The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maine warden crashes through ice!!  (Read 5396 times)

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Maine warden crashes through ice!!
« on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:06 AM »

Maine warden crashes through ice

Article Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007

CARATUNK, Maine (AP) — A Maine game warden escaped serious injury after his snowmobile broke through thin ice on a Somerset County pond.

The Maine Warden Service said Scott Thrasher got a dunking in waist-deep water in Pleasant Pond in Caratunk about 10 feet from shore around noon on Friday.

. Ralph Hosford said Thrasher and another warden were patrolling the pond in anticipation of ice-fishing season.

Just last week, the warden service issued a warning urging people to use extreme caution before venturing onto Maine's lakes this early in the winter.

Way to go!!

Offline Ice Chip

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Maine warden crashes through ice!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:16 AM »
See they aren't the GOD's they think they are!!!  Morons!
Tom Thibeault          

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • So easy, a cave man could do it
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:21 AM »
waist deep......cold.....fro zen__nutts

Offline justinjipson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 38.5" 18lbs
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:55 AM »
See they aren't the GOD's they think they are!!!  Morons!

well put
fishing = paradise

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:06 PM »
they r humans too. i guess they should have listened to there own advice about using caution.

Offline Rome-Brewah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:15 PM »
With the conditions of the ice this year, I am afaid we wil be seeing a lot more of this.  I just hope no one gets killed.   :-\

RB
Beer....a decent excuse for your normal clumsy self

If I could just get my wife to understand my brewing and fishing addiction...we'd get along so much better :)

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:31 PM »
waist deep......cold.....fro zen__nutts

:roflmao: :roflmao:
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:49 PM »
I am afraid that a few anglers will break through the ice in various ponds this year.  The 1st of January is coming with a lot
of thin ice, disguised by several inches of snow in many places.  I put my ice shack on Keoka lake near the vicinity of the
boat launch.  Here the ice is about 8 inches thick, a combination of 4 inches of slush ice and 4 hard ice.  I poked another
hole further out approximately 40 to 50 yds from shore, 1 inch of slush ice, and 3 inches of hard ice. I ventured no further.
I don't know why but it seems there is more ice along the coast, than up here in the Western mountains.  If you go out the
first of the months take some caution along with you.

Offline Doug D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:03 PM »
I guess we know the ice report for pleasant pond.   

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:10 PM »
I guess we know the ice report for pleasant pond.   
                                                                                                                                                                                                 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: geeze i hope the sleds alright...(thats not right lord.....i;m sorry...etc...)

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:13 PM »
i saw that article in the mornin sentinel....they interviewed one of the flatties that owns a camp up there....

Michael Bateman of New Jersey, who said his family has owned property on Pleasant Pond for years, said this is the first year the pond has been opened for ice fishing and he and others are opposed.

"There is significant opposition to the proposal," Bateman said. "The ice never gets thick, because it's a spring-fed lake. We don't want the public out there fishing a lake that's not safe. (Today) we've got a sled that's bobbing in the water."

Bateman said he also is concerned about the environmental impact.

"This is the second clearest lake in Maine. To introduce anything negative for an environmental impact is crazy," he said.

maybe it's just me, but i wouldn't mind tellin that guy to stay in new jersey. if they are opposed to ice fishing there cause the ice is thin and it's dangerous...what's their excuse for their attitudes in the summer time torwards open water fishin with boats? this topic really fires me up....YOU CAN'T OWN WATER! we as fishermen/sportsmen have the right to enjoy the recources of this state. if i ever fish up there during open water, i REFUSE to pay any money to anyone to use a boat launch or anything of that sort!
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:44 PM »
Let's give Mr Thrasher a break.....I'm sure he would do the same for us? ??? ;)
Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:46 PM »
i saw that article in the mornin sentinel....they interviewed one of the flatties that owns a camp up there....

if i ever fish up there during open water, i REFUSE to pay any money to anyone to use a boat launch or anything of that sort!

i hear ya. especially if it is stocked!!! that wiuld be like a double tax

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:48 PM »
maybe it's just me, but i wouldn't mind tellin that guy to stay in new jersey.

