The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ? how many fish can i keep  (Read 3155 times)

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
? how many fish can i keep
« on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:12 PM »
lets say i buy a New Hampshire fishing licence and have a Maine licence iam fishing a me/NH border water lets say horn pond can i keep my bag limit for both states in the same day on the same body of water
in god we trust

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
Re: ? how many fish can i keep
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:23 PM »
 ;D  Hey, that's a pretty good question.  ;D  If you departed the lake on one border or the other, my guess is that you would be nailed for over possession.  Fish, take the limit with one license then fish and use the other state license.  Wouldn't want to get caught with two limits regardless.  That being said, I'd just take one state's limits.....  Most rulebooks say the most liberal rules apply to a body of border water but I've yet to see one that specifically answers your question so I would assume the answer is no.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Daily + Possession limit are 2 different things, but I think they are usually the same in the rulebook, not positive though. So that would mean being in possession of both states limits would be Illegal.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:29 PM »
;D  Hey, that's a pretty good question.  ;D  If you departed the lake on one border or the other, my guess is that you would be nailed for over possession.  Fish, take the limit with one license then fish and use the other state license.  Wouldn't want to get caught with two limits regardless.  That being said, I'd just take one state's limits.....  Most rulebooks say the most liberal rules apply to a body of border water but I've yet to see one that specifically answers your question so I would assume the answer is no.
Hoppes
thats what i think the law would be as well but not sure
in god we trust

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:32 PM »
do you really wana keep that many fish anyways!!! :o

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:35 PM »
border waters have a section in the rule book, they clearly explain the regs and they are the same in NH and Maine rule books so you can't play it both ways.  I have cut and pasted the rules below

Border Waters Between Maine and New Hampshire

Umbagog Lake, Upton, Maine; Errol/Cambridge, New Hampshire (waters of Umbagog Lake include the waters of the Androscoggin River upstream of the Errol Dam, the waters of the Magalloway River within the State of New Hampshire, and the waters of the Rapid River upstream to the marker at Cedar Stump in the State of Maine).

Great East Lake, Acton, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire

Salmon Falls River, Acton, Lebanon, Berwick and South Berwick, Maine; Wakefield, Milton, Rochester, Somersworth, and Rollinsford, New Hampshire. Province Lake, Parsonsfield, Maine; Effingham/Wakefield, New Hampshire

Balch Pond, Parsonsfield, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire

Horn Pond, Acton, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire. Signs posted at the most downstream extent of the great east dam outlet canal denote the boundary between Horn Pond and the Salmon Falls River.

Milton Watershed, Lebanon, Maine; Milton, New Hampshire - Milton watershed includes all of the Milton Three Ponds - Northeast Pond, Milton Pond, Townhouse Pond (Beginning at the Dam in Milton to the influx of the Branch River and the Salmon Falls River).

Lower Kimball Pond, Fryeburg, Maine; Chatham, New Hampshire

Spaulding Pond, Lebanon, Maine; Milton, New Hampshire

General Interstate Rules

* No landlocked salmon through the ice.
    * No cusk fishing.
    * No more than 5 lines are permitted at any one time while ice fishing (EXCEPTION: Great East Lake).
    * No dead or living pickerel, goldfish, yellow perch, white perch, bass, sunfish, crappie, horned pout, carp, or any spiny-finned fish shall be taken, sold, or possessed for use as bait for fishing in New Hampshire-Maine interstate waters.

Exceptions to the General Interstate Rules

Umbagog Lake: Closed to ice fishing is that portion of the lake north of a straight line from a red post set on a point between Spillman and Glassby Coves on the east shore in Maine, and a red post set at Molls Rock, so-called, on the west shore in New Hampshire. S-18

Great East Lake: Restricted to two lines per person. Minimum length limit on togue (lake trout):16 inches.

Lower Kimball Pond: Smelt dipping is allowed between sunset and 10:00 p.m. with nets not over 18 inches in diameter.

Salmon Falls River: Closed to ice fishing.

Season: (exception: Salmon Falls River) January 1 – March 31: All species except landlocked salmon.

Daily Bag Limits:

* Trout and togue (lake trout): 5 fish limit, but not more than 2 togue (lake trout), 2 rainbow trout, 2 brown trout, or 2 brook trout.
    * Pickerel: 5 fish
    * Bass: 1 fish
    * Smelt: 2 quarts by hook and line only.
    * All other species: No bag limits.

