Author Topic: Convince me to buy a flasher unit...  (Read 12347 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: Convince me to buy a flasher unit...
« Reply #60 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:42 PM »
If another fisherman has to convince you to buy it, you probably can't afford one. I'm not trying to be a SA here. I would hate to see someone get in a jamb because they were talked in to buying something beyond their means.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #61 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I enjoy being out on the ice but it sure would be nice to catch fish.  I have probably only jigged up maybe a dozen fish in 3 years.  Most of my crappies come on tipups with fathead minnows.  But even then, if I get a half dozen in an outing, then I had a good day.  I just would like to be able to go out and catch maybe 20-30 slabs one day.  That's all I'm trying to accomplish.  It has been a lot of effort and expense in gas just to drive to the lake, so if I can increase my catch rate, I would consider the purchase well worth it.  I mean, I am gonna go ice fishing whether they bite or not.

But I would really like to be in charge of the affair, instead of letting the fish decide if they want to come to my house for dinner.....  :laugh:
Ok you have jigged up around 4 fish per year.

Then you say you you get 6 per outing which is a good day.

Then you say you want to increase your catch rate, but are going icefishing whether they bite or not.

You convinced yourself that you don't need a flasher.

Simple huh?

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you can't hunt---Fish!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:32 AM »
Actually, no.  It isn't that simple.  The first year I was just messing around with it, the 2nd year I started to go out a little more.  Last year I bought a clam and all the tipups and started to catch fish.  I work a lot of 12 hour days so my time on the ice is very limited, therefore I want to increase my odds.  In fact, If I do well, I am sure I will fish even more (weather permitting)

As for affording it, that isnt really an issue.  It is just a matter of will it be worth the money I spend.
Besides, I am kind of an technology junkie.  I love to play with electronics when it comes to hunting and fishing.   :laugh:

DRR324

« Reply #63 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Just a quick reply as to why I have my x67.  Fishing yesterday with a buddys son, kept having the gills come up and look at my baits but wouldn't bite.  I told him watch this- they like a green tear drop on days like this- switched his out and as soon as he got it to the right depth- bam, bam, bam, he was pulling them out as quick as he could take em off the hook- rebait and send it back down.  This was after sitting there watching them not bite for 5-6 minutes, we could see em on the screen but no takers.  Won't ever fish without it.....

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Slay, I was just over fishing Sugar Lake which is in your back yard from Cochraton. My friend and his son were sitting in a shanty not more than 10' from me. He was using a new Fl-20. Now grant you he is just getting to learn how to use it and its various functions. And I do not want to start a Vexilar vs Marcum vs Lowrance war. That being said, I had probably twenty assorted  panfish to their one. I even gave them the same lure I was using. I also understand there are a lot of other variables too( line size,presentation, etc) . My best suggestion would be is to try to get out with someone that has one and try fishing with it. Try the various brands and make your own decision as to which one fits your needs. Walk around and talk to the guys on the ice. Most ice fisherman are more than willing to share their knowledge. You rarely would ever go out and buy a car without taking it for a test ride. Why would you buy a flasher without first trying one? Lou

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:00 PM »
did you buy one yet? I hear good things about all different brands of flashers. I must have got lucky to buy the vexilar fl-8SLT for my first one! I've owned a couple others over the years that are no longer with me but that old unit took a beating for 9 years straight and I still use it daily! Good luck and enjoy any product you pick! you won't regret it I am sure.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:54 PM »
 Slay, I got a LX5 for xmas. So, I gave my ol Zercom to my brother. The first day he used it, he was reeling up and about  1/2 way up he saw a fish come on a bee line. He stop reeling and bam a huge Brown slammed his jig. Needless to say, he is a believer also. I am sure that we all can give examples like this. I would probably stay home if I couldn't take my Best buddy, the flasher... :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Just a quick reply as to why I have my x67.  Fishing yesterday with a buddys son, kept having the gills come up and look at my baits but wouldn't bite.  I told him watch this- they like a green tear drop on days like this- switched his out and as soon as he got it to the right depth- bam, bam, bam, he was pulling them out as quick as he could take em off the hook- rebait and send it back down.  This was after sitting there watching them not bite for 5-6 minutes, we could see em on the screen but no takers.  Won't ever fish without it.....

READ my post on 1/26/08 answer the questiuons.
I never asked anyones opinions back in 1989. I Started icefishing in '88 and the next ice season i was (a beginer with a flasher) pulling in 20, 30, and 40 fish per hole aftyer the the seasoned experts left the hole because ''there were NO FISH THERE''.Man were they pissed.
It does not matter if you have a $30 flasher or a $300 flasher you need to answer the questions previously posted.

Now that i have 20 years experience with using a flashers I  can do wonders.
Now I'm still waiting for my ''I wonder'' questions.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Why when you can buy a digital Showdown for $229, go to aqua view and see what they have to say, then use it during the summer while your vex is setting in the garage!

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:11 PM »
crappieloo, I won't have to wonder if it will help anymore.  I ordered the LX5 and it is due to arrive any day now.

