The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How is everyone doing on the Laramie Plains lakes?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline mackdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
How is everyone doing on the Laramie Plains lakes?
« on: Jan 13, 2008, 12:10 AM »
I haven't been able to fish much this year and I'd like to know which of the Laramie Plains lakes are doing well. I fished Hattie this mourning. We caught a lot of perch out in the deeper water. Didn't see but two trout and didn't bring 'em through the hole but I bet I would have better luck with them in shallower water. Anyway, I'd like to hear how the other lakes in the area are doing.
The mack daddy in the ice.

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How is everyone doing on the Laramie Plains lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Mackdaddy

How deep of water were you in?  What part of the lake were you on? 

Offline mackdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 01:32 PM »
Mackdaddy

How deep of water were you in?  What part of the lake were you on? 

I was on the midwest part of the lake way out in the middle. The water was about 25-30 ft deep. We had a lot of perch come in. they responded well to a silver spoon, which brought them to us from the other parts of the lake.
The mack daddy in the ice.

Offline manual auger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:08 PM »
how thick is the ice?

Offline MaineWyofishslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:14 PM »
i was on hattie last week and there was about a foot of good solid ice. i watched one guy drive his pickup out there. headed there in the morning after work. will post results
Watch your top knot!

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Does any know which of the other Plains Lakes have perch in them?  Anyone catching any?  I heard Diamond had some but don't know for sure?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:41 PM »
just got back from hattie not to long ago. did good on perch. they turned on about 3:45 where i was fishing. kept 20 and let alot of smaller ones go. Next stop back to glendo!
Watch your top knot!

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:16 PM »
just got back from hattie not to long ago. did good on perch. they turned on about 3:45 where i was fishing. kept 20 and let alot of smaller ones go. Next stop back to glendo!

What part of the lake were you fishing and how deep?  I'm planning on heading over this long weekend and try to improve my luck.  Anything special you tried?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:09 AM »
today i was just to the right of the pressure ridge in 20ft. i fished both sides of it in about 20 ft and done good. today i was using a small chartruese jig tipped with a wax worm at first and then once i had perch on the ice i tipped the jig with an eyeball. steady small rod twitches seemed to entice them fairly easy
Watch your top knot!

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Went to hattie on saturday.  We moved around alot didnt catch a ton of fish but had a pretty funny story.  I we had been jigging in a few holes and found nothing so we decided to move the shanty.  I set my rod down and propped it up against my backpack.  To make a long story short when i got back to my rod it was gone.  Needless to say i was upset.  We looked down and couldnt see anything so i pretty much gave up hope.  Then about thirty min later my buddy hooks a fish and wouldnt you believe it it comes off at the hole and his jig catches a line that was in the fishes mouth.  It turns out to be my line with my jig planted securely in the big browns mouth.  We hand lined him in and pulled my rod off the bottom.  It was a crazy story.  The we kept the brown and he went 20 inches and 3 lbs!  In his belly were 2, 6 to 8 inch kokes and a small perch.  What a glutton! 

Sad part of this story is that the next day we went to seminoe and i left my rod on my chair to get a  tip up and when i came back it was gone.  You would think i would have learned from the day before.  This time it was gone for good.  After four years of ice fishing i have never lost anything through the ice and i lost the same rod twice in two days.  Believe it or not!

Zack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:42 PM »
yesterday at hattie i had one pole set up on a pole holder and then the one i was jigging with. well i was taking a perch off the one i was jigging with and my other pole falls out of the holder and knocked the rod holder over too. so i go over to it and the only part of the pole out of the hole is reel which miraculously got caught up on the rod holder. while picking the pole and holder up trying to sort out the mess, the fish made his getaway
Watch your top knot!

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Last year I dropped my cell phone down my hole and the next week my friend dropped his satalite radio deck in his. :'(

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:14 PM »
today i was just to the right of the pressure ridge in 20ft. i fished both sides of it in about 20 ft and done good. today i was using a small chartruese jig tipped with a wax worm at first and then once i had perch on the ice i tipped the jig with an eyeball. steady small rod twitches seemed to entice them fairly easy

MaineWyo

Have you been out lately or have you stayed out of the wind?  Hopefully Saturday the weather is good.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:20 PM »
havent been out since then but i am off to glendo in the morning hoping to get into the eyes again like last time.
Watch your top knot!

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:23 PM »
I going to have to beg you pros into taking us Glendo rookies out sometime.  Would love to get some eyes for the freezer.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:00 PM »
i will be up there tomorrow and either saturday or sunday. if your not busy you should get up there while the ice is good.
Watch your top knot!

Offline ligertrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Went to Lake Hattie today and caught we caught 6, 18+ rainbows.  We saw a few bigger ones but they weren't biting.  There wasn't much for perch as we only caught three.

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Ligertrout

Where were you fishing?  How was the wind?  I'm heading over in the morning for a few hours and hope to find some decent luck.  Using anything special?

Offline ligertrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I was fishing on the west end of the lake and we caught the fish mostly on a white tube jig with some power bait.  The wind got pretty crazy out there today.  My home made hut stood up fine, but we had another store bought one and the aluminum bars got a little bent and it was a circus trying to get all of our gear off of the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.