New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: AQUA-VU VERSUS VEXILAR which is better to have???  (Read 4635 times)

Offline bigyankesfan

• IceShanty Rookie
AQUA-VU VERSUS VEXILAR which is better to have???
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:03 PM »
looking to buy one or the other.  does anyone have any input on which one would be more productive for catching fish?  thanks
A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS SURE BETTER THEN THE BEST DAY AT WORK

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: AQUA-VU VERSUS VEXILAR which is better to have???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I can't believe I'm helping a Yankee fan....

Look here....

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=60403.0
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:22 PM »
You should have both for sure but your gonna want to start out with the vexilar first, pain in the butt figuring out depth with the aqua-vu. The Vex is the ultimate machine and the Aqua-vu will compliment it!!  :tipup:

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Don't have both but I do have an aqua-vu camera and a showdown unit.Showdown is the same concept as a vexilar(much cheaper 229)but has a vertical graph instead of a round one.

Camera pros.Can see structure,weed cover,size and type of fish,what attracts fish and how they react to different bait motion.Also noticed that fish DO move around a lot in the winter.I have fished areas that look good without seeing fish knowing that they will show up at some point.

Camera cons.Bulky,cumbersome,don't see far in murky water and only see a small bit of the water column(though since I usually fish water that isn't all that deep and the fish are typically near the bottom ,I don't find this to be too much of an issue).Also can be hard to direct at your bait.I have solved this by getting a MOPOD.It's a motorized tripod with a keyfob to turn the camera cord.Works great!!!!

Flasher pros.Easy to move around,sees whole water column.
Flasher cons.Can't see structure,weed line,type of fish,fish reactions.

Bottom line.If you plan on moving around(which,sometime,is the difference between getting skunked and catching).I like the flasher. If you really know the body of water or are willing to poke some holes and look down them to scout out a good area so you don't have to move around a lot.I like the camera.

Offline Slush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I have a fishTV and showdown.  Together the price is cheaper the a vex. or aquaview.  Fishtv works o-k to see structure but not alot of detail, but it only cost $99.  I'm excited to try the showdown and it only cost $229.  If you have kids the aquaview is a great babysitter other wise I would say the vex/showdown is a better tool to have.  My 2cents

Offline sunshine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Vexilar or the equivalent would my first choice. I have both and I find that I spend too much time playing with the Aqua Vu.
 The Vex is simply a fishing tool,and a good one at that.

Offline bigyankesfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:31 PM »
will a regular digital fish finder work the same for ice fishing?
A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS SURE BETTER THEN THE BEST DAY AT WORK

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2008, 12:56 AM »
  If you are going to invest in anything , I'd get a flasher first [ what you can afford] , then a camera.   
      Cameras can be cool ,but I find that I don't take mine any more because I don't feel like dragging extra weight plus they aren't as convenient.   I always use a flasher [ unless I'm in shallow , sight fishing].
     that's my $.02.........                                                                                  wiz
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:15 AM »
My vote is the Vexilar.  As it is, I have to contend with too much stuff out there.  Nothing at all against the camera though.  If you pull your sled with a machine, it would be easier to haul all the weight.  Just trying to get it done while travelin' light.
Grady

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:24 AM »
I know alot of guys who have cameras that leave them home, they never leave their vexs home though. If you want to catch fish buy a flasher, if you want to look at fish buy an aquarium....

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I have both, the vex is your best bet as a first purchase. i use the vex to find the fish, and use it almost exclusively. however once the fish are found the camera is a blast, and quite useful in observing structure, species and their bite behavior and your lure presentation. Amazing to see how many fish just looking at your bait/jig and to see what presentation makes them strike. Over all the vex is best though...wont leave home without it.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:31 PM »
ive got both and my vote is the vex hands down

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Camera all the way, I can tell what the fish are thinking when they approach the bait.  I know if they are going to bite just by the way they come in.  I have seen bites you would have never felt with any flasher, had it today with BASS.  If you can't pull another 5 pounds get a new sled or shanty.  I can pull all my gear with 3 fingers, I would never think about leaving it home.  Well worth the money every time, also summer time scouting for structure makes it a useful tool as well.  Also how do you tell what species are looking at your bait with a flasher? I'm sure someone will tell me but I doubt you can.   ;D

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't fishin' or huntin' you ain't living!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:16 PM »
I have both, and they both work very well! BUT i did have a bad experience today with the auqa view :'(Had the camera about 4 feet from my jig and noticed that the fish would come close to the jig but wouldn't hit it :-\,pulled the camera out and started catching fish one after another ;D I think when using the camera you should put it as far away as possible.Just my own opinion ::)
Harold Jr.       

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I have both, and they both work very well! BUT i did have a bad experience today with the auqa view :'(Had the camera about 4 feet from my jig and noticed that the fish would come close to the jig but wouldn't hit it :-\,pulled the camera out and started catching fish one after another ;D I think when using the camera you should put it as far away as possible.Just my own opinion ::)
how about marcum vx 1 vs vexlair fl8 wich would you buy?

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:22 PM »
I have the vex fl-20 and i can't say a bad thing about it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I would have to say the vex.
Harold Jr.       

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:32 PM »
looking to buy one or the other.  does anyone have any input on which one would be more productive for catching fish?  thanks
I would buy a flasher first for sure.Once you start using it,you will only use the flasher most of the time,guaranteed!!!
Harold Jr.       

