Author Topic: NILS Master auger problems?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
NILS Master auger problems?
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Has anyone had problems with their NILS augers? I just bought one and had to send it back because it quit cutting after 10 holes. I am wondering if anybody has had the same experience with it. I also noticed that Cabelas has dropped these augers like a hot potato! ???  ???
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: NILS Master auger problems?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Cabelas did not drop them, they sold all they had in stock.

If your auger was cutting at one time, something was obviously done to the blades. It may have been from cutting through dirty ice. It may have been inadvertently dropped or banged. I have had my auger for 5 years. It has drilled thousands of holes and is still very, very sharp.
Pete Lewis

Offline p.c.icenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Rules for using an auger :
YOU NEVER SLAM IT DOWN TO GET A BITE ,TO START IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always just start turning .

Never lean on them . Just turn the handle . They will pull themself into the ice . That knob on top is there to keep it straight up & down .

When you have learned this , never let anyone else use it .

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:36 AM »
One thing is for sure this is the first complaint about nils ive ever heard, and i work at Gander Mountain, so I get input on many products from customers.  I hate to say it and of course i can't be sure but this sounds like user error.  If it was cutting fine at first, then logically something happened to it after that.  There really isn't much that could go wrong with the auger, aside from the blades. I've had my Nils for a long time and I've yet to even have my blades get dull (Thousands and Thousands of holes a year) I hope you get it figured out. :-\

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:45 AM »
I can't see any way you could bend the blades on a Nils.  Moras, yes, easily.  You have to make sure you don't have any ice built up on the blade, which will cause problems too. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline ChrisinSTJVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Had mine three yrs cuts like butter every time. Infact it almost seems like it cuts better every time I use it.Only trouble is when it is extremely cold and the water and slush freezes to the blades immediatly after cutting a hole it will just start down in the next hole a little harder,stiil never have to apply pressure though.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Has anyone had problems with their NILS augers? I just bought one and had to send it back because it quit cutting after 10 holes.

sounds like it got dropped to me.  The blades are awesome and self sharpening, but they can't take vertical force from being dropped

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:04 PM »
To all of the "experts",
 Actually, I DID NOT DROP IT!! , I did have it jam when I got it caught in some shove ice. This is a very common problem on Tawas Bay, MI. I have used Moras and Jiffys for years and never had this problem before. Everybody sounds like a bunch of cheerleaders for this company but, I think that with the 8" auger, The metal used is a little too flexible.
 For the large amount of money that they want for this auger, they should build it a "little" beefier. I am just letting everyonr know of this potential problem>
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:11 PM »
What do you mean by "shove" ice?  ???

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I have never had a problem with the ones I have!

In fact, I am convinced, there is NO other auger 8)

If you take it back, you will get another one and you will probably NEVER have a problem again with one ;D

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:39 PM »
What do you mean by "shove" ice?  ???
"shove Ice" is when you have an offshore wind and it busts the ice out, and then the wind reverses and shoves the ice back in under the existing ice. This ice can be up to 15' deep. That ice has to be removed so that your hook can get to the bottom. Common problem for a million acre pond.
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Gotcha. Thanks for the description. I can't imagine that kind of situation is good for any kind of auger. Kind of a tough deal you folks got out there.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:04 PM »
A bunch of cheer leaders!!! LMAO To funny. :clap: :clap:

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:39 PM »
RAH   RAH   RAH   Siscumbahh :P

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Never a problem with my nils, like a hot knife through butter....Where do I pick up my pom-poms :woot: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Go Nils...Go NlsGo Nils...Go Nils

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:58 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:09 PM »
try changing your blades, that should do it. it sounds like your auger might of got damaged blades.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Go Nils...Go Nls(Image removed from quote.)Go Nils...Go Nils

RG

Go Rig :clap:...Go Rig :thumbsup:...Go Rig :bow:

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:19 AM »
NILS NILS, he's our man! If he cant drill it no one can!!!  GO NILS!!!

Better get out my mini skirt and POM-POMs cause i love my NILS...I may even divorce my wife and marry my NILS.Did this guy join IS just to bash NILS ?

Snot Rocket...a bona fide NILS lover.

I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sympathizer. . .
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:02 PM »
P-Junkie:

My Nils 8-incher suffered the same problem (wouldn't cut a lick) at the beginning of its second season.  I asked questions on this message board and replies were much the same as yours.  The only one that really made sense was that the blade was touchy and had probably either been inadvertently bent or dulled. 

Because a new blade was not easily obtained nor did sharpening seem practical (I've had "experts" do more to hurt a blade than help it), I returned the auger to the retailer for replacement of the auger.  I didn't feel particularly bad about doing this because I don't abuse my equipment, and had no idea when the blade would have been bent or dulled.

I've used the second 8" Nils for a couple of years now (I'm more protective of this one), and it is cutting like the day I took it home -- I love it!

Good luck!  ;)2 
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2008, 09:25 PM »
To all of the "experts",
 Actually, I DID NOT DROP IT!! , I did have it jam when I got it caught in some shove ice. This is a very common problem on Tawas Bay, MI. I have used Moras and Jiffys for years and never had this problem before. Everybody sounds like a bunch of cheerleaders for this company but, I think that with the 8" auger, The metal used is a little too flexible.
 For the large amount of money that they want for this auger, they should build it a "little" beefier. I am just letting everyonr know of this potential problem>

You come on here, ask a question and then slam those who reply because they don't say what you want to hear. I don't get it  ???

Whether you want to hear it or not, I've had the same experience as the others. Ice built up and a friend thought he could clear it off by smacking it on the ice. Wouldn't cut worth a dam. Bought a replacement head and have been very careful with it. Always keep the protective cover on the blade to protect the blade and anything that might come in contact with it. This has worked flawlessly.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:47 PM »
why use an 8 inch auger to begin with? are you fishing for marlin? hell a few more inches and i could pencil dive down the hole...........i dont like "big HoleS"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:38 PM »
why use an 8 inch auger to begin with? are you fishing for marlin? hell a few more inches and i could pencil dive down the hole...........i dont like "big HoleS"

Personally I prefer an 8" hole because there is more room for electronics while jigging. Are we going to turn the 10" hole debate into an 8" hole debate?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:45 PM »

You must not catch big fish then....... ;D

I like not having to remove the vex when i get a big perch.  or not have to worry about turing a big fish up a small hole

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:49 PM »

Yes you had better not come fishing in BC for some of our monsters ;)2
Any laker over 35 lbs isn't coming up an 8 inch unless a mal nourished skinny one.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:22 PM »
man 10" is definetly overkill, i could pull a whale thru that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.