The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: the ling have slowed down on the blacks fork(gorge) any other spots workin good?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
i ve fished every other night on the blacks fork for ling, but it is getting slower is there any hot spots anywhere else you guys are nailing them? ???

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
is the black's fork on the gorge?  if not, i have heard fishermen on the gorge are knocking 'em dead.  70-80 burbot nights, apparently.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks bottomdweller, yea i meant the gorge ill have to fix that. i ve tried the big bends back on the blacks fork in mid dec. and we're killin them but the last few weeks have really slowed down, only 4 to 5 small ones, i guess ill try closer to buckboard if the ice is good!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Try fishing 5' of water or shallower . Drill your holes before dark . I here they are spawning shallow . I'll be testing that water tomorrow after I hook me a big brown tomorrow in Utah but going for macs , kokes and bows mainly at the Gorge . I'm not crazy about thick ice so I will be testing ice around Buckboard , I'll try to report from Green River motel via wireless from my laptop . Internet sometimes is slow there .
Utah Ice

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
 try shallow thay are spawning in some areas it is wierd to me i thought thay didnt spawn till allmost ice out but today i read that in moveing water thay spawn soner would the water flow on the blfk and the green arms be moveing that much ? we have been geting some better ones near buckboard and just out from buckboard  thay have been comein from 2-30ft but the better fish have been in the 2-8ft depths maybe we are hurting them a little more too one can only hope .good luck kill a bunch . Fish

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
Try fishing 5' of water or shallower . Drill your holes before dark . I here they are spawning shallow . I'll be testing that water tomorrow after I hook me a big brown tomorrow in Utah but going for macs , kokes and bows mainly at the Gorge . I'm not crazy about thick ice so I will be testing ice around Buckboard , I'll try to report from Green River motel via wireless from my laptop . Internet sometimes is slow there .
hey thanks keep an update on the ute side. i've been wanting to head that way but, i've been on this ling kick for a few weeks!ha ha thanks again

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
 for some reason i cant get that little laker avatar smaller with photo bucket what do i need to do wish i had a pic of a real fish throw the ice this yr i will take some more pics ash

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey hey i found them! 60 feet of water and suspended at 10 feet! i caught about 40 of them today! but it was during the day! i stayed out till 11 p.m. nothin hit after dark ??? i was closer to buckboard too! most people i talk to says there in sallow at night, but i didn't get a one hit all night!anyone got a idea where they are at night? moski

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
hey hey i found them! 60 feet of water and suspended at 10 feet! i caught about 40 of them today! but it was during the day! i stayed out till 11 p.m. nothin hit after dark ??? i was closer to buckboard too! most people i talk to says there in sallow at night, but i didn't get a one hit all night!anyone got a idea where they are at night? moski

Moski, How was the ice @ Buckboard? Was sucker meat the bait of the day? If you don't mind me asking. :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
i would say about 8 to 9 inches , back in the cove thou i didn't go out on the mane part of the lake!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fish out by the river channel yesterday and it might have been 5" of ice . I found burbot 38' to 60' on bottom . I only hooked 8 , so I haven't found a hot spot yet .
Utah Ice

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!

That's just weird.

#1 Why were they so active during the day

#2 I can see them being in 60 fow but not suspended at 10 feet

#3 You caught 40....lol

That whole scenario doesn't fit anything of what I've been told about ling fishing.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
I fish out by the river channel yesterday and it might have been 5" of ice . I found burbot 38' to 60' on bottom . I only hooked 8 , so I haven't found a hot spot yet .

Hey Hellsangler, are you still fishing the gorge or are you back home?
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie

Do you know if there is safe ice at big bend yet?

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big bend was frozen before buckboard bay.  I also saw an angler on the east side of the bend before it heads into Holmes crossing yesterday morning.

We fished the confluence and it was pretty slow.

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Hellsangler, are you still fishing the gorge or are you back home?

Yes , one more try tomorrow . Lots of pup macks today . Ice is good just be careful around the big cracks .
Utah Ice

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's just weird.

#1 Why were they so active during the day

#2 I can see them being in 60 fow but not suspended at 10 feet

#3 You caught 40....lol

That whole scenario doesn't fit anything of what I've been told about ling fishing.
hey buddy believe what you want but that's what happened and unless you go out and try to figure it out for yourself you wont catch them now wont ya? :flex:

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
I been catching them in the daylight too . They seem to be everywhere . Macs have been running 45 to 50' down in 85 foot of water . Some on the bottom too . Bows running about 20' in the same water .
Utah Ice

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Do you know if there is safe ice at big bend yet?
There was 8 inches of good clear ice on south end of big bend on the east bank over 100 feet of water in the channel, but we could see openwater a few miles below that from the hill tops on east side of the gorge, probably open somewhere around Anvil yet. Water clear ice is spookey even though strong. I think the fish think so too. It was letting in a lot of light.
WYIfish
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.