One thing is for certain, if you always wish you had tried something, you can never improve.
I am happy with my decision, time will tell if it pans out for me.  I am willing to bet it will considering all the positive comments I've seen on here.
Thanks.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #70 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Slay I'm glad you made a decision.

c2223, I don't understand why you you park a perfectly good flasher in your garage???  They were invented for BOATS. My  20 year old fl-8 goes on my canoe after ice out.

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #71 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Why when you can buy a digital Showdown for $229, go to aqua view and see what they have to say, then use it during the summer while your vex  is setting in the garage!
I have a small boat ,bent a 24" pvc  1/2"dim.w/ torch looks like candycane.Used zipp ties on the transducer cable to the pipe and hung over side of boat.Works great year round any size boat.No way you can beat a flasher w/out god on your shoulder.I drive home if I forget to bring it.Just my 2 cents and my freezer is stocked.I have a fl18
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:06 AM »
I have to say, it is seldom that you ask about a particular piece of equipment and get "NO" negative replies.
It seems that everyone loves a flasher unit and the only things against it were basically, that it was better to know the lake and the target species you are after.  I think that speaks volumes.

It made me feel good about my decision.  Thanks again everyone!

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I have to say, it is seldom that you ask about a particular piece of equipment and get "NO" negative replies.
It seems that everyone loves a flasher unit and the only things against it were basically, that it was better to know the lake and the target species you are after.  I think that speaks volumes.

You'll love having a flasher.
Yesterday afternoon I went out to try to catch a few fish to eat. Even though I hadn't been to that lake yet this winter I knew the area to go to this time of year. I drilled a line of holes to find the bottom of the drop off. Caught 5 crappies right off the bat 4-6 feet off of the bottom. Without a flasher most people fish right on the bottom or at twelve feet down, all of these were between those depths. Then the crappies slowed down and after a bit of searching I found them hanging in shallower water only 20 feet away, still well off the bottom. I could tell that the fish were simply not where they were earlier, without a flasher many believe the fish just quit biting. Caught a nice mess before dark, 75% of them were because I could see them and moved my jig to them. When fish are coming through suspended there is nothing that will help you catch more.
Maybe the single thing a flasher will do is make you more mobile. It's like a drug, if you aren't marking fish you just have to try to get your 'fix' someplace else.

Oh and I have always used my flashers during the summer. They work just fine for me.

Tim

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #74 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:00 AM »

Slay,
       I'm glad you decided to get one. I just want to point out that in my post  [reply # 38] that I didn't say anything negative about using a flasher, I actually told ya in th e 2nd sentence & in the final paragraph to go get one. . & that I might get one too.

All I was suggesting to ya , was be sure to have some of the other "basics" that would help ya be a better angler/hunter. By knowing the prey/habitat/etc. Just wanted to clear it up, that I'm not against electronics. Just think it makes us all better to have basic knowledge

' Nuff said.  :D

Best of Luck! & "Watch your bobber!"
JB
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:09 AM »
 Plan and simply put, if I forget mine or the battery goes dead, I go home! I think they're the best thing ever invented for ice fishing other than the shanty.
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #76 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:29 AM »
If you want us all to convince you to buy a flasher then you dont need one. If you want one its plain and simple just go out and buy one. You will find out soon enough if it was a good buy or not.
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:33 AM »
MnSportsman
I knew what you meant, so I never viewed your comments as a negative.   :)
Honestly, If I had more time to spend on the hardwater, I am sure I would become more proficient at catching them with or without a flasher unit.  But since I don't live next to a good lake, I need to increase things in my favor. 

I just got done opening up my new Marcum.  Took me awhile to figure out the battery leads.  They don't really cover that much in the manual.  I sure wish all this 45 degree weather hadn't come in on my days off.  I think the ice may be too iffy.  I hope it gets cold again before the weekend.  We only had 3-6" of ice 2 days ago.  This could be real bad come Friday.  :'(

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Slay, you remind me of myself when making theses decisions.  I opted for the ameristep copy of the double bull blind and use it for turkey, deer and an ice shanty.  I don't like buying something that spends 99% of its life in the closet.  We get maybe 2 weeks of ice here and that results in 4 to 5 outings per year on the ice.  Most of the water is 5 to 7 feet deep where I target gills and crappie.  They can see the bait at any time within those depths.  If nothing bites I move on.  If one pole gets more bites I concentrate on that area and color pattern.  I really don't see a need for a flasher in those conditions.  I have pondered your question for 3 years and the warm weather and lack of time on the ice seems to justify not buying one.  I could rig it up for the canoe but it still seems to shallow in the areas I fish to justify the costs.  It's too bulky to carry it with me while wading and I don't think it works well from the bank.  Hopefully you enjoy yours and get multi-seasonal use out of it.

Yeah, I guess that's all it is in a nutshell.  Short ice seasons and shallow water fishing.  I went ahead and did it anyways.  Ya know, it's funny that you mentioned the Blind.  I own a double bull blind and often thought it would make a great portable ice shelter.  Just throw it in a tobbagan and set it up.  I probably would have been fine with just that instead of a clam shelter.  I just did'nt know if the hubs could withstand the high winds at times.

