The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This Weekend's Tourneys  (Read 1648 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
This Weekend's Tourneys
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Anyone headed out to participate in a Tourney this weekend?  I saw there was a few around the state.  I'll be at Canyon Ferry,  and I'd love to know about how many others from IS may be there.  This will be my first tourney am Im really looking forward to it.   :tipup:

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: This Weekend's Tourneys
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:54 PM »
I am going to be there both days. I dont know if anyone ever got back with the sign up info about the CF perch derby this weekend, but on sat morning, they have volunteers out there taking entry money at the boat launch. then i think you can sign up for the team event as late as Saturday night at the Calcutta. I hope that at least one of us from ice shanty wins this thing. that would be great braggin rights.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I dont know if anyone ever got back with the sign up info about the CF perch derby this weekend, but on sat morning, they have volunteers out there taking entry money at the boat launch. then i think you can sign up for the team event as late as Saturday night at the Calcutta. I hope that at least one of us from ice shanty wins this thing. that would be great braggin rights.
I talked w/ the guy at the Silo's store and he said you can't sign up till 7:00 Sat. morning? I thought you could start fishing at 7.  oh well.  Guess I'll drill some holes and get ready, then go back and sign in.  Saw a poster today and it looked like there is also prize money for biggest Ling.  Guess I'll be bringing some stink bait.  :) 
Any other IS people going to be there?  Good luck to all, would be great if one of us did good.  Be sure to bring your camera. would love to see your winning whopper.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:10 PM »
I've been thinkn bout goin but havent many good reports from friends on the fishing or the best of ice conditions.  I might wander up there but not in the tourney.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:14 PM »
I'm mildly curious about what to use on CF.  I usually have apole with a blue stripped pimple and a northland forage minnow with maggots on them.  You think these would work or use dead minnows or perch eyes instead of maggots?  I also am curious if northland's flutter jigs that look like perch eyes would work.  Any input is appreciated and best of luck to you fellas in the tourney!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:21 AM »
unless I'm really up for trying something new, I generally stick to pimples tipped w/ maggots, after a catch a perch or two, I put an eyeball on, sometimes it works, sometimes I never get another bite using that.  I've never really tried anything else in terms of bait, but was with a guy that had on dead minnows.  he wasn't doing very well most of the day, but the one time he took his eye off the pole he almost lost it.
Whatever you do, get out and try something!  Good luck to ya! 8)

Offline MT perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Plan on fishing in my first tournament this weekend.  Not much experience with ice fishing--but thought we should give it a go...or at least a good excuse to break-in the new ice auger.  I was told to plan on being at the Silo recreation area around 6:30 to sign in.

If we come close to winning anything it will be pure luck!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:29 AM »
I think I'm going to hit up the Willow Creek Reservoir derby on Saturday.  Here is a link with some information on it.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/01/19/local/110lo_080119_icefishing.txt

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:30 PM »
How did all the Ice Shanty people do this weekend for tourneys?  I did the individual perch tourney at Canyon Ferry on Saturday but didn't go out Sunday.  I turned in 2 perch,  the first and third perch of the day, but both fell slightly short of victory.  First one was 11" and weighed in at .76lbs. the second was 11.5" and weighed in at .86lbs.  The winning perch was just over a pound (can't remember exact) but as I recalled there were 3 or 4 over 1 lb.  and a few in the .9ish pound.  Last year, the winner was around .94 I believe, so a slightly better year this year.  Overall though I hardly saw anyone doing well on the ice.  I got lucky with 2 nice ones in the moring, but only caught 4 perch all day!!!  And we caught 2 trout off the bottom w/ perch setups!! Our neighbors caught 3 or 4 trout off the bottom while fishing for perch.  I've never caught a trout off the bottom in 31' of water!  usually only see them around 7-15 ft.

Anyone else out at canyon ferry this weekend??????????????

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:36 PM »
A few of the over 500! trouney participants heading out on the ice Saturday morning at Canyon Ferry.

My first perch I weighed in.  11inches. 0.76lbs. not too bad for the first hour of the tourney. next one I turned in was a bit bigger. 11.5" 0.86lbs.

Waiting for the bite on a chilli Montana morning.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:07 AM »
1.09 lbs,the ONLY perch I caught that day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.