Author Topic: New Extreme Sport  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Extreme Sport
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 03:44 PM »
We've had 50 degree temps the last three days and its melted all the snow on the lake.  Not thinking, I just hopped in my truck and took off to go fishing in the early morning.  Unfortunately, I forgot my cleats and anchor at home.  Got to the lake and its calm enough.  Get to my spot by walking along the slush near shore and then shuffling out to my spot.  Wind starts to pick up while I'm camped out in the shanty and also the rest of the snow/slush on the lake is now water.  No bites for 1/2 hour so I decide to move out deeper.  I open the door of the Frabill Magnum and go drill some holes out deeper.  Over the sound of the auger, I hear this cracking and think its perhaps the ice but then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a black figure moving across the ice. 

<Double take>

It takes a while before my pea-brain comprehends what the heck is going on and I put down the auger and haul after the shanty.  I catch up to it when the wind starts to die down.  Another gust comes along and the front of the shanty flips up. 

<Cue slow motion>

I grab the sled base at the same time that I notice the back wall catch the wind and billow like the Black Pearl's mainsail.

<Cue 2X speed>

As I'm speeding across the ice uncontrollably, I realize I just joined the Shanty Surfing club.

<Cue suspense music>

I see the look of amusement , no wait, its horror, on two people's faces briefly as my Frabill Flamborgini races towards their Clam.

Luckily a guy fishing near me runs me down with his quad and blocks my inevitable collision course.

I had a long "shuffling" walk back against the wind to get back to where my holes were.  Along the way back, just to add humor to my humility, two of my 5-gal buckets, my minnow bucket and my thermos pass me. 

I sure hope they enjoy their new homes with the surprised anglers they caught up to on the other side of the lake.  BTW, whoever you are...could you post pics of the fish for me in the IS Tourney? 

:(

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: New Extreme Sport
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:10 PM »
a couple buckets is all better than the shanty :D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:12 PM »
 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:. . That's the funniest story I've heard in a long time! LOL I bet it sucked but I can just see myself shuffling back with shanty in hand and having the rest of what I own pass me. I would just turn around for a minute, watch it slide away, and then continue walking.....O god I'm still laughing about that chain of events. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BAHAHAHAHA
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:46 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap:
i have to agree funny stuff! but i do feel for ya :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:47 PM »
love the book... can't wait to see the movie version. 

Offline Just Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:50 PM »
You got lucky....a few years ago, a friend of mine was in his when the wind picked it up.  The cleats on his boots saved he and his shanty from going over the dam!  :o

I went from a Frabill Venture (full floor) to a clam after I took a couple hundred yard trip inside it.  It's fun at the time, but a long walk back to the hole on the way back.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:55 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Very Funny!!     Thank you for the laugh. 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:33 PM »
You got lucky....a few years ago, a friend of mine was in his when the wind picked it up.  The cleats on his boots saved he and his shanty from going over the dam!  :o

WOW! SCREW THAT!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:38 PM »
It would not have been funny had you gotten hurt, but I think that's just frickin hilarious!!!!!!!!
If I had a portable, it would no doubt happen to me

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2008, 11:39 AM »
that is the reason i went to a flip over frabill 3 years ago i took a 400 yard ride in my pop up when the anchor rope broke the only bad thing was i hit the shore at about 20 mph and broke my nose :%$#!:
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Sorry that had to happen to you, but thanks for the entertainment. It has been some time since anything I've read made me laugh out loud like this.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Losing the gear is`nt funny but the story is hilarious.My Wife and I had a bit of a struggle at South Sandstone with the shanty and the wind until I got a hole chiseled into the ice and stuck the ice chisel into that and lodged the shanty against it.I read that story to Her and She actually laughed and I was surprised her face did`nt crack. :laugh:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Just had to post another reply to this one to get it going again.The funniest one I`ve read on the shanty. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:52 AM »
 BIG E, WELCOME TO THE WORLD WIDE SHANTY SPORTS.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:40 AM »
 Can we get an addy, maybe send ya a couple replacement buckets for your troubles  ;)
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2008, 06:45 AM »
yep, i know all to well exactly what you are talking about. last weekend at highland, the wind was at least 50 to 60 miles per hour. got way too much excersize, lost too much gear and had to retrieve the shelter which was half submerged in water after the 200 yard dash it had taken across the ice and stopped because it hit the open water. it was a very expensive day! with way too much running. all in all though we still caught fish and like the idiot i am , i will be there tomorrow for sure. its just the things that make you say hmmm.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:48 AM »

