Author Topic: Best way to cook a laker?  (Read 4463 times)

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
Best way to cook a laker?
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:43 PM »
i have never ate lakers before and was wondering what are some good ways to cook them?

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best way to cook a laker?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:39 PM »
brine them in a sweet brine and smoke them with apple and hickory or my buddy likes grilling them with butter and lemon and onion but i only like them smoked
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:54 PM »
 1)Remove head and tail and gut it.
 2)Season with salt, pepper, and (dill weed if you like it ) inside and out.
3) Stuff cavity with onions and some garlic.
4) place on foil lined cookie sheet
5) put it in your gas grill all burners on high to get it going, (top down) 350-400 degrees for 15-25 minutes depending how big the fish is.
6) when it looks almost cooked (look at shoulder end) back the temp down to 180-200 degrees.
7) let it bake low temp for 30 minutes to three hours.(depends on if you use smoke and how much smoke you want.)
 During this time put a  steel pan on the burners underneath with your favorite wood. (again top down on your grill)
 If you don't like smoke you can omit it, but I like it so much better with some smoke. I have used apple,cherry,mesquite, hickory.

The goal here is slow bake it enough to where most of the oil drips out but not to where it is totally dried out. When in doubt err to the side of more cooking, not less.

I find it is a good idea to prick the skin in a few places to let the excess oil run out.

This is pretty easy and easy clean up. Just roll up the foil and toss it. And you don't even have to skin it or scale it.

This works for browns and bows too. Lakers can be good to excellent. If they have been feeding on shrimp the flesh will be Orange red, if not they can be almost white. The are definitely better when feeding on shrimp, but I never had one this way that tasted bad.
 Guaranteed good for fish up to 23 inches, beyond that I don't know. I Never get them that big. For fish over 2 feet I would probably do it by filleting,  not whole.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:54 PM »
 take hook out then throw it back down the hole  then try for some panfish never been a big fan of lakers

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Fillet the trout and then lay the fillets skin side down on a barbecue grill on medium/high heat.
Drizzle zesty italian salad dressing over the fish while it cooks. Make sure you use the oil based dressing and not creamy style. Be careful to avoid flare-ups as the oil is flammable.
Grill for about 6-8 minutes or until flesh is able to be pulled apart easily. Pick out or cut out pin bones or tell guests to avoid eating them. This is a vey easy and tasty way to do lakers.
One way I have been told but have not tried yet is along the same lines as above.
Place fillets on the grill skin side down. Slather "Miracle Whip" dressing on the fish and then liberally coat with parmesan cheese. Grill until done. You could also add different seasonings to taste. Lemon pepper comes to mind.

Another way is to bake on the barbecue. Gut and behead fish. Stuff cavity with whatever you like. I use several gobs of butter, onions, lemon wedges, diced garlic and lots of either greek or spaghetti seasoning.
Wrap tightly in foil and place on grill on medium/high heat for 10-15 minutes, turning once. Carefully peel back a piece of foil to check doneness, you may have to cook longer if the fish is bigger. I love lemon with my trout so I make sure to have lots of real lemon quarters or a bottle of real juice on the table. Kind of knocks down the 'fishiness'.

I also smoke trout, but I eat that for treats, not serve it up as a meal.

Hope this helps,
Glen

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:53 PM »
take hook out then throw it back down the hole  then try for some panfish never been a big fan of lakers

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline dend54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:35 PM »
The best way I know how to cook one is to gut the fish, soak an oak board in water for a few hours place fish on board season with some salt and pepper a little lemon. Put it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350. Take out of the oven, put the fish in trash and eat board!  ;D  Eating a Laker is like eating a tub of lard.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I heat the gril up. I drizzle olive oil on the flesh side of a skin on fillet. I then sprinkle whatever dried herb feels right for the day along with some salt, pepper, and lemon. Then skin side down for 10 or 15 minutes. It is pretty good.

Left over it is not great. Other fish when fried is great left over in a sandwich.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2009, 04:56 PM »
The best way I know how to cook one is to gut the fish, soak an oak board in water for a few hours place fish on board season with some salt and pepper a little lemon. Put it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350. Take out of the oven, put the fish in trash and eat board!    Eating a Laker is like eating a tub of lard.
Never saw that dinosaur coming!  ;D

Good advice on the toss back, but if you do keep them make it a smallish one IMHO.

Grilled they're not too bad, and smoked is pretty good because they are fat!  Enough smoke will kill the "laker" taste in them.  Try them pickled too in white wine sauce.

TEAM ALASKA

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I filet them and then deep fry them.
Another way to kill the taste is coat the filets with mustard and then cover in bread crumbs and deep fry.
james

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:53 PM »
 There is'nt! put a walleye or perch in the fryer!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:57 PM »
lol ;D

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I filet them and then deep fry them.
Another way to kill the taste is coat the filets with mustard and then cover in bread crumbs and deep fry.
james
if you have to kill the taste of the fish to eat it, just put it back down the hole its not worth it

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:59 PM »
if you have to kill the taste of the fish to eat it, just put it back down the hole its not worth it

I hear what your saying, but every once in a while you get a badly bleeding fish thats going to die, and i just hate to waste them.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2009, 01:29 AM »
Togue chowdah.

LOL.
Under 14" fry in butter like a Brookie. Take skin off when eating.
Under 24" Bake, steak-n-fry or fillet your way, any-way...
Over 24" see above^   :laugh:

Seriously now. The tendency is, if you aren't sure (if you like it, or the method etc.), is to overcook it. That's the first mistake. As soon as I make it to the second, I'll let you know...

;)

A president once said, "I'm not a cook!"
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Smoke em or put em back. I have never liked Lakers unless they are smoked.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Man. You laker haters gotta get that grill out in the winter. Not only does it taste good, it's also one of the healthiest ways to cook fish. And it's easy. To each there own, I love them on the grill.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.