The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Does anyone use a "teaser" or motorized decoy.  (Read 5889 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone use a "teaser" or motorized decoy.
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:48 PM »
A couple of buddies rented darkhouses from a resort on Lake Kabetogema and they had little boxes made from the wind up part of a jewelry box. The wind up unit had a length of braided tip-up line and a red and white bucktail in the water that spun slowly in a tight circle.
One speared a 20 lb. Pike and the other got a 16 lb. Pike.

I recently bought a little motorized unit that runs off 1 "D" cell battery and does the same thing. I have a big Daredevle with the treble hook removed that I use on it. I have only been out once with it, but  did get a 4 lb Pike to come right to it. I had my live sucker about 1 foot above it and my fake red and white about 2 feet below it and he nosed right to the Daredevle.

An old timer told me he always used a golf ball half painted red with a tiny eyebolt screwed into the top of it that he would spin that drew them it pretty good.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Does anyone use a "teaser" or motorized decoy.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:27 AM »
A couple of buddies rented darkhouses from a resort on Lake Kabetogema and they had little boxes made from the wind up part of a jewelry box. The wind up unit had a length of braided tip-up line and a red and white bucktail in the water that spun slowly in a tight circle.
One speared a 20 lb. Pike and the other got a 16 lb. Pike.

I recently bought a little motorized unit that runs off 1 "D" cell battery and does the same thing. I have a big Daredevle with the treble hook removed that I use on it. I have only been out once with it, but  did get a 4 lb Pike to come right to it. I had my live sucker about 1 foot above it and my fake red and white about 2 feet below it and he nosed right to the Daredevle.

An old timer told me he always used a golf ball half painted red with a tiny eyebolt screwed into the top of it that he would spin that drew them it pretty good.

Where do you buy these motorized decoys at never heard of them ??? . I can see how they would work though because the only thing you need the pike to do is to come in, you don't need it to hit the decoy just watch it and I'm sure that those are a site to see in the mind of a Pike cause they love any thing that moves.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:41 PM »
http://www.darkhousespearingsupply.com/index.php?cPath=63_75

I think these are what he is talking about

-Bob

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Where do you buy these motorized decoys at never heard of them ??? . I can see how they would work though because the only thing you need the pike to do is to come in, you don't need it to hit the decoy just watch it and I'm sure that those are a site to see in the mind of a Pike cause they love any thing that moves.

I got mine at Gander Mountain in Bemidji. It's about the same thing as the ones on the Darkhouse Spearing Supply website , except it was only $26.00.

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2009, 01:25 AM »
I have made these befor pm me I will explain it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.