The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 8" Icegator First Use Review  (Read 16972 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
8" Icegator First Use Review
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:32 PM »
     I received my Icegator on monday afternoon. I was so excited you"d think Santa Claus himself delivered it  ;D

Out of the box the unit was very user friendly with a little assembly required and easy to follow instructions. Install the batteries upside down, put the icegator plate over them and put on the 4 screws provided. I was able to tighten them enough by hand to hold the batteries firmly in place.

Next I charged the unit which was as easy as connecting the charger to the unit with 1 wire. I'ts a 3 prong plug that only goes in one way. Finger tighten the threaded ring thats on the plug, and then plug the charger in. When the light turns from red to green your unit is ready. The batteries were fairly charged when I got the unit and initial charging was actually less than an hour.

Installing the bit was even easier . Icegator supplied me with an adapter which slides over the shaft and gets a bolt and locknut. i used 2 wrenches to tighten this part.next slide the auger shaft into the same adapter . this also gets a bolt and locknut (provided). tighten with wrenches and its done.

On the ice!! This is the part I'm still giggling about  ;D  This thing rips!! I was very excited to feel its power and speed. I've been using gas powered augers for 30 yrs and have never had such an easy time cutting a hole. No choke ,no throttle, no pulling the rope , no gas on my hands or clothes, and no hot muffler to burn my jacket. Just 2 buttons . FWD and REV. pretty simple. FWD to cut, REV to clean slush out of hole.Still had to take a few swipes with my scoop but it did a pretty nice job cleaning the hole without splashing water all over my boots.

Battery life on the first day out was excellent for what I asked of it. I left the unit in my garage overnight with the rest of my gear which stays around 40-45 degrees. I cut 5 holes through 12" of ice, half of which was good clear ice,to get started and set my tipups. I didn't plan on moving my tipups but wanted to give the unit at least a little workout for its first day so I proceeded to cut 5 holes per hour for the next 5 hours, for a total of 30 holes. The last hole was the same as the first. There was literally no difference that I or anyone else in my party could notice. However ,the weather took a turn for the worst and my day was cut short. I put the unit on the charger and as I suspected was back to full in less than 45 minutes.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: 8" Icegator First Use Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoy the new unit. I was wondering how well it was going to work and hold up to the need to cut many holes on one charge.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the info, been following them a little. I am curious though to see how they do when it gets cold. Only down to 8-10 below out here at night. Lessee what happens with -20.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Hi,
looks like a good product, however I am wondering if it could hold up drilling 20+ holes in -30 thru 25-30+ inches of ice with one charge? ???

Offline Stickjiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. What size did you get? The one big enough for the 8"?  OOPS looked closer at the subject line.  MY bad

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Thanks for the review Scott, I appreciate it. Its always good to hear about quality new products, and it sounds like this is one!

I was just wondering....didn't see you list the temperature. I was kind of curious, maybe I missed it.

Thanks

-Wes

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the review Scott, I appreciate it. Its always good to hear about quality new products, and it sounds like this is one!

I was just wondering....didn't see you list the temperature. I was kind of curious, maybe I missed it.

Thanks

-Wes

wes..it was 10 degrees to satrt the morning and about 20 to end the day

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:17 PM »
must have been built rite

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Been waiting for that review Scott.  That thing RIPS!!  I'm gonna seriously contemplate on of those for next year... that a NILS you got on 'er?

Don

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:31 PM »
  I'm going to save my pennies now. Looks like a great product and you don't have to drag gas along.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:57 PM »
looks awesome so far! looking forward for more reviews,cant wait to get rid of the gas auger!!!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:05 PM »
What does it Weigh Scott? How long are the batteries good for (total life expectancy)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Hi, Watched the video on the Ice gator and it looks awesome, Seems a lot of price for the unit though. I fish central PA lakes and on a usual winter we don't get a lot more than 12 -15" of ice. I use a Strikemaster mora, works great with the newer design,{ the lean on top handle } My dad has always had a gas auger, which has been 99% reliable over the past 20 years. So i don't know if i want an electric or gas auger in the future. Now after the long introduction, My Questions: Does anyone think the the EPA regulations are going to eventually ban our 2 stroke engine gas augers, and are we going to have to switch to electric or other forms of augers? Just a question to put out there and see what everyone else thinks. Or if they ever thought about a emissions ban on some of our basic power equipment. Lets hope that doesn't happen any time soon.

