Author Topic: Spring Bobbers (Indespencible, or nuisance)???  (Read 3445 times)

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spring Bobbers (Indespencible, or nuisance)???
« on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:48 AM »
   So I was curious wether you guys prefered to fish rods outfitted with spring bobbers or not.  Personally I wouldn't go out after panfish without one, but thats me.  So what do you think?

Offline Part_Time_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring Bobbers (Indespencible, or nuisance)???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:02 AM »
I use a Vexilar, so all I use is a spring bobber, since there really isn't much need for keeping the depth marked.
But I also use a slip bobber for fishing minnows for crappies. So I would guess it all depended on what you are fishing for.

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:36 AM »
There a great tool and when used with a flasher they are even better!
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline stilljiggn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DONT BE AN ICE HOLE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:00 AM »
    I had one rod with a spring.   Now they all do.   Its a must have for me.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:40 AM »
As someone with no electronics, I have them on all of my jigging rods.
I love a flag!!!!

DRR324

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2008, 06:18 AM »
A must have for me.  Used in conjunction with my X67c, they are on all my rods.  Plus the it helps the kids out as well.

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 06:19 AM »
if i'm using a heavy jig like a rapalla or a pimple for deep pearch or something i like no spring i get better control over my jig i use if with a camera and sometimes need real subtile moves to induce hits.  With smaller jigs there a absolute must. Its the best way to get those light bites.  if i cant feel the weight of the jig in the handle of the rod i use a spring
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:01 AM »
There on all jigging rod that I finesse fish with,a couple rods I just use for spoon fishing Frosty's ,forage minnows,little raps,are better without springs. My choice of springs are from a Bic lighter.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:06 AM »
Have them on a couple of light action panfish rods to use with very small jigs.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Used to be I didn't have a rod without a spring bobber on it for panfish, since the advent of noodle rods and then good UL ice rods I no longer use 'em. The softness of the spring bobber limits how ya can work your jig and your feel of what's happening below, albeit a noodle rod has a softness to it but the feel is better and I no longer have that flimsy thing on the end of my rod. I prefer the UL rods over the noodle rods for feel and lure control but there are days I'll go back to a noodle rod, some days the fish just like that soft action. I do not feel that ditching the spring bobbers has hurt my ability to detect bites on the other hand with a decent UL ice rod I think I may detect 'em better. Been fishin' without 'em for near 30 years now, fished with springs for at least 15, I'm an old fart. With the advent of some of the new jigs that fish heavy it's possible to tightline with very small jigs and maintain good feel and control.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 AM »
have spring bobbers on all my pan fish rods i use mostly finesse plastics and the subtle bites you get you would never see or feel with out it  ;D
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:21 AM »
I use both rods with spring bobbers and noodle rods. I use the noodle rods a lot more then the springs. Each has it's own situation that it is best in for me. I like springs for medium weight presentations, they don't work as well for me with 1 or 2lb line and very light baits.

Tim

Offline David Barber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Here is a write-up I did on this subject:

With the increasing popularity of Spring Bobber systems and rods, anglers all over have flocked to pick up the newest and greatest tool to add to their arsenal. Quite a bit of chatter has taken place over these great inventions. And while the spring bobber is certainly a great addition, it should be noted that, like all other baits and lures, use of them is limited to what the mood of the fish dictates.

Spring Bobbers provide a jigging action that really can't be duplicated by a strong (springless) graphite rod. Jigs can be manipulated to bob and swim with quite a bit of forgiveness provided by the spring. These slower presentations are deadly at finessing in the finicky eaters. This is evident in the surge in popularity of spring bobbers. Previously, noodle rods did much the same. But the Spring Bobbers go a step further in providing a better bite detection with less "noticability" by the pending catch. This presentation is always my go-to when I find the fish passing with little notice of my jig. Matching the Spring Bobber with the correct lure presentation will provide a more life-like action that can trigger more strikes.

Spring bobbers are a great addition. But, as I stated above, they still only have their place among the anglers aresenal of equipment. Spring Bobbers cannot take place of a good strong graphite rod on days where aggressive jigging is the key. Stronger graphite rods provide the needed ripping and jigging motion required when you need to call the fish in. When finesse jigging with a spring bobber goes un-noticed, a Rattling or buckshot lure pounded off the bottom can do as well for calling fish in for a closer look as well as triggering many reaction bites. Ripping a lure of bottom will also stir up mud that contains native forage that the fish feed off of. The visual attraction of a spoon ripping and jigging as well as the scent and site of the forage stirred up will sometimes be enough to lure those fish in for a closer look.

The mood of the fish will dictate which rod should be used at any given point in the day or night. When the fish are not inclinded to bite on a dancing jig, the Spring Bobber could cost you fish. At the same time, however, ripping and jigging could spook the fish as well causing the marks of your flasher to disappear quickly. To determine the best rod/presentation to use, you can do the same thing you would with your lure selection. A good flasher and/or camera will help you determine what the fish want. Watch how the fish react to a rapid or strong jigging motion off of a non-spring graphite rod. If the fish avoid your bait, switch to the spring bobber. And vice versa... if using a spring bobber rod does not entice the fish to flare their gills and bite, maybe a more aggressive approach warrants a try.

