The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spearing decoys  (Read 13131 times)

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
spearing decoys
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:32 AM »
i like to use a live decoy and a wooden decoy
What do you guys live to use.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: spearing decoys
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I use a live decoy, plastic, and now a wooden one. My brother bought me the wooden one for Christmas.  I only got to use it once, and the fish weren't real active when I used, so I have no comment for now on the wooden one.

My preferred decoy is a live one.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I use a live decoy, plastic, and now a wooden one. My brother bought me the wooden one for Christmas.  I only got to use it once, and the fish weren't real active when I used, so I have no comment for now on the wooden one.

My preferred decoy is a live one.

Same here, I go with live but I do own some Fake and I just cant seem to change because the live seems to work fine. But you never know maybe the Fake works better and I'm just to stuburn to give it a try :D. I like the biggest one I can find witch is usually 11" to 13", I dont like them 8"ers >:(

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Do you guys think to much stuff in the water scares the fish off? I am talking about a minnow as a decoy, a fake decoy, and a jig or 2 in the same spear hole. I prefer to have a decoy, and MAYBE a jig. There have been times when nothing works, so I will use a jigging rattling Rap, and "call" them in. I only do this for a few minutes at a time. I have had where 2 or more pike come in, spear one, and called the other one back in under one minute with the Rap.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:56 PM »
A always use whatever Whatpole has along ;D and I`ve seen Northerns come in and totally ignore the live minnows and go straight for the red and white plastic decoy.{darkhousefisher dubbed it Willie the Redheaded stranger}Also crushed egg shells help improve light on dark days or murky water and add highlite to the bottom of the hole.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:27 PM »
I used a live decoy and a fake in MT.  Here in Alaska live bait is illegal so I just usea a fake one.  I have a couple plastic Bear Creek decoys, but I like my wooden Duey's Decoy the best out of my fake ones.  I prefer a live sucker or shiner though.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:31 PM »
A always use whatever Whatpole has along ;D and I`ve seen Northerns come in and totally ignore the live minnows and go straight for the red and white plastic decoy.{darkhousefisher dubbed it Willie the Redheaded stranger}Also crushed egg shells help improve light on dark days or murky water and add highlite to the bottom of the hole.
(Image removed from quote.)
wow thats a cool pic! This spearing thing looks cool got any videos of spearing? :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:35 PM »
wow thats a cool pic! This spearing thing looks cool got any videos of spearing? :tipup:

Go onto youtube.com there are a few good ones there.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Nope no videos.took this pic the second day out on My first icefishing excursion in about 30 years.Was with My Son Darkhousefisher and that was willie The Redheaded Stranger in the hole. :) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:18 PM »
My grandpa had one of those red headed decoys. Once he lost it down his hole, he spent 8 hr getting that decoy back. He absolutley loved that decoy, o and he stuck lots of big pike, his biggest was 48". One of these years I'm gonna try it.

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I usually use both a live decoy and wooen one in the whole at the same time. what i've found is that sometimes they go for only the wooden decoy other times only the live one. Othertimes they attack both equally. :-\

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Othertimes they attack both equally. :-\

Are you saying you have 1 fish it both decoys at once ??? Man you must get the big boys  :o .

By the way I know what you ment just picking on your post ;)

Offline Yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Try using a live sucker under the fake. The Live decoy swimming around will make the fake swim also. You also cover 2 differnet depths! I sometimes use the golf ball trick as an attractant. Got several nice pike off the spinning golf ball ;D

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:32 PM »
I use a home made wooden one! ;D ;D ;D

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Try using a live sucker under the fake. The Live decoy swimming around will make the fake swim also. You also cover 2 differnet depths! I sometimes use the golf ball trick as an attractant. Got several nice pike off the spinning golf ball ;D
That sounds like a heck of an idea.I`ll give it a try.  :laugh: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:32 AM »
I've heard of guys hanging old music CD's above their decoy for added flash, anybody here do this or hang spoons above their decoy?  Just curious.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Same here, I go with live but I do own some Fake and I just cant seem to change because the live seems to work fine. But you never know maybe the Fake works better and I'm just to stuburn to give it a try :D. I like the biggest one I can find witch is usually 11" to 13", I dont like them 8"ers >:(

I take my statement back, I like fake better cause I just started to use them this year and saw allot more pike than I usually do but I must admit most where small but I would rather see the small ones than no ones :laugh:

Offline KENNYPOWERS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Anybody have any luck with these Lighted Decoys? I'm interested in this golf ball deal as well.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:22 PM »
I think lighted is just to catch fisherman not fish lol!
have had luck with painted golf balls on hillybilly spinners!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.