New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: take a guess how many perch?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline crappiekiller75

• IceShanty Rookie
take a guess how many perch?
« on: Jan 13, 2008, 03:49 PM »
no fish are under 8" most are 9"-11" a few 12"

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: take a guess how many perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 03:53 PM »
I'd say 47 at a glance, not much fun cleaning, though the eatin' will be better ;D

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 03:55 PM »
about 40

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 03:57 PM »

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:02 PM »
40... nice

Offline crappiekiller75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:03 PM »
all very close 43 and yes pain to clean but oh my god did they tast good ;D

Offline ski7doo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:49 PM »
nice, where were they caught??

Offline ol reb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Crappie
            Very good catch they must have been caught on a small pond. The reasoning is that the limit on some waters is 25. Did you catch them on your own or had help?

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:29 PM »
boy you might be changeing the name soon :laugh:

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:35 PM »
I'm guessing 43       :whistle:
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:36 PM »
No fair, those are perch ... your name is Crappiekiller LOL  ;D ;D
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:42 PM »
38 i counted twice lol

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:19 PM »
sweet catch
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Crappie
            Very good catch they must have been caught on a small pond. The reasoning is that the limit on some waters is 25. Did you catch them on your own or had help?

Is this some kind of attempt to bust the guy for catching more than his limit ???  If you read the NYS regs, the general regulations state 50 yellow perch.  Only a few places restrict this number.  In fact, there are more places with special regulations allowing greater than 50 fish than there are restricting the number of fish.

So, as long as these fish were caught in NYS, the odds are that keeping 43 yellow perch is perfectly legal. ;)

BTW, nice pile of perch. :thumbsup:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • All I want is fish with Teeth
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Ah great job crappie but any way if were gonna play that game, guess how many perch are here!!!!!

Def not as many haha!!!

all fish were between 11 and a pig that ReubenPA got that was 15and3/8
100% Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Offline ol reb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Blind Squirrel
                  I am not DEC out looking for a bust. I may be mistaken on the fish limit. I live in Otsego county and have fished Canaderago/ Skyler Lake. The reason that there was a limit put on perch was that there were too many people out catching them and selling them for a profit.I heard people tell me that at one time it was nothing to walk of the ice with 5 gal buckets full of perch.It really stinks too go fish some of these lakes and have a hard time catching fish in spots that i had always had good luck.So please don't get me wrong. If you eat them that is great, but selling them too make a profit is wrong.The people that told me that didn,t have real jobs.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:56 AM »
Nice pile o'perch!  Hopefully you r eating them all or freezing them for later! 

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:59 AM »
Blind Squirrel
                  I am not DEC out looking for a bust. I may be mistaken on the fish limit. I live in Otsego county and have fished Canaderago/ Skyler Lake. The reason that there was a limit put on perch was that there were too many people out catching them and selling them for a profit.I heard people tell me that at one time it was nothing to walk of the ice with 5 gal buckets full of perch.It really stinks too go fish some of these lakes and have a hard time catching fish in spots that i had always had good luck.So please don't get me wrong. If you eat them that is great, but selling them too make a profit is wrong.The people that told me that didn,t have real jobs.

So I was generally right.  It was a slam against how many the guy was keeping.  And I’ll state again, odds are that in any given body of water in NYS, this is a legal catch. 

Nice pile o'perch!  Hopefully you r eating them all or freezing them for later! 

Combined with the previous post, if legal, there is no reason any of us should judge why this person has taken this number of fish.  It is his prerogative what he may or may not do with them, it is not our place to tell him.  Eat them, sell them (still legal as far as I know), use them for fertilizer, feed them to his dogs, it is none of our business. 

As not to take away from this thread any more, I will start another where this can be debated until y’all are blue in the face.

Join The Debate
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:54 AM »
Blind Squirrel

Not too many years ago here in NY, there were no limits on perch, bluegill, and crappie.
 With the resources to procure knowledge and data regarding the populations of fishes throughout the state, regulations have been enacted by the DEC that now places limits on all of these particular panfish, as well as regulating all other aspects of size and quantity for all species of fish.
 These regs are obviously based upon the data regarding the amount of fishing pressure is present in the state, region, or body of water; as well as from fish population studies.
 If the DEC is confident that a body can substain X number of fish taken by each angler, I accept their decision and abide by it.
 I'm confident that the DEC does not incorporate into their decisions regarding numbers whether the fish are used as mink bait on a trap line, sold, eaten, given away, used as fertilizer, etc.
 If anyone does not agree with the decisions and specific regulations regarding a given species or body of water, this can only be because you must have better information than does the DEC as collected by their field agents and analyzed in their data bases.
 I wish I were privy to such information too; then I'd really know where to fish!!

Just my .02
"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Looking at those fish makes me want some batter, hot oil and a cold beer!

Nice fish.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:16 PM »

In reference to selling certain panfish, it may be a moot point in the near future. There are several bills in the legislature now that would ban all sale of pan fish in New York. Tough to enforce if Canada continues to allow the sale of fish. To lengthy to explain, had problems with lake trout for years being sold and even on the menu of Finger Lake restaurants because the sale, export and import of same was legal in Canada.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:21 PM »
could it be a problem also in the Champlain area if vermont does not follow through also? As of now there is no creel limit on perch in lake Champlain, therefore, lot of sellin and buyin.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:37 PM »
This topic has been jumped

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:33 PM »
40-50
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:36 PM »

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:58 PM »
MMMMMMMMMM Perch is delicious. I had some amazing Fresh Crappie sandwiches last night when I got home from fishing but perch is my favorite along with walleye.

Nice Catch Guys

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Nice!!!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:59 PM »
The guys asked how many perch there are    I say 44

Offline crappiekiller75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:09 PM »
hey blindsquirrel..thanks for watchin my back. ;D. lol and just so everyone knows they were caught at sodus bay and yes squirrel is right.50 is the limit.i took 43.and after i took that pic i drove over them with my f250 diesel and smushed'em into the ground :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.just kidden ate 20 vaccume packed the rest. ;D ;D

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:28 PM »
WHY ???   WHY ???   WHY ???

Would everyone just respond to the topic of the threads that are posted :nono:

I and the other 15,985 Shanty members are SICK of the PETTY BS!

Go to one of the sites where that crap is welcome and leave this site to what Iceshanty intended it for...Ice Fishing :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.