Most importantly, practice with both styles and have fun. Half the battle is figuring them out. The other half is trying to figure out how to tell the better half that you just spend a bunch more money on rods!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:25 PM »
i like um, make my own
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:33 PM »
I have them on all my rods and I make them out of .015 wire guitar strings.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I've tried a couple different springs on several occasions and just can't get used to them.  I loose feel or something, can't explain it.  I have settled on a 21" HT noodle rod that I can't be without now. 
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I like the St Croix bobbers. I find that they are very good at detecting "lifters" and "spitters". I know for a fact that I would miss allot of crappies without them. Sometimes I put the rod across my knees and work the spring with my finger. Sometimes the best action is minimal.

The best part of the legend springs is that they can be completely removed from the rod when you don't want them there. I want to have a custom rod made with the St croix spring on the end. I think the legend blanks aren't all that great.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:59 PM »
Spring bobbers work great for light biters here in PA. I linke the Legend bobbers and Marmish bobbers. Both are very sensitive and a must for small jigs and light biters IMO.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I have them on all my rods and I make them out of .015 wire guitar strings.

Sounds like a great way to stay in tune with nature!   :woot:

Actually I haven't used any sort of bobber for quite a few years. I watch the line or the Aqua Vu, which ever applies.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I most definately use them for panfish...as for Walleyes...well, they tend to be a little more aggressive ;)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I tried those real wimpy ice rods to indicate the slightest of bites, but they have no back bone to set the hook.  Atleast to me this is the situation.  So I use a stiffer ice rod and attach a spring bobber, now I have the wimpy indicator but a stiff ice rod to set the hook.

Perch Chacer
keep on hauling

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:26 AM »
I've never used one a spring bobber til this winter.On that day it just happened to be a tough bite.If I didn't have it on I would've drawn a skunk for the day.The perch I ended up catching were decent sized ones and they barely moved the spring when they bit.I can't even imagine how many fish I've missed over the years without using a spring bobber.I don't own a flasher so every little bit helps.I'm now going to put springs on my other rods as well.

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Here is a write-up I did on this subject:

With the increasing popularity of Spring Bobber systems and rods, anglers all over have flocked to pick up the newest and greatest tool to add to their arsenal. Quite a bit of chatter has taken place over these great inventions. And while the spring bobber is certainly a great addition, it should be noted that, like all other baits and lures, use of them is limited to what the mood of the fish dictates.

Spring Bobbers provide a jigging action that really can't be duplicated by a strong (springless) graphite rod. Jigs can be manipulated to bob and swim with quite a bit of forgiveness provided by the spring. These slower presentations are deadly at finessing in the finicky eaters. This is evident in the surge in popularity of spring bobbers. Previously, noodle rods did much the same. But the Spring Bobbers go a step further in providing a better bite detection with less "noticability" by the pending catch. This presentation is always my go-to when I find the fish passing with little notice of my jig. Matching the Spring Bobber with the correct lure presentation will provide a more life-like action that can trigger more strikes.

Spring bobbers are a great addition. But, as I stated above, they still only have their place among the anglers aresenal of equipment. Spring Bobbers cannot take place of a good strong graphite rod on days where aggressive jigging is the key. Stronger graphite rods provide the needed ripping and jigging motion required when you need to call the fish in. When finesse jigging with a spring bobber goes un-noticed, a Rattling or buckshot lure pounded off the bottom can do as well for calling fish in for a closer look as well as triggering many reaction bites. Ripping a lure of bottom will also stir up mud that contains native forage that the fish feed off of. The visual attraction of a spoon ripping and jigging as well as the scent and site of the forage stirred up will sometimes be enough to lure those fish in for a closer look.

The mood of the fish will dictate which rod should be used at any given point in the day or night. When the fish are not inclinded to bite on a dancing jig, the Spring Bobber could cost you fish. At the same time, however, ripping and jigging could spook the fish as well causing the marks of your flasher to disappear quickly. To determine the best rod/presentation to use, you can do the same thing you would with your lure selection. A good flasher and/or camera will help you determine what the fish want. Watch how the fish react to a rapid or strong jigging motion off of a non-spring graphite rod. If the fish avoid your bait, switch to the spring bobber. And vice versa... if using a spring bobber rod does not entice the fish to flare their gills and bite, maybe a more aggressive approach warrants a try.

Most importantly, practice with both styles and have fun. Half the battle is figuring them out. The other half is trying to figure out how to tell the better half that you just spend a bunch more money on rods!

Here is my opinion on the use of spring bobbers, if you,re fishing for pan fish down to 20 fow. spring bobbers are the way to go. If you like to use ice flies, spring bobbers are the way to go. Ifyou go deeper than 20 fow spring bobbers seem to lose there effectiveness.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Used to be I didn't have a rod without a spring bobber on it for panfish, since the advent of noodle rods and then good UL ice rods I no longer use 'em. The softness of the spring bobber limits how ya can work your jig and your feel of what's happening below, albeit a noodle rod has a softness to it but the feel is better and I no longer have that flimsy thing on the end of my rod. I prefer the UL rods over the noodle rods for feel and lure control but there are days I'll go back to a noodle rod, some days the fish just like that soft action. I do not feel that ditching the spring bobbers has hurt my ability to detect bites on the other hand with a decent UL ice rod I think I may detect 'em better. Been fishin' without 'em for near 30 years now, fished with springs for at least 15, I'm an old fart. With the advent of some of the new jigs that fish heavy it's possible to tightline with very small jigs and maintain good feel and control.
I feel the  same way however I do still have one rod with a spring on it,it just doesn't get used much.   I also don't use a sinker upto 20" unless I have a perch bite going on.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Indispensable for pan fish.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline orviskid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2008, 02:08 PM »
whats does the spring bob have to do with the electronics?

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Great info guys.  I've never used one, but picked up a 3 pack the other day; going to try them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.