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2008, 10:15 PM »
I would think those libs would have to ban all power boat traffic on all lakes during open water before they would be concerned about your little auger.  It runs for 5 to 15 minutes a day total...a boat with a 25 horse outboard two stroke runs all day long in many cases and it alone would put out more emissions than 1000 augers running at 15 minutes each.  With that said...I wouldnt put it past them to try. :-X

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:17 AM »
What does it Weigh Scott? How long are the batteries good for (total life expectancy)

RG

RG the weight is about 35 lbs with the nils bit and the 12 ah batteries. certainly not any lighter than a gas auger, just a lot cleaner.

I really dont know the life expectancy of the batteries but its literally the same kind of batteries we use in our flashers, just a little bigger .

As was said i really dont see the government trying to place any kind of ban on gas augers, unless they ban the 2 stroke outboards and snowmobiles first

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Billditrite,.........It looks like the 8" uses 4 12ah batteries.  wow that is alot.  The way you handle it in the video, you must of been a weight lifter of something.   I am wondering, the nils that you adapted to it, is that a shortened auger or is it the standard height.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Yeah I've heard rumours his real name is Arnold.
Scott Arnold Pumpsalot :flex: :flex: :flex: :roflmao: :roflmao: joking ;)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Very nice review.  The pics were an added bonus and really helped  in understanding the unit.  THANKS!
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Billditrite,.........It looks like the 8" uses 4 12ah batteries.  wow that is alot.  The way you handle it in the video, you must of been a weight lifter of something.   I am wondering, the nils that you adapted to it, is that a shortened auger or is it the standard height.

PC the unit only uses two 12ah batteries...heavy but not THAT heavy   :D 

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Wow looks like a great product I have been useing the Strikemaster electric for three years and love it,but the Icegator cuts a lot faster. good luck

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Please keep up the reviews (this goes for anyone else who's bought one too).  Sounds like it works well.  I've decided to hold off buying an auger this year and keep up with reviews and improvements that Icegator makes and probably buying one next year unless I hear some bad reviews.  I've got an 8" Lazer hand auger laying around that I never use that should work well with it.  Does anyone know exactly what the difference is between the two 8" models?  One's slightly lighter and cuts fewer holes on a charge, so I assume it's just equiped with smaller batteries, right?  I'd think it would be a little cheaper too, but it's not (oh well).  I'd rather have the lighter unit given that I seldom drill more than 30 holes per day, and never through 30" of ice.  Again, thanks for the info.  First hand experience/use is always the best way to judge a new product.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Sweet! My dad's got an auger that's older than dirt and I've been pushing him to look at one of these. He just like's the 10" blade.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:46 PM »
I bought an electric auger, will never ever consider a gas auger for a second. no gas, oil, smell, troubles starting. I drilled 6 holes anchoring my ice shack last year in -10 without a sputter. but seriously, 20+ holes when its -20. do you happen to have little red circles painted on your foot? is there any ice left when you leave the lake? haha. that does sound like worst case scenario

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:09 AM »
That looks awesome!  I think I've found my first purchase for the 08-09 season.  I'm already maxed out on hardware for this year... missus would kill me.  :)

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Excellent review - I've had doubts about and electric auger - but that thing works pretty well - thanx for the info
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:01 AM »
but seriously, 20+ holes when its -20. do you happen to have little red circles painted on your foot? is there any ice left when you leave the lake? haha. that does sound like worst case scenario

~Neal

....that is a typical day on the ice for me, sometimes i drill alot more than 20 holes however. no red circles painted on my feet  ???

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Great review!! I've been in contact with the fine folks at Icegator and they are very helpful. They've done some serious testing in a variety of conditions, both this season and last season.
  Again, great review. :thumbsup: :clap: I've seen and heard enough..just ordered an 8" drive and will be putting a Nils on the business end. ;D

<br />img

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:57 PM »
yore gonna love it...taking mine crappie fishing tonight!  BTW nice wolfie!!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:23 PM »
I really love the idea of no gas on hands ;D, and that hassle but due to the fact that nobody can answer my question I guess I will have to wait till they come out with something more powerful  :-\

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Kyle
 The amount of holes per charge varies some depending on what auger bit your running on it. Worst case scenerio The 8 inch unit will cut 60 holes through 30 inches of ice A nils auger bit will cut more than some of the others just because its a shaver blade. The 8 inch unit will cut through 18 inches of ice close to 1oo holes per charge. But to answer your question it will cut more than the 20 holes you asked about at least three fold.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.