The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: SPEARING----LIVE or FAKE decoy  (Read 736 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
SPEARING----LIVE or FAKE decoy
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Hey guys cant wait to get my spearing shantys out, just made 2 this year. I have been doing this for 4 years now and I have done ok, but would like some advise. What do you think is best a live decoy, wooden decoy, or plastic decoy. I like to use a live decoy, the biggest one I can find(11"-13"). Also I am going to put out 2 shantys this year, like I said above, and want to know if it is legal to put out two shantys on the same lake with the same name and addres on both ???. I built two because I like to bring a friend out. If any one knows if it is legal please let me know. Any one out there have good advise for a floor in a spearing shanty cause if they are just wooden it seems to freeze and make alot of noise when you move to spear a pike and then the pike swims off :-\. Any tips would be great :D. They should put a topic on this site just for spearing, I know there is one for pike but I consider spearing in a class of its own ;)2 .

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SPEARING----LIVE or FAKE decoy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:00 PM »
i lake to a live and a wooden decoy

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Here is a post to comment about wanting a seperate spearing section.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=61430.0
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:37 PM »
I've only had experience with a fake decoy, but my father in law was tell me stories of using a safety pin on a live decoy to get around the two line rule here in Michigan.  Since the safety pin doesn't have a hook, he said it didn't count toward your two line limit.  You'd have to ask a CO if that was the case, but he said it worked for them years ago.

I've always wondered if a stringer of panfish would draw a toothy critter in.    ???

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I've only had experience with a fake decoy, but my father in law was tell me stories of using a safety pin on a live decoy to get around the two line rule here in Michigan.  Since the safety pin doesn't have a hook, he said it didn't count toward your two line limit.  You'd have to ask a CO if that was the case, but he said it worked for them years ago.

I've always wondered if a stringer of panfish would draw a toothy critter in.    ???

Yeah I'm sure it would draw them in but if you have a stringer of panfish than I can think of another good thing to do with them. Can you guess what I'm thinking of ;) . But I can see what ya mean not a bad Idea but I dont know if the DNR might have something to say to ya about that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.