Length Limits:

* Togue (lake trout): 18 inches (exception: Great East Lake)
    * Brook trout: 6 inches (exception: Lake Umbagog)
    * Brown trout and Rainbow trout: 10 inches in lakes and ponds;
    * Bass: 12 inches
    * All other species: No length limits.

License Requirements:

Fishing licenses issued to any person by either this State or New Hampshire shall be recognized when used on any lake or pond which is partly in both states of Maine and New Hampshire.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Daily + Possession limit are 2 different things, but I think they are usually the same in the rulebook, not positive though. So that would mean being in possession of both states limits would be Illegal.
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:55 PM »
border waters have a section in the rule book, they clearly explain the regs and they are the same in NH and Maine rule books so you can't play it both ways.  I have cut and pasted the rules below

Border Waters Between Maine and New Hampshire

Umbagog Lake, Upton, Maine; Errol/Cambridge, New Hampshire (waters of Umbagog Lake include the waters of the Androscoggin River upstream of the Errol Dam, the waters of the Magalloway River within the State of New Hampshire, and the waters of the Rapid River upstream to the marker at Cedar Stump in the State of Maine).

Great East Lake, Acton, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire

Salmon Falls River, Acton, Lebanon, Berwick and South Berwick, Maine; Wakefield, Milton, Rochester, Somersworth, and Rollinsford, New Hampshire. Province Lake, Parsonsfield, Maine; Effingham/Wakefield, New Hampshire

Balch Pond, Parsonsfield, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire

Horn Pond, Acton, Maine; Wakefield, New Hampshire. Signs posted at the most downstream extent of the great east dam outlet canal denote the boundary between Horn Pond and the Salmon Falls River.

Milton Watershed, Lebanon, Maine; Milton, New Hampshire - Milton watershed includes all of the Milton Three Ponds - Northeast Pond, Milton Pond, Townhouse Pond (Beginning at the Dam in Milton to the influx of the Branch River and the Salmon Falls River).

Lower Kimball Pond, Fryeburg, Maine; Chatham, New Hampshire

Spaulding Pond, Lebanon, Maine; Milton, New Hampshire

General Interstate Rules

* No landlocked salmon through the ice.
    * No cusk fishing.
    * No more than 5 lines are permitted at any one time while ice fishing (EXCEPTION: Great East Lake).
    * No dead or living pickerel, goldfish, yellow perch, white perch, bass, sunfish, crappie, horned pout, carp, or any spiny-finned fish shall be taken, sold, or possessed for use as bait for fishing in New Hampshire-Maine interstate waters.

Exceptions to the General Interstate Rules

Umbagog Lake: Closed to ice fishing is that portion of the lake north of a straight line from a red post set on a point between Spillman and Glassby Coves on the east shore in Maine, and a red post set at Molls Rock, so-called, on the west shore in New Hampshire. S-18

Great East Lake: Restricted to two lines per person. Minimum length limit on togue (lake trout):16 inches.

Lower Kimball Pond: Smelt dipping is allowed between sunset and 10:00 p.m. with nets not over 18 inches in diameter.

Salmon Falls River: Closed to ice fishing.

Season: (exception: Salmon Falls River) January 1 – March 31: All species except landlocked salmon.

Daily Bag Limits:

* Trout and togue (lake trout): 5 fish limit, but not more than 2 togue (lake trout), 2 rainbow trout, 2 brown trout, or 2 brook trout.
    * Pickerel: 5 fish
    * Bass: 1 fish
    * Smelt: 2 quarts by hook and line only.
    * All other species: No bag limits.

Length Limits:

* Togue (lake trout): 18 inches (exception: Great East Lake)
    * Brook trout: 6 inches (exception: Lake Umbagog)
    * Brown trout and Rainbow trout: 10 inches in lakes and ponds;
    * Bass: 12 inches
    * All other species: No length limits.

License Requirements:

Fishing licenses issued to any person by either this State or New Hampshire shall be recognized when used on any lake or pond which is partly in both states of Maine and New Hampshire.
this is given you the right to fish the border waters with a licence from eather state not holding one in each state but that's the law that they would hit you with ill bet
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:59 PM »

i had a reply but lost it some where
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:04 PM »
do you really wana keep that many fish anyways!!! :o
no but was just wondering how the law looks at it ;)
in god we trust

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:04 PM »
as many as you want as long as the warden dont catch you.............. ::)

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:23 AM »
as many as you want as long as the warden dont catch you.............. ::)

very good advice ha ::) ;D  .  that simplifies all the rules :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.