Author Topic: what kind of gps do you guys have?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
what kind of gps do you guys have?
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:24 PM »
Been looking pretty hard at gps systems and might be able to purchase one. Ive been looking pretty hard at the lowrance ifinder h20 model. Let me know if anyone has this model if its decent. tks :tipup:

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
Re: what kind of gps do you guys have?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:04 PM »
That is the GPS that I have and I absolutely love it, easy to use and catch on for first timers as well I think. Had a few before, and the H2O is my fav.  Bushnell has a pretty cool one too- can download the maps from computer to GPS, not sure how many downloads one gets, or how much memory the GPS has, but something to maybe consider. The lowrance uses freedom maps, which are also used on the lowrance sonars.  I consider it a good buy.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Hi fishin buddy,

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx.  It was the best hand-held that I could buy last March.  It still ranks extremely high as far as gps' go.  It has all the bells and whistles and is in color.

Here is the write up on it:

The GPSMAP 76CSx is one of the most popular models for outdoor and marine use. This unit features a removable microSD card for detailed mapping memory and a waterproof, rugged housing. The microSD card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment. Users can load map data and transfer routes and waypoints through the unit’s fast USB connection.

In addition, this unit features a new, highly sensitive GPS receiver that acquires satellites faster and lets users track their location in challenging conditions, such as heavy foliage or deep canyons. The GPSMAP 76CSx also incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation data and an electronic compass that displays an accurate heading while standing still.

Considered the mainstay among serious outdoor enthusiasts, the GPSMAP 76CSx offers a large color TFT display and turn-by-turn routing capability. This unit also floats when dropped in the water. Each unit comes with a blank 128 MB microSD card. Owners of these new x-series handhelds can also purchase new microSD cards that are pre-loaded with MapSource® Topo and City Navigator™ street maps.

Check out this company in MB for sales/service...this is where I bought mine. MSRP $379.00 CDN

http://www.prairie.mb.ca/product/010-00469-00.php

Same unit in SK runs around $50-$100 more if you can find it.

Good luck in your search....

shawno  8)

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I just picked up a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and love it.  The 76 is an awesome unit, but I wanted something a little cheaper so I got the next best thing.  But go Garmin, I've sold about every GPS around and Garmins lead the way.  And get colour...soooooo much nicer to read.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:31 AM »
I still like the H2o, and can get it in color as well.  Uses sd cards, in the battery compartment, and is completely waterproof.  Just does not float. 
  It all comes down to personal preference.  I have used them all and I like Lowrance the best.  And there warranty is like no ther.  I was guiding in NWT and dropped my GPS in the bottom of the boat, where there was water during the landing of a trophy pike, and this GPS was 2 years old, and not waterproof. I phoned lowrance, told them my story, and even with a one year warranty, they said to send it in.  I never had the receipt either, and they still sent me a brand new GPS.. The real kicker is that my model was no longer made, so they sent me the new model.  I also zapped one using AC adapter somehow in my truck, and was after warranty, and sent me a new one as well.  I have ZERO complaints about their service at Lowrance.  Rather unbelievable. 
  Special Note To WHATEVER You Get- MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER TO DOWNLOAD YOUR WAYPOINTS ONTO A SEPERATE CARD, CAUSE IF GPS GOES WITHOUT THEM BEING SAVED SEPARATELY, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR HOT SPOTS.  I FOUND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY- AND IT ROYALLY SUCKS.  3 YEARS OF GUIDING ONE LAKE<-MID WATER HUMPS & DIVITS AND REEFS- GONZO.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

pcsminer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:36 AM »
right now i have a garmin gps 12 it is an older model without maping but works great for keeping destinations accurate to about 12-13 feet on good days 30 feet on bad so you should be able to find your truck from there! I am however getting a lowrance ifinder go2 as a safty award at work and i will be selling one of them if you are interested!

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I have a Gramin as well and I love it.  Very user friendly and has all the options I will ever need in a GPS.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Have the exact same one pcs. Bought it years ago when I went on my first elk hunt in the Rockies. Good little unit for basic orientaion and way point marking. I wired it up to my PC and download all my way points to my TopoUSA software. As has been said, be sure to back up or copy all of your way points in case something happens to the unit. Those that use SD memory cards should also do this. Those cards can and do go bad sometimes.
I'll typically load my way points onto my PC and write them down on my paper maps also. That way I always have what I need when I need it. I can manage to get within a couple of feet of spots using it when the military has the SA turned off.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 02:00 PM »
i have a Lowrance ifinder h20 black and white and its great has all the options i need and will ever need. my dad has the color model and i found its a little bit nicer to read than mine. no complaints about them they are great units.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Lowrance does make good stuff, I have 2 of their GPS/Sonar units on my boat.  Which is why I say go Garmin, having a couple Lowrance GPSs and this new Garmin hand held, the biggest advantage to Garmin is mapping.  Lowrance screws you on mapping.  When you buy the software you can only download off of it 5 times then the disc is no good, with Garmin you can reuse the mapping all you want.  Both the 76, 60 and Etrexs now have microSD cards, so storage is no longer an issue with Garmin.  I've found my Garmin to be more precise than my Lowrances even though my networked sonars have a big puck receiver.  Go figure. See what you want to spend too.  Lowrance is much less money for the GPS, but you always get what you pay for.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:42 PM »
What downloads are you talking about?  The freedom maps of canada- you can only download onto 5 cards, which at even 2 gigs/ card only takes 3 cards.  Still have 2 more to use.  And can download onto the cards as many times as you want.  You cannot map with a gps- just the sonar.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:44 PM »
I think you have it backwards...GPSs have mapping, ie) Freedom Maps with Lowrance, MapSource with Garmin.  Sonar requires no preexisting mapping, nor would it make any difference to sonar performance...although it is nice to be able to mark waypoints using the GPS when I find something interesting with the sonar and actually have the lake mapped with the Freedom map so it gives the waypoint some reference.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:59 AM »
When I/we were talking mapping, I thought I/you meant charting the lake depth with the sonar.   My bad.  But I still don't understand how you only got 5 downloads from the freedom maps canada pkg.  Should be able to download as many times as you want on those 5 SD cards,  (that get registered).  So use big cards and no probs.  But from the last I know, can only read up to 2 GB, not sure if can use a big 4 or 8?  If your CD crapped out, don't hesitate to give Lowrance Canada a call, they will fix the problem.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Yeah, warranty is one area where Garmin is a pain.  Mind you, whenever I've had to send a unit back it was the customer's own stupidity and not the units fault.  Nevertheless, until Garmin's new depot opens in Calgary, the only warranty depot in Canada is in Quebec and no one speaks english, or at least not good english. 

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Don't you just love that----  Send back?  No no- need receipt, Have receipt?  Send to .... , ohhhh, your from where?  ohhhhh, well send to...... 
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:43 PM »
Well boys, Just remember when you're buying a GPS, most of the cost for the various units is all software. Take away the software and all GPS units are basically the same. As for myself I use a 10 year old unit has an aviation software program, but that is irrelevant really. It's a Garmin 90, they used to cost 950.00 years ago, can be had used on E-bay aviation dept. for around 110.00 usd. They are for sure the most ergonomic unit I have yet to use.   F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.