80ft. deep, I admit I should have more but if I have a break-off it's almost immediate and usually a pike as I don't use a leader.

as far as hook size, just a standard #2 wide gap works fine for me, from crappie on up.
...beer, is there anything it doesn't do?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.