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:23 AM »
I have tears in my eyes laughing....I know its dangerous but its just too funny to read on paper. I had it happen to me too with my hut, I went for lunch and came back to the spot to see 2 holes and nothing over them....Walked over the road around the harbour and finally found the hut wrapped around a tree at the edge of the river....I was too busy laughing to even worry that the tarp on the pop up hut was shredded.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2008, 11:49 AM »
LOL, thats great!!! A couple yrs ago I was sitting in my hardside and thought I heard somone yell. I stepped outside into about a 45 mph wind and watched a kid in a Shapell 3000 go zipping by,not far in front of him was another guy in a smaller shappell. It looked like they were racing!!! The kid ended up bending his poles to knock it down before hitting the rock shoreline and the other guy was stopped when he hit a patch of reeds sticking through the ice.. The kid ended up tying off to my shack to keep from blowing away.. We managed to duct tape a couple dowelks I had to hit now broke support poles to get him by for the rest of the day.... Last yr my neigbor was fishing about 50 ft away from me in his clam 2000. We had it ancored off 2 corners,but when the wind would gust it would pick him up enough that I could see daylight UNDER his shack with him IN IT!!! LOL

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:08 PM »
sounds like when i went to Montana, high winds came up, we didn't lose any gear but the wind was strong enough and the ice slick enough that if you unzipped your coat, put your hands in the pockets and then pulled it up sail fashion over your head you would strike out backwards across the ice. it was an awesome experience. my dad bought cleats for us the next day.  :(

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:51 PM »
That was a good story! Well told.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:46 PM »
i forgot to mention that my shelter before taken a ride for the 200 yards, a little bit earlier on the same trip,the anchor straps snapped , flipped the shelter upside down and blew about 50 yards before my brother was able to catch and stop it except this time i was inside it. needless to say i am still sore and banged up. just thought i would share  for the chuckle. so wish i had a video camera with me.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline mjmmusser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *removed*
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:08 AM »
LMAO, I have been lucky enough to stay out of the Shanty 500 , but a buddy of mine took a 4 mile trip across Grand Traverse Bay about 10 years ago. We had to go pick him up in the vehicle at a hotel on the south shore.

and on a side note has anoyone seen the Little Bay De Noc 500? http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Lost_Peninsula/?action=view&current=P1010063.flv

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:07 AM »
LMAO, I have been lucky enough to stay out of the Shanty 500 , but a buddy of mine took a 4 mile trip across Grand Traverse Bay about 10 years ago. We had to go pick him up in the vehicle at a hotel on the south shore.

and on a side note has anoyone seen the Little Bay De Noc 500? http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Lost_Peninsula/?action=view&current=P1010063.flv

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:52 PM »

both the story and the video are priceless!!!! :clap:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:20 PM »
it catches you by suprise and you can easily forget the out side conditions when you are in your own little shanty world.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:28 PM »
And to think, you know some spy satellite somewhere caught it all on film  :roflmao:

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Thanks bud I needed a story like that. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2008, 09:36 PM »
A few years ago in Colorado that happened, and I swear the only open water on the reservoir the shanty went in it. Couldn't beleive it. Was able to a dead lodgepole and fish it out.

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:10 PM »
HAHA.I took a ride in a shanty down the barge canal once.Wind picked up while we were jiggin look out the window and theres our jigs bouncing along the ice.After a 150 yard ride we finally got it stopped.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.