Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: vexilar vs marcum  (Read 1568 times)

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
vexilar vs marcum
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:03 PM »
hey guys. i have a vexilar fl-18 and want to by a second flasher. I have looked at the marcum a little but have never used one. There are a few other units out there as well. Trying to decide if i should stick with another vexilar or venture into something different.Whats your thoughts? I like my fl-18 but if i am missing out on some thing i want too know.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: vexilar vs marcum
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I had an FL8 and FL18 sold both  got an LX 5 and LOVE IT.   For a 2nd unit cant beat the VX1 Marcum at $240 or so  has  bottom zoom even. My wife will be getting a LX 3 for  next season as my second.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I own a FL-18 Ultra pack and i bought a Marcum LX-5 this fall; you honestly you cannot go wrong with either brand IMO.  Ive fished with a FL-20 Ultra pack and they are really nice too.  I guess it just depends on how much money you are wanting to spend and what bells and whistles you are looking for.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I just got my lx5 not long ago.  I'd say the lx5 has an advantage with the moveable zoom.  Nice if your in deeper waters and want to zoom anywhere in the water column.  However, I do like vexilars floating transducer, marcum has an arm that you adjust and must move the whole unit to look at other holes as apposed to just moving the transducer on the vexilar. The lx3 will do everything as lx5 except the moveable zoom and I don't recall but the lx5 does have dual transducer also, not sure if lx3 does or not. Comes down to a matter of money and features you want really.  Good luck...

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Yeah I would have to agree with what Anderson_DC...  don't think you could really go wrong with either brand as it all depends on how money you want to spend and what bells & whisles you are looking for.  I personally have a Marcum LX-1 and with that it does not have that arm that Icey_Tom was talking about... it has a moveable transducer with a float on the wire just like the vexilar's, plus it has a bottom 5' zoom feature on it too.  It was hard for me to pass on it as when I bought it the price was only $199 (regular price is $249).  I have caught alot of fish with it's help too!!!  So I believe it just comes down to what your looking for features and/or price (IMHO).  Good luck in your search.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I've got some friends with various Vex's, Marcums, Lowrances, Zercom etc.  I sure love my Fl-12.  While on Mille Lacs we had a lot of flashers going and mine functioned well while the others had problems with interference.  Yes, we tried the reduction function and it worked great for me, not so much for them. The older Fl-8 models really didn't play well together. I don't have the zoom function, but don't seem to miss it too much.  I know a guy with an fl 20 and he's had problems with interference and is happier with his Fl 12 in that regard.  If you are alone it isn't a problem and the Fl-20 is sweet.  Maybe he just has a touchy unit, I don't know.  I think for the money the lower end Marcum with the zoom would be nice.  I'm actually considering it as well to have for my kids/friends to use.  I have seen the FL-12 propack II for under $300 with free shipping so that's hard to beat as well.  The lowrance unit seems to last much longer on one battery charge if that makes a difference to you.  Good luck.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:17 AM »
I'm a vexilar guy but hey give the other one a try.  Then you will of answered your own question.  I really don't think it really matters either way their both good.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Hi Gang!
  I like the  Marcum LX-5tc or the Vex fully loaded FL-20.  Both are really nice units.  I don't like the floats on the vex they get in the way and there is not enough zoom capability on the vex yet.  That is why I prefer Marcum sonars.
  Both are great units tho you cant go wrong with either!
  Da-Roc

Offline bird3337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:31 PM »
i've fished for years... and this is the first year i've owned my own vex.  so.... no more finding bottom and going up a foot!
when i fish in a group we all have vex's and the interference is a pain, but there's no way i'm going to complain!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.