The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Why can't we get shiners in Minnesota anymore!?  (Read 3734 times)

Offline OtterMN

• IceShanty Rookie
Why can't we get shiners in Minnesota anymore!?
« on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Have you tried to find shiners anywhere in MN? You can't. I was told that it has something to do with a new law about transporting them over state lines. I'm assuming one of our wonderful !@#$%&* politicians is responsible for this. Anybody know why or who is responsible? Thanks

Dan O

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
Re: Why can't we get shiners in Minnesota anymore!?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:11 PM »
What do you use for bait if you can't get shiners. Thats all I use.

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Two weeks ago at Mille Lacs we got shiners. They had a couple different kinds. Unless something happened on Jan 1.

Tim

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I don't know why that would be a problem.  I've caught shiners on Cass last year, so I'm sure going across a border is not the problem.  They are already in the state.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2008, 04:04 PM »
 Its probalbly because of Vhs

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2008, 04:20 PM »
Shiners are about all we can get in New York. Except emerald shiners.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2008, 04:20 PM »
 emeralds are avaible now they just had to get passed

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Most of the golden shiners come from Mille Lacs and the regular ones are netted in the walker area. State lines are not crossed with shiners. ??? Prince bait had them last time I was in there ???

I usually use suckers though, I didn't pay much attention. :-\

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Guess i never had a problem getting shiners up here to worry about it
S&W bait in Brainard has them along with most of the bait stores i deal with just about everyday..
Hard Ice

Offline OtterMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:38 PM »
I was able to get them right after Christmas, maybe it was something that took effect on the 1st. Several different bait shops told me that they couldn't get them anymore and that nobody as going to be able to get them. I was also told by a couple places that they mostly come from the Arkansas area. I've been using fatheads and consistently catching walleyes on Waconia. (21-23") I wanted to try some larger shiners thinking I would get consistently bigger fish. The ones I could find were about the size of crappie minnows... evryplace I called said the same thing..." no shiners" and "we don't know when we'll ever have them" I hope this is a temporary problem and they'll get a supply solution figured out... meanwhile, if anybody knows where I can get some in the metro now, let me know. Thanks!

Dan O

Offline Glenn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be bass fishing...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Every bait shop in the Minnetonka area has shiners. No problem.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!"

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2008, 01:25 AM »
I saw shiners at both bait shops I was at today.   Do the bait shops you are going to, not carry them or are they just always out of them?  They are pretty popular amongst the weekend warriors.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:52 AM »
Its probalbly because of Vhs

what is vhs ?
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:02 AM »
It's a disease that was getting into our waters that was being spread by ships.  They fill their hulls with water when they are empty or light and then when they fill the ship with goods, they dump the water from their last port in Hong Kong or where ever they were, to even out the weight and spread the disease that way.

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I have noticed the no shiners here in New Prague but I figured they were just out of them and usually I get my minnows every two weeks but I went there to get the regular half doz. shiners and all that they had were suckers, fats, and craps, idk what happened I guess I will ask them today when I get gas there.
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

Offline mnfishingdude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 43" Minnetonka Muskie - My First!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:39 PM »
what is vhs ?

VHS or Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia is a highly infectious viral fish disease.  Its spread through contact with infected fish and infected water.  They've found it as far West as Lake Winnebago (maybe farther, but I'm not sure).  It's currently spreading through the Great Lakes, although it hasn't reached Superior yet (thank God).  The disease is known to have been found in Europe, Japan, and the West Coast of North America in fish such as Salmon, Rainbow and Brown Trout, Northern Pike, and Sardines, among others.  In the Great Lakes Type IVb is known to infect species such as Northern Pike, Drum, Walleye, Whitefish, Rainbow Smelt, Muskellunge, and Shiners (specifically Emerald Shiners).  The federal government has put heavy restrictions on the transportation of fish and related products from states and the Canadian Provinces known to contain or border infected waters.  Many states have also passed legislation limiting the use, sale, and transportation of live bait and water (from any and all waters, not just infected waters).  The reason behind all of these restrictions is to prevent the spread, as the disease is known to cause mass fish kills, severely disrupting the ecosystem.  Hopefully they'll be able to keep this disease contained, and prevent more waters from getting infected and disrupting our fishing.

yarndt52

« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I've been able to get them around the wadena area with no problem... havent heard anything about not being able to

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Gary @ Ken's Tackle on Otter Tail lake has golden Shiners they are some what spendy, but the walleyes really like them!!!
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline 68Goat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:23 AM »
The bait shop in Hutch had a tank full of them.   Unfortunately they didn't do me any good....walleyes didn't want to cooperate.    ???
JB

Offline BigGunMN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SKOL VIKES!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:49 PM »
no problem getting them in NW Otter Tail county.

I can get Silver or Golden in Pelican Rapids. even Erhard has them.

Offline David Barber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM »
From what I understand, the state had been pretty easy about giving out licenses to drivers wanting to import across state lines.  As of late, they were cracking down and not renewing those licenses pretty much leaving MN to capture their own.  The decision WAS due to VHS.  You can find shiners at some bait shops.  These people have their "secret" distributors that are capturing them in MN.  Others may be using mid-night deliveries, though I have no concrete proof of this.

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:36 AM »
hey dare yous guys in minny sota had better get used to dumpen your minnows on shore after you take them off the lake like we do in wiskonsin don't you know!!!! :D  It seems that us border states mock each other on allot of legislation.  VHS has caused allot of con fussion, anger, >:( and talk over the new rules and restrictions on minnows and the water used in live wells and bait wells.  Wisconsin has found the VHS in the eastern part of the sate and are now taking a proactive approach in seeing that it stays there. :-\

Offline slushfoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:10 PM »
i was out with tip ups sunday the 12th wo had no problems getting shiners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.