New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Irondequoit Bay, Kids, and the "Machines"  (Read 1046 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Irondequoit Bay, Kids, and the "Machines"
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:01 AM »
I am hoping to get my four year-old daughter out ice fishing for the first time this year.  As you know, the key to fishing with youung kids is to take them some place where they will catch a lot of fish.  So I was thinking the NE corner of Irondequoit Bay.  My concern there is all the "machines" and the ruckus they make might frighten her (she's a little sensitive).  Does anyone know if they are out there every day?  Typically, what times are they out there?  What would be a good day/time to avoid them?

Thanks.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Irondequoit Bay, Kids, and the "Machines"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:05 AM »
They're out there on the weekends for sure. I think it's hit or miss during the week.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:54 AM »
You can call 911 and report them.........the cops will boot them , they are NOT allowed to access the bay from Sandbar Park !!!
ice fishing rules

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I don't go to Ibay much..  what are these machines everyone is talking about? 

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:08 AM »
What about an ATV i use to pull my hut and fishing equipment out with? Is this ok on the lake? Also, Is it safe enough yet to bring an ATV out on the ice at Irondequoit? Thanks

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:19 AM »
just a thought-
are there any small ponds or resovoirs nearby?
ibay is pretty big and wide open isn't it?
a smaller water might be quieter and more intimate,less windy, and you might have it all to youselves
pond bass are pretty easy to catch in the winter
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:25 AM »
There are, but I would think that Ibay is large enough so that the motorcycles don't need to be racing where guys are fishing.  Fisherman are sometimes limited to certain spots, you know, where the fish are.  Just because there's ice there, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good place to fish. 

From the sounds of it, all the motorcycles need is ice. 

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:03 AM »
I know of other smaller places around, like Long Pond and Cranberry Pond.  The problem is that those places are often "hit and miss".  The NE corner of Irondequoit is the best bet I know in the Rochester area to be guaranteed to catch a lot of fish, which is why I am thinking there.

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:16 AM »
There are, but I would think that Ibay is large enough so that the motorcycles don't need to be racing where guys are fishing.  Fisherman are sometimes limited to certain spots, you know, where the fish are.  Just because there's ice there, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good place to fish. 

From the sounds of it, all the motorcycles need is ice. 

You are exactly right.  As soon as the bay freezes a little more, you will be able to move to better fishing spots.  Which also happen to be places they don’t race. ;)

The NE corner of Irondequoit is the best bet I know in the Rochester area to be guaranteed to catch a lot of fish, which is why I am thinking there.

This is true, I started my daughter there when she was 4.  They don’t even have to try, to catch fish there.  Good thing about kids that young is they don’t care about size.

As far as the motorcycles, they are pretty loud, so use your best judgment.  If you go in the morning you may miss them.  I have been there several times where they set up the track around fishermen.  It always made me wonder what could happen if one lost it. :-\
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.