The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: vex fl8-se genz blue box  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
vex fl8-se genz blue box
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:01 PM »
thinking of getting one would like some imput on this unit    thanks ron

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Re: vex fl8-se genz blue box
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I have 2 FL-8's.  One is for my 11 yr-old son.  I think they are SLT not SE.  Also, one is on a Ultra Pack mount and the other is standard, so I can't offer much on the blue box.  I think they're great or I wouldn't have bought the 2nd.  I concur with the idea that I won't icefish without it.  Actually use one in the bow of my boat rigged to the trolling motor.

Per my name I am definitely a jigger on the ice.  I do not fish tip-ups.  I move around until I find fish and use the FL-8 to show them and their mood to my presentation.

My vote is thumbs up though I know there are alot of other good ones out there as well.

Will take a little while to learn some of the finer details but the improvement and increased enjoyment will start immediately.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:37 PM »
 Hey Ronbo I have the same in the ultra -pac would not fish without just as jjt put, it save up for one FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:05 PM »
spud u think i should get it

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:36 AM »
I had heard so much about Vex's, but I never saw one in action.  About 4 years ago, I was out fishing when a friend shows up with one.  I couldn't wait to see this thing work.  He was nice enough to pop 2 holes right next to each other so I could jig in one and he in the other.  He was explaining to me what I was looking at, how the colors change with the fish location/size, etc etc.  I enjoyed using it so much, I stopped at Gander immediately after the fishing trip was over to get one.  I picked up the FL8 Genz Pack (in the blue holder).  Since then, I've had to change the battery because of use.  I will NOT fish without it!  I highly recommend getting one if you've been thinking about it....your jigging will never be the same again, or at least you'll learn about fish behavior. 
The only negative thing I can say about the Genz Pack, is that when it comes time to change the battery, it's a little a pain in the butt, but it's only 4 screws, so it's not even that bad. 
Good luck....tight lines and droopy nets!!! :)

Jenk

Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:52 AM »
Bought an fl-8 back in the early '90's, had to buy the Genz box seperate back then. Haven't ice fished without it since, unless I'm sight fishin' shallow water. I bought a Trap the same year and am still fishin' outta it.  Only thing I've upgraded on the Vex is I purchased a 19 degree ice-ducer with the float as they came with a 9 degree and an arm attachment for the transducer back then.

The Vex, without a doubt has become one of my most valuble ice fishin' tools.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:15 AM »
vexilar is nothing special, just put your line in the water and fish. RONBO, save your $.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:59 AM »
Luv the portability of my FL18 Genz box. Nothing fancy but sure beats my old Humminbird LCD that use to freeze up when it got below 20°. At the very least it saves from having to clip a weight to your line and lowering down to find the depth. Some like flashers, others don't. Some like Vex others Marcum. I just look at it as if you fish from a boat and use a depth finder, then why not use one for ice fishing? Especially since they are small and portable. It doesn't hurt to use one  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Get the VEX.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:28 AM »
vexilar is nothing special, just put your line in the water and fish. RONBO, save your $.

BB,
To each his own and if you want to set your baits and pray then that is up to you.  
How do you explain when you're not catching?-
A) The fish aren't there.
B) The fish are there but above your bait.
C) The fish are there but below your bait.
D) The fish are there but not too interested in what you have on or how it is being presented.
E) All of the above.

The best you could do is guess E but it still wouldn't help you catch fish until you tried a remedy presentation to counter each of those possibilities.  Would take a while and would change throughout the day.

The Vex answers each of those questions every minute of the day.

So fish blind if you want to.  I'm going with my eyes open and wits about me to find fish and find out what they want to bite on.  The Vex shows you what's happening down there.

For you guys asking if it's worth it to have a finder out on the ice my suggestion is to do what it takes to come up with the $200-$400 to buy one.  Cut corners elsewhere on your gear if you must.  A quality finder will serve you well for years to come.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Hoping to go out this Fri. Drop a PM. I'll let you use mine but, you gotta give it back after about 10mins.  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline ranger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:11 PM »
I just bought the kit from cabelas 3 weeks ago right before the
warmup and just got to use it this weekend. I have been ice
fishing for about 10 yrs without it but won't go on the ice
without one know.