Author Topic: World record brown? rainbow? brookie?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
World record brown? rainbow? brookie?
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:47 PM »
We have all seen monster lakers and photos of the world record ,but how about photos of other hugh trout or possibly photos of world records.
 :thumbsup:

JJ

Re: World record brown? rainbow? brookie?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:15 AM »

JJ

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:18 AM »

JJ

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:28 AM »

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Hey captjj thanks alot those are JAW DROPPING fish.Hope to get up your way this year.Been real good on Indian and Blue Mtn. if you get achance try them out. :thumbsup:

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:48 PM »
those fish are just mind blowing! :o :o

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:43 PM »
I think thats a splake..
       Oh no not another brown-salmon debate!! When have you ever seen a splake with those colors??

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:12 AM »
Nice pics CaptJJ! 

I don't know about you folks, but that rainbow still doesn't sit right with me!  Not taking anything away from the proud angler, but that mutant doesn't deserve world record status.  It's more genetically altered than McGuire, Bonds, and the Canadian Olympic hockey squad! :D :D  (just teasin' eh!)  At least the good folks who log the records could place a nice bright * Asterisk * next to that freak, and hold up the integrity of natural fish world wide.  Just .03 cent JoY!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Nice pics CaptJJ! 

I don't know about you folks, but that rainbow still doesn't sit right with me!  Not taking anything away from the proud angler, but that mutant doesn't deserve world record status.  It's more genetically altered than McGuire, Bonds, and the Canadian Olympic hockey squad! :D :D  (just teasin' eh!)  At least the good folks who log the records could place a nice bright * Asterisk * next to that freak, and hold up the integrity of natural fish world wide.  Just .03 cent JoY!

Tell me more...what does it mean when "the good folks" place an *  beside a record fish?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:05 AM »
Troutguy I'll try not to highjack your thread! ;)

Sure Oleike...
The way I see it is that if a fish such as this triploid rainbow is allowed to reign on top of the record book, then we'll see many additional records fall in the near future.  The IGFA should at least allow a "split" category for fish such as the Manitoba Monster, and still allow natural fish to be counted as such.  The fish in question was given world record status despite the fact that it was likely a triploid, meaning it may have been genetically altered to carry an additional set of chromosomes that leads to an abnormal growth rate. I even read that this beast may have escaped from a nearby fish farm, (although that's probably not the case.)  If you've ever meandered through a fish market and ogled the trout that look like footballs with fins, your probably staring at a triploid bow.  The hatchery probably packed on pounds with some high growth nuclear powered fish pellets that caused the fish a mild heart attack or 12.  This fish looks JUST like one of those fish, except on a Goliath scale! 
I think I have a grip on this "triploid" thing ;)  By exposing the trout eggs to heat for a couple minutes, (or pressure) causes this genetic alteration.  These fish are prevented from sexually maturing or reproducing, (like a steer eh!) causing them to grow to maximum size.  We all know what happens when animals are sexually active and not altered, they stay nice and thin.  Kinda like some of us after a vasectomy!   :D:D  Fish that reproduce, (especially trout and salmon), spend so much energy that they lose weight and a great percentage even die.  So these genetic sows are allowed to eat and eat without the worries of mating and loosing pounds in the process.  They also get a jump start as fry due to their bloated size making them more apt to survive harsh winter conditions, as opposed to their weaker cousins.
I know it's probably an uphill battle trying to convince folks that a natural fish should be our norm, and records should be based on unaltered fish. :-\  With so many states going to these mutant strains, (including my state), we'll soon forget what a "real" fish even looks like!  So let's at least split the categories for those fish that have mutant cousins and call it a day, OR give them a catchy name like they did with the "tiger muskie",  OR lastly....... give them an *.)   :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:18 PM »
holy f@#^%$# balls!! altered or not!!!!!!! :o :o :o
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Troutguy I'll try not to highjack your thread! ;)

