Author Topic: Ice Fishing Tips??????  (Read 9888 times)

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
Ice Fishing Tips??????
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Hey I'm what you would call a newbie here, just went on my first ice fishing trip. I am hooked for life. Do you guys have any tips that would just make me catch more and bigger fish. Well I guess any tips in general would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re: Ice Fishing Tips??????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Invest in a good sonar...Vexiliar, Marcum, something and learn how to use it. It will help you fish more productive water more effectively.
FTD

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Spend alot of time on the ice trying to find fish.  "the fish are always somewhere".  Persistence will pay off.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Have to agree with getting a flasher. I fished for years without one and it sure does make a world of differance.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Flasher and Holes.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Hey I'm what you would call a newbie here, just went on my first ice fishing trip. I am hooked for life. Do you guys have any tips that would just make me catch more and bigger fish. Well I guess any tips in general would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

welcome home, bro.
i've been icefishing for years and i'm still looking to catch more and bigger fish. pay your dues and spend some hours on the ice.  with patience and hard work it'll come to you. read the shanty, sort through  the bs and you'll get some very good info and advice.
have fun,enjoy the experience, it's not all about catching fish
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Good boots and warm clothes...watch what others are doing on that body of water.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:13 AM »
The best information I can give you is to invest not just money but time. If you want to find bigger fish you may have to move away from the more fish, and vise versa. Be sure to give yourself the best chance at the fish. Be prepared and make sure your equipment is ready at all times so you spend more quality time on the ice than fiddling with equipment. Here are some keys I have found to help find more and bigger fish, more often.

Have the equipment, and make sure it works, and know how to use it to your advantage-flashers, quality reels and rods etc.

Being at the right place during peak times- fishing during peak times, sometimes includes prior to dusk etc (ask around local area for help), also includes pre-spawn, early and late ice.

Drilling lots of holes and using them- You dont fish in the same place all summer so why do it in the winter.

Be persistant or determined-if you get on a school of fish but all are small, get away and find the bigger ones DONT SETTLE

De different- Dont fall into a trend that doesnt produce, fish during odd times, bad days, or places no one else goes too (all areas have the ability to hold fish, just sometimes they need to be found)

Change gears- change depths, lures, baits, lure size etc. Dont just accept they arent biting, find what they cant resist

This is all I can think of right now. I hope it helps. The best thing to do is ask questions and try everything. Put in your time and work. It will definitely pay off.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM »
All of the above advice should get ya going. Here is some food for thought.
It can not hurt to spend some time reading through the 1000's of post here at the iceshanty. It will only help.
It can take some time to sort through the banter but its well worth it! There are so many productive
tactics out there for ice fishing and you will find most of them here.

Welcome to the greatest sport on earth and don't forget to keep safety on the brain!

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Be mobile!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2008, 06:57 PM »
Please tell us the color of the water you fish we a are not looking for gps  numbers , but this can help a lot with catching fish. JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008, 07:08 AM »
i think you and every fisherman should visit the d.e.p. in hartford and pick up this book about lakes and ponds. it is solely my fishing bible. it gives kinds of fis, fish populations, water depths, contours, and anything else you can think of. this here book has proven its importanance to the ice fishing world and has also taught and given me so much information. it:s a beatifull thing to select a lake to fish  and know dropoffs, depths, whats  fish are there and the entire lay out of the lake. i have found some great honey holes.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:17 AM »
the color of water is like a murky brown but not muddy

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I would start with Orange or firetiger. JMO

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2008, 02:57 PM »
Talk to the local bait shops about area lakes
Buy a Vexilar!!
Talk to people on the ice
Ask lots of questions in the forums
Definetly keep moving till you find fish
Dont leave fish, to find fish. Unless they're dinks!!

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2008, 04:23 AM »
 won't help for this year, but, check the places you may fish next winter throughout the summer. get charts and go out with a boat and find the spots that you'll want to be on in the winter. if you have a gps unit, save the spots. even with a low end unit, you can write the numbers down, makes it easier then punching a bunch of holes. maps, charts, articles about the area you plan to fish are always a help. pick the brains of people on the ice that you meet. not nessacerally exact spots but, general areas and bait/lures. bait shops, they want your business so, they will try to help. one of the books that is a good place to start is infishermen icefishing secrets. has a lot of good info for the beginer, and some things that oldtimers have not thought of.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:00 AM »
What kind of fish you hoping to catch? Anything in particular.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:01 PM »
time and patience is all you need. you just gotta poke around.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Make sure the lake is frozen before you walk out on it. :o

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:37 PM »
ya because your not gonna like the coldness when you get out of the water after falling through.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:17 PM »
What kind of fish you hoping to catch? Anything in particular.
mostly panfish

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Always watch a pearson that lives on the lake they will go to there best fishing spot first.JMO

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:21 AM »
As you build your arsenal of teardrops for panfish, make sure you have a few of the basic colors and sizes. White, green, chartreuse, red, black, gold, and silver. Look for good quality painted on eyes (black outline, white, with a black dot in the center). Get a few of # 10, #12, and #14.
As you get into electronics keep in mind they will help but you need to grasp the technique of what the fish want. Sometimes they want you jigging (actually more like quivering slightly), sometimes they want no motion, sometimes they want a lot of motion.

Welcome to the site. Welcome to the fun!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #23 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:24 AM »
dont be afraid to ask questions most people will be willing to help a newbie out  as to what is good for the lake you are fishing on :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I never in my life have seen such a bunch of great guys who are willing to help. It appears you gave yourself the best advice, joined Ice Shanty. KUDOS :thumbsup:

My two cents, stay mobile when fish are not present.

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2008, 03:05 PM »
I never in my life have seen such a bunch of great guys who are willing to help. It appears you gave yourself the best advice, joined Ice Shanty. KUDOS :thumbsup:

My two cents, stay mobile when fish are not present.
I couldn't have said it better myself, you all are a great group of guys!!!! Thanks to EVERONE for giving me advice to have to time of my life!!!!!! :)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Also check out some of the videos in that section of the forum. If you pay close attention to exactly how the jigs are moving (or not) when the fish actually bite will give some more ideas on how to present.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:55 PM »
try to remember that you are fishing straight down and not latteraly.

Keep a diary

learn about the spiecies you are targeting

watch what kind of mood the fish is in...then fish accordingly

learn about the moon

be very nice to your wife the day before you tell her you are going fishing...AGAIN
Run like He** if you see her going for the frying pan.

hope this helps ...and above all..have FUN!

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2008, 06:23 PM »
WALLEYETATTOO,

EYE HAVE ONE TOO!

One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I agree with bluecaddisfly about fishing the lake in the summer before you go icefishing there. This may not always be practical but when at all possible fish the lake in the summer first and mark your spots with a GPS. This scouting,fishing  has increased my success  probably ten fold when ice fishing, especially fishing small mid lake humps. I am usually fishing for walleye, and midlake humps in the winter really concentrate fish, at least here in Alberta they do. Fishing through mid day can be a bit slow but mornings and evenings are usually pretty hot. Also pick up a flasher, they are easy to move from hole to hole and very accurate. I have one with bottom zoom and for walleye fishing I find it invaluable. IMO stay with the real flashers, marcum, vexilar, or humminbird, there are some LCD units out there but once you see the detail on the true flashers you will see what I meen.
I gotta chubby

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.