I would recommend more folks try your idea if they want to save the money.  Lord knows, without an open bed pickup, it is tough to load up the portable shelters. 

Good luck in your fishing!

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Fished last night caught over 30 + crappies kept 14.My uncle caught 2 fish  I had a fl 18 he had his pole.Is there anything else to say.Good luck snagger
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline double

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:21 AM »
The ice is still good at misery bay  on Presque Isle.  I use the lx-3.  It comes in handy when fishing for gills in Erie.  You can actually see when the crappies start moving in at night.  Otherwise you would never know they are there. 

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:36 PM »
I guess like Dirty Harry said " Do you feel Lucky " If you want to spend your day looking  for fish, go without a flasher. If you want to spend your day catching  fish, invest in a falsher and learn how to use it properly have fun catching.  ;D ;D

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:10 PM »
I guess like Dirty Harry said " Do you feel Lucky " If you want to spend your day looking  for fish, go without a flasher. If you want to spend your day catching  fish, invest in a falsher and learn how to use it properly have fun catching.  ;D ;D
i finely broke down and bought one myself last week its great easy to use you can actuly watch fish come from the bottom to get your jig gives your fishing a new look ;) come on you can do it. vex fl8 gander mt under $3oo you will love it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :flex: :flex: :icefish:

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Just so you guys know, he (Slay) already went out and got one or ordered one I think.  It didn't really take much convincing either, but I did like to hear those that do not have flashers chiming in and giving their 2 cents.  Good to hear different perspectives from many different people, in many different places.

Smitty

Crappiekeith

« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:19 PM »
What can't I say about a flasher?!  First it will help you locate the fish and you won't spend time trying to figure out what depth they're at, you can just drop your bait right to them.  Second you can see how they react to your bait ie. come up and take it, look but don't bite, no looks at all.  This can help you decide what the fish want on a particular day.  Third, it can help you find structure and you can see how the fish relate to the structure.  4th, you can always by an adaptor and use your flasher in the summer as well.  In my opinion it's money well spent.

Hope that helps
Smitty

I was gonna make the same reply ,but then I read yours. Smitty.

Why would a guy want to fish blind?
You can see if they are there and how they are reacting.What a tool.
Watch these vids.You'll see I was a Vex guy,but after fishing with a marcum and having a clear screen around many other flasher I had to switch.
I'll explain.I'm seeing fish,I'll lower to them.They are seeing my jig and raising.I'll stop my jig close to them and pull it away a bit.They charge and when their sonar signal covers my jig I'll look at my spring.When the spring bends I'll rear.

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pretty neat.
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I tried my Marcum for the first time today and caught 3 perch.  It was neat watching them move up to my jig after I lowered down to thier depth.  I think I am gonna be real pleased with this apparatus.   http://

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:47 PM »
Now if they could only put a scent wave in the sonar to make them bite we would be set. ;D ;D glad you like the marcum. and it will only get better the more you use it. enjoy  8)

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Now if they could only put a scent wave in the sonar to make them bite we would be set. ;D ;D glad you like the marcum. and it will only get better the more you use it. enjoy  8)
im new too, only problem i have is i move way to much now. no fish keep going. drilled 30 holes only caught 1 dink perch  ??? :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:49 PM »
i own both an underwater camera, and a vexilar and think they're indispensible tools.  just knowing there is fish under you is a HUGE confident boost, and you will be glad with your purchase. Just today i outfished my buddy who sat right next to me 6 gills to his 1. i ended up letting him use the vex while i checked all the tip-ups, and on my return i found that he had 4 fresh gills flopping on the ice.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:35 PM »
I was gonna make the same reply ,but then I read yours. Smitty.

Why would a guy want to fish blind?
You can see if they are there and how they are reacting.What a tool.
Watch these vids.You'll see I was a Vex guy,but after fishing with a marcum and having a clear screen around many other flasher I had to switch.
I'll explain.I'm seeing fish,I'll lower to them.They are seeing my jig and raising.I'll stop my jig close to them and pull it away a bit.They charge and when their sonar signal covers my jig I'll look at my spring.When the spring bends I'll rear.

I want to thank you for that post and particularly the vids.

It just seems there is hardly any really good material out there for the exact particulars of jigging and useing the vex. The very most basices you know? This is how much I'm jigging when we are catching fish. This is pretty much normal movement. This is what the screen should look like, this is what the bottom looks like with the vex adjusted properly. This is what it looks like when the fish are there.

People just trying to start out don't really know what you are talking about until they are actually SEE it to associate with the terminology.

This helps a lot, I hope you don't mind if I link to the vids in the future. They are indespensible in what I believe is the best way to learn/teach.

Step one. Tell me. (I'll forget)

Step two. Show me. (I'll remember)

Step three. Let me try. (I'll understand)

Step four. Repeat steps one through three as required. (I'll know)
"Be the one you want to catch"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.