Sure Oleike...
The way I see it is that if a fish such as this triploid rainbow is allowed to reign on top of the record book, then we'll see many additional records fall in the near future.  The IGFA should at least allow a "split" category for fish such as the Manitoba Monster, and still allow natural fish to be counted as such.  The fish in question was given world record status despite the fact that it was likely a triploid, meaning it may have been genetically altered to carry an additional set of chromosomes that leads to an abnormal growth rate. I even read that this beast may have escaped from a nearby fish farm, (although that's probably not the case.)  If you've ever meandered through a fish market and ogled the trout that look like footballs with fins, your probably staring at a triploid bow.  The hatchery probably packed on pounds with some high growth nuclear powered fish pellets that caused the fish a mild heart attack or 12.  This fish looks JUST like one of those fish, except on a Goliath scale! 
I think I have a grip on this "triploid" thing ;)  By exposing the trout eggs to heat for a couple minutes, (or pressure) causes this genetic alteration.  These fish are prevented from sexually maturing or reproducing, (like a steer eh!) causing them to grow to maximum size.  We all know what happens when animals are sexually active and not altered, they stay nice and thin.  Kinda like some of us after a vasectomy!   :D:D  Fish that reproduce, (especially trout and salmon), spend so much energy that they lose weight and a great percentage even die.  So these genetic sows are allowed to eat and eat without the worries of mating and loosing pounds in the process.  They also get a jump start as fry due to their bloated size making them more apt to survive harsh winter conditions, as opposed to their weaker cousins.
I know it's probably an uphill battle trying to convince folks that a natural fish should be our norm, and records should be based on unaltered fish. :-\  With so many states going to these mutant strains, (including my state), we'll soon forget what a "real" fish even looks like!  So let's at least split the categories for those fish that have mutant cousins and call it a day, OR give them a catchy name like they did with the "tiger muskie",  OR lastly....... give them an *.)   :)

Natural triploids do happen in the wild(rare), so this isnt anything new...
If we are going to split them up, should steelhead be counted as a rainbow? ???(previous record) I dont think so...they get WAY bigger(well,not as big as that triploid :P)...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:40 PM »
That jumbo rainbow was caught in Deifenbaker Lake Saskatchewan. A resevoir with no natural rainbows present. All the trout in that system are escapees from a fish farming operation. They are even allowed to spear fish for trout in the lake.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Kyle,  Your right about the Triploids being natural, however, it's rare!   It's really rare to get the exact conditions that equates to such growth in natural fish.  There's a video of these guys (the fishing geeks?) catching some of these rainbows and not a one of them are small!  ;)  Now steelhead, that's a good question!!!!  I couldn't tell you the difference other than most are not minipulated in a lab like "Frankenfish."  I have caught 33" rainbows and steelhead and couldn't tell you the difference between the two?  Even straight run hatchery fish have the drive to repopulate, where Frankenfish do not.  What do ya think? ;D   

That jumbo rainbow was caught in Deifenbaker Lake Saskatchewan. A reservoir with no natural rainbows present. All the trout in that system are escapees from a fish farming operation. They are even allowed to spear fish for trout in the lake

WOW Drifter!  I think it would be a kick in the pants trying to spear one of those freakish toads under the ice.  If they move like a real rainbow, you'd miss an awful lot of throws!  (At least I would with my two left eyes and one short arm!) :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Actually they don wetsuits and dive for them during the open water season. I've never heard of anyone trying to spear them through the ice, that probably could be tough. That is unless they are too fat and lethargic from packing on all that weight!!! ;D

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:44 PM »
BTW spearing through the ice in Saskatchewan is ILLEGAL, underwater spearfishing is allowed
I think thats a splake..
       Oh no not another brown-salmon debate!! When have you ever seen a splake with those colors??

Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Regardless, it's a beautiful fish ;D

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:04 PM »
nice fish guys real nice brookie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.