Author Topic: Willow Slough in Newton County, IN  (Read 2534 times)

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
Willow Slough in Newton County, IN
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Anyone up for fishing this lake?  It's about a 2.5 hour ride but well worth it.  Gills from this lake are big and plentiful.   :laugh:
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
Re: Willow Slough in Newton County, IN
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:48 PM »
I fished it last year through the ice but only found small gills but yes there are big ones. Seen a post in the Indiana section that the ice is now thick enough and open for fishing. They will not allow ice fishing until it is 5 inches.

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I have always had good luck fishing this lake.  Once it's open, I strongly suggest it. 
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I fished it last year.  1st time for me since they killed it off a few years back.  Did ok, but it is a free for all down there.  People keep everything, throw garbage on the ice, fish right on top of you.  I got some pretty big gils, but not worth the drive to deal with because I can do just as good up here by me, & not want to choke people out there as often.  I'm not Hoosier bashing as I am a NWI Region Rat myself. ;D

Offline buekerbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:04 PM »
25 fish limit, not worth the drive for me. I live in Ft Wayne.

Offline ss307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:06 AM »
1200 ACRES OF ICE TO FISH THERE WERE PROBABLY OVER 200 OF US OUT THERE SAT. JAN. 2ND AND PLENTY OF ROOM FOR EVERYBODY GOT OUR LIMIT IN ABOUT 3 HOURS THREE GUYS. BE PICKY YOU WILL GET YOUR 25 NICE GILLS AND REDEARS.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:43 PM »
you will get your 25 gills that are 9-10 inchers there are mass amount of people and yes that is where the fish are biting it's not oh this guy that guy when those fish get on every one in the 200 group is havein a blast getting them. you are able to fish that lake before it gets 5 inches of ice. i was out there when we had 2 1/2 to 3 inches. you can get your fish in the pack or break of sometimes when you break off it takes you a bit to find em. if the group isnt doin any good then thats when its time to break cause the fish are pressured. a budy told me they did a study a few years back... when all the guys came off the lake they asked if you had a limit or not if you said yes they marked it down. well supposedly that day 400 limits were recorded thats 10,000 fish and the lake is still natorious for monster gills. i have been goin down there with a 4'' auger and cant get my fish through the hole, they keep smackin off at the ice! some guys that live far away it may not be worth it i can agree but those that are closer well we know the deal! lmao. tight lines guys! good luck if ya head out there. keep in mind tip ups. we have been catching bass and there have been some pike caught. my buddy dropped the camera down there in 3 fow and there were bass everywhere we even tried sight fishin em when they came into the hole should of hooked two but was delayed on hook set cause how awsome it was and we ended up hookin into a third about a 14''er.
Got one goin'!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:16 PM »
How many times do you have to stomp on the fish to get a limit of all in the 9-10 inch range?

The lake was restocked fall of 2004, I am sure there are some 9-10 inch fish but I doubt there is an abundance of them.  A few years back most of the fish were juvenille due to the drawdown and restocking.  Prior to that the bluegill fishing wasn't very good due to the carp and shad taking over.  The fishing was great in the 80s and early 90s.  

All the pictures I see show a bunch of 7-8 inch gills, not worth the drive especially knowing you can only keep 25 fish.   In the next couple years it can have potential to produce limits of 9 inch fish, but even then the true 10 inchers will be hard to come by.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:11 PM »
I wouldn't drive all the way from Arlington Hghts. either for 25 bluegills.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:39 PM »
the pictures you are seeing that are 7-8 inchers are the slow days. or you are just a touch off of the fish a couple feet/yards. the 9-10's are there and plenty full! im just being a nice guy letting others know where to fish for nice fish. i mean hey, you dont wanna go thats fine more room for me to have a ball!  the lake goes on a 10 year cycle it seems and next year will be the peak of the 10 years. yea you catch dinks there, wiat where dont we all catch dinks at???? ;)  ;)  ;D!! im just sayin try it once, you'll enjoy it..
Got one goin'!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:50 PM »
No hard feelings, it's good to tell others.  I am sure some day I will give it a try after it is a little more established.  I understand why a lot of people go there from NW Indiana and southern Chicagoland since there aren't many options around there.  I am from NE Indiana, so there were just too many options close by to even give the place a second thought.

What is a dink, never caught one.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Slough is a good fishery, probably one the the best natural habitats for bluegills.  You can't create a better fishery. 
It's a bit of a haul me as well, but I manage to make it out there at least 2-3 time a year to get together with friends.  If you have kids, it is a good lake to get em hooked on fishing.
You can catch more that 25, you just have to make sure you only keep 25.  besides, 25 is enough fish to clean. 
In another year or two, the slough will be HOT!!  Happy Fishing
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.