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:38 PM »

WITH A FLASHER!!!
Harold Jr.       

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:40 PM »
WITHOUT A FLASHER!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :laugh:
Harold Jr.       

Offline fishliphooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:07 PM »
how about marcum vx 1 vs vexlair fl8 wich would you buy?
[/fishliphooker]just a humble input studied both in price/usage fl8 is the better pick/ & to cont. the topic to get the upper advantage on your game you should have both units but if you move around alot to find e'm vex is the way to go as was pointed out earlier the cam's are the topping on the cake to check reaction/behavior of the fish on that day w/ that bait! vexilar's find the fish one you know how to read e'm

Offline tightlineusny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Not even a question......flasher no doubt....camera will only show what is n front of it..flasher will show all depthes... today prime example....seen fish suspended at 10 ft. at caught them...would never had seen them with a camera...plus you can't see very good on the cam....not real good to see what is going on below you.

Offline eyejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walleye chaser
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2008, 01:55 PM »
i have been using the aqau vu and its the best tool for ice fishing u can see what the fish want and dont you can see the fish take the bait and every thing every time i have been out this season i have got my limit of perchand yesterday at sodus i could have kept doubble my limit and my fishing partner which is ice auger eeven saidyou wouldnt have done it with out itlike i said and i have been ice fishing for over 30 years its the best every body complians about catching little ones with the aqau vu you can pick witch fish you want to catch with a flasher you know there is a fish there butyou dont know what it is it could be a big or a small one alot of times the little fish will get it before the big with the aqau vu you can see whats going on and if the little one goes to grab it just pull it away and go for the big one i have done it a thousand times if you got the money go aqau vu all the way

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I bought an Aqua-vu XL 2 or 3 years ago.  I wish I would've bought a flasher instead.  The camera, IMO, is nothing more than a toy that distacts me from catchin fish. Not to mention--all the time I spend messin around with the cable and trying to get it positioned properly. AND... I don't have a shanty, so every passer-byer has to stop and comment and distract you some more...lol  Don't get me wrong--I do like meeting new people, but not all the time.  Thanks to whoever started this thread.. Anyone want to buy an Aqua-vu???   :laugh:   

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:44 PM »
I never fished with a camera, but since buying a Vex I won't go out without it. Buy the best you can afford and you wont regret it.

Offline eyejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walleye chaser
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I bought an Aqua-vu XL 2 or 3 years ago.  I wish I would've bought a flasher instead.  The camera, IMO, is nothing more than a toy that distacts me from catchin fish. Not to mention--all the time I spend messin around with the cable and trying to get it positioned properly. AND... I don't have a shanty, so every passer-byer has to stop and comment and distract you some more...lol  Don't get me wrong--I do like meeting new people, but not all the time.  Thanks to whoever started this thread.. Anyone want to buy an Aqua-vu???   :laugh: 
   if you had a shanty you wouldnt have that problem and as for the cord you need the tripod pm if you want to sell it

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:13 AM »
   if you had a shanty you wouldnt have that problem and as for the cord you need the tripod pm if you want to sell it

You're right man.. Plan to buy a 2 man towards the end of the season--looking to catch a good deal. Not just for that reason-I'd like to start taking my little ones out too!! I did buy a tri-pod before this season started, but still haven't used it yet. Maybe this week. Does the tri-pod help a lot??? Thanks for the offer on the potential purchase, but I'll keep it for the kids--might need to keep them occupied if the fish aren't biting.  :laugh:

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I have both a have a aqua-vu zt and a vex fl-18 i found with the aqua-vu i have tendency to watch th screen to much  but its neat to see what the fish think of your presentation. and its easier to change up to find something they like. And yes the gentleman was right it is nice to fish with one when there are alot of dink perch around because you can pick the bigger ones out of the schools. What i usually do is use my cammera to find fish and structure and use the fl-18 to fish. I still think the camera hanging down there spooks some fish. Just my thoughts
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:19 PM »
Funny thing, I have an aqua vu and I think the camera atracts fish.  I can't tell you how often fish come up just to nose up to the camera and I consistantly catch more fish than the guys around me with vexes and no fake blugills under their holes.  I think the camera makes fish curious and comfortable.  It also allows me to grab those pike that like to come through while you're perching.  I've done this several times...catching perch and suddenly a pike swims in and hangs around.  Grab my other rod with a pike jig on it, catch the pike and go back to perch.  Try doing that with a vex!  Want to know if you're on some walleyes or just perch, you gotta have a camera.  I'll admit that the vex is more portable and you don't have to drill an extra hole for it.  The vex also is more of an advantage for suspended fish.  However, with my camera, I am able to pinpoint the placement of my tip-ups allong the edge of a weedline and ensure that I'm jigging at exactly the right depth on top or next to structure. 

They both have their ups and downs and limitations but I don't regret buying my camera one bit and right now I don't think I need a vex.
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Jeb, great line. Dont put the cart before the horse. First the depthfinder(Vex,Marcum) then the camera. By the time your ready to buy the camera they probably will have new technology.

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Walk out on the ice and ask if you can see first hand both models from guys around you.  I did this before i bought my camera and glad I did.  It is your choice in the end, but watching flashing lines and seeing the fish firt hand was no contest for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.