It's not just you....it's the truth.  What a bunch of crap.  Until he owns the whole lake shore he's S.O.L. :laugh:
Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:02 PM »
i don't believe myself to be a rude person, and i would certainly keep that in mind and to have respect for my fellow fishermen if i was ever confronted by one of these "pond owners". i do agree that we should have respect for the landowners and such to keep this ice season on going so others may enjoy it, but in my opinion...those "pond owner wannabe's" are crossin the line. they are not the only ones that have the right to enjoy that pond. but before i get to fired up, i would like to apologize if i have offended anyone.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:12 PM »

"This is the second clearest lake in Maine. To introduce anything negative for an environmental impact is crazy," he said.

Nothing like a snowmobile under the ice to impact the environment  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I think I would call that "introducing something negative"

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:13 PM »
well put!!   im surrounded by them here in rockland

Offline JBC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:27 PM »
Time to plan a trip to Pleasant Pond in Caratunk.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:02 AM »
Too bad they hadn't got the snowmoblie out and left Thasher in  the lake! ;D ;D Then it would truly be a Pleasant Pond. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:45 AM »
drain the gas and oil sink it  make it structure!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Can't own the water is the truth. I heard a story from a family friend that about 10 years ago, they had a camp that was on the only sand beach on a certain pond. Sorry, I can't remember which one. But others who had camps on other parts of the pond would boat over and either anchor their boats or beach the pontoon boats and then set their lawn chairs in about a foot of water and use the beach all day. They called the wardens and when the warden showed up, he said there was nothing he could do unless the boats were actually pulled up on the beach or the people were sitting on the beach, which wasn't the case at the time.

On that note, I think we should plan an Ice Shanty Derby on the pond and find which camp is this guys. Then set up about 50 traps right in front of his camp.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Lets get something set up. I'm in and I think a lot of others would be in. Lets start drilling holes about 3:30 to 4 in the morning so we can get an early start.15 to 20 augers never sound so  good as before daylight ;D ;D ;D I really feel the camp owners would appreciate this gesture and we might get our point across.

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:00 AM »
I'm in.  Sounds like fun.

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:05 AM »
Lets get something set up. I'm in and I think a lot of others would be in. Lets start drilling holes about 3:30 to 4 in the morning so we can get an early start.15 to 20 augers never sound so  good as before daylight ;D ;D ;D I really feel the camp owners would appreciate this gesture and we might get our point across.

Lets do it.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Lets let some ice form so we can be safe and well have a hella of a time. From what I've heard it isn't much trouble catching fish through the ice up there. ::) I think this is why a lot of the camp owners didn't want this pond open because they had it all to themselves all winter long :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • So easy, a cave man could do it
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:14 AM »
what's in there?
(besides a snowmachine)

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:14 AM »
Monster Togue and Big brookies.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Id be willing to go and bring some freinds we all have sleds and weellers as long as we dont put them in the pond.Sounds like it could be allot of fun ;D

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:34 AM »
How much of a moron would he be if he was the 1st to arrive to resuce one of our drunk a$$es out of the drink?

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:37 AM »

Michael Bateman of New Jersey, who said his family has owned property on Pleasant Pond for years, said this is the first year the pond has been opened for ice fishing and he and others are opposed.

"There is significant opposition to the proposal," Bateman said. "The ice never gets thick, because it's a spring-fed lake. We don't want the public out there fishing a lake that's not safe. (Today) we've got a sled that's bobbing in the water."

maybe it's just me, but i wouldn't mind tellin that guy to stay in new jersey. if they are opposed to ice fishing there cause the ice is thin and it's dangerous...what's their excuse for their attitudes in the summer time torwards open water fishin with boats? this topic really fires me up....YOU CAN'T OWN WATER! we as fishermen/sportsmen have the right to enjoy the recources of this state. if i ever fish up there during open water, i REFUSE to pay any money to anyone to use a boat launch or anything of that sort!

The people around Branch Lake believe they own the water and the city police, the wardens and the town council. As for the warden that went though the ice, I'm glad he wasn't hurt. They do a lot of good for us out there with hardly any thanks. Now if they can find the rat that stole one of my bait traps yesterday and give him to me so that I can cut off his fingers, I would thank them even more. >:(
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.