Author Topic: upright or chest freezer......  (Read 2936 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
upright or chest freezer......
« on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:49 AM »
just looking for some opinions as I am in the market for a new freezer......I have one of each and tend to think that an upright is more to my liking as I tend to find 'things' in the bottom of my chest freezer that have been there for a looonnnngggg time.  Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this subject.....

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: upright or chest freezer......
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:54 AM »
with a chest freezer all the cold air does not "dump out" when you open the door, so it doesn't have to run as much. Also the shelves in an upright limit the size of the items you can put in there, and if you are anything like me, you may get the "avalanche of meat" effect when you open an upright.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:00 AM »
I am a former Schwans man, and part of the job was to put the customers food away sometimes.  I hated uprights, never knew what was going to fall on your toes when you opened them up  :P

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:30 PM »
I have both. Prefer the chest. It's more efficient. Get one with sliding racks and you do away with the problem of burying stuff 3 feet deep.
<br />img

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I have had both and prefer an upright.  It takes less room than a chest.  I pile odd shaped items in boxes to keep them from falling out.  The thing I didn't like about the chest style is you have to take everything out to get to the stuff on the bottom.  Whenever I have extra room in my freezer, I freeze milk jugs, helps maintain the temp after you open the door and then I have ice when I need it.  Wether you have a chest or an upright you should keep it full to maintain temp after the door is opened. Just my $.02.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Conveinence vs effeciency

the upright is convenient. you can locate your food without digging to the bottom but you might have an avalanch if it is not stacked well.  also all your cold dumps out to the floor when the door gets opended therefor the unit runs more often.

with a chest the cold air is trapped athough you have to dig for stuff on the bottom.. a good cleaning once in a while can help sort out old unwanted items
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:33 PM »
The chest freezer is the most efficient. Ours is a monster. When ours is full it has a whole beef and at least two deer. Plus the frozen vegies, jam, pizza's, and who know's what else!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2008, 12:20 AM »
Both, been known to run out of room btwn all the veniosn and dads animals waiting to be mounted, then they spill over into the house, have 2 uprights and 1 chest freezer, still isnt enough room!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Good organization in a chest freezer is the best. I have had both types & now only use 2 of the chest type. We use milk crates & the old hard side beer cases to organize. "To each their own", tho. The space to put them is a concern for some.
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:50 AM »
IT has been said before but with good organizational skills a chest I feel is best.  The thing about mine is it is in the basement so the room is not the problem it is that during the late summer I go throught the thing to see what venision is left from the year before and stack it on one side and all the fish go to the other.  Then throw out anything that is questionable.  This year there is 4 deer in the freezer thank goodness I have the chest freezer.  It all just barely fits.
<br />

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Like the chest best too, don"t like things falling on my head  :laugh:
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.