Author Topic: I just realized something...  (Read 1987 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just realized something...
« on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:07 PM »
As I look out my window and see the pond is completely ice free I realize that I am accepting open water in January as not unsual. I remember several years ago when I thought it was freakishly abnormal to launch a boat on a local lake in January. Now it doesn't surprise me.

Anybody else realize this?

BTW I'm in northeastern Indiana.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline mnfishingdude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 43" Minnetonka Muskie - My First!
Re: I just realized something...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:17 PM »
I sure do hope that you guys get some ice sometime soon; it's just not right to have open water in the winter.  Well, at least you can still launch a boat. :-\

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:43 PM »
I sure do hope that you guys get some ice sometime soon; it's just not right to have open water in the winter.  Well, at least you can still launch a boat. :-\

It's on it's way. What's almost as abnormal is to have two or more freezes and thaws in a winter.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 AM »
It got down to -2F last night and we have had 10+ inches of ice on most lakes and ponds since the last week of December. It surprises me a little, I guess, that you don't have what I have. Generally speaking, if I have fishable ice, everyone does.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:11 AM »
Gets tough always fishing new ice or spring ice conditions though. Tough on the nerves. We've been using life jackets more and more throughout the season. Thought this was going to be our normal winter now we start over again.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:39 AM »
TAXI,

Did those ponds tighten up last night?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 AM »
actually i do feel the same way.  back in the day probably 10-15 years ago i don't ever remembering open water during january.  when i was younger going ice skating on the pond down the road from my house i would be on that pond by early december and it stayed safe until mid march.  but boy has the weather patterns changed in the last 10-15 years.  it used to be cold everyday during the winter when i was younger.  now we have a month or little less of cold, then a warm fronts moves in and kills any ice that was made, and then cold again.  it's a continuous cycle that now it seems normal.  if we ever get a normal winter where temps are normal, we would actually think that it's a cold winter, but actually it would be a normal winter.  just goes to show how long it's been to have just a normal winter.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Multi-Master

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:18 AM »
the past few years I've gone out its been like first or last ice everytime I've been out.

yes its getting tough on the nerves.  2 years ago was some of the weirdest ice I've seen.

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:51 AM »
It's a different world today, for sure. In tears past a normal year was out on the ice before the holidays, get a January thaw, then by the end of Jan. we' be driving out in our vehicles with a foot + of good ice. I haven't driven on ice (around here) in MANY years. Ice season was 2 1/2 to 3 month's then, now lucky to get one to 1 1/2. Open water is tough, too because we're always in some in between funk. Somewhat seriously been looking into alternative methods for getting out on the lakes (airboats etc...). Got to do something while waiting (again) for ice, I guess.
Ron

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:49 AM »
TAXI,

Did those ponds tighten up last night?

No, too windy yet.  :( 

It's 18 F. right now and they are wide open.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM »
i realized this same thing about a week ago!

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM »
If theres ice im Ice fishing if not im walleye fishing....Hey it could be worse :)

Offline Bingyork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM »
haha true, you cant beat Binghamton

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Sorry ;) dont know what your talking about. Weve had fishable ice since just a few days after Thanksgiving.  12" of good hard ice most everywhere right now. :icefish:

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:51 PM »
If theres ice im Ice fishing if not im walleye fishing....Hey it could be worse :)

Your'e right it could be worse. That is, we could have ice, but not safe to fish on which means no ice fishing and no open water fishing.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Some of you guys don't know how lucky you are.......
Down here  on Long Island, we're lucky of we het 5 weekends of good, safe ice per year.  Genreally it becomes safe around the end of January, and then it's gone by the first couple of weeks of March.
On the other hand, living by the ocean lets me fish the Saltwater all winter if I want to.  For the last few weeks it's been Blackfish - Ling - Cod every weekend.  Can't complain, but I sure wish we'd get some fishable ice!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:21 AM »
Five weeks of ice is about all we get up here some years anymore too. I wouldn't be surprised if that is all we get this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.