Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Where to ice fish in Des. Moines?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline COicetrout

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to ice fish in Des. Moines?
« on: Dec 26, 2007, 06:55 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm from CO, and I'll be in the Des Moines area for a few days. I was wondering where a good place to go ice fishing would be. As long as it has 5+ inches of ice, me & my dad will be okay. I'd like to go for panfish/perch. I've had luck at Badger creek lake in summer, but can you ice it? And is it safe? Thanks for any ideas!

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Where to ice fish in Des. Moines?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2007, 07:45 PM »
lost lake on big creek had plenty of ice but the fish have slowed down. i was out on badger earlier and hamered some bluegills and also plenty of ice. you can just try to find the edge of the roadbed and set up on that. it sounds like fort des moines has plenty of ice but i havent fished it yet. i dont know where to go for perch besides big creek or maffit but maffit i dont know how safe it is yet.

Offline COicetrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Where is lost lake on big creek? How thick is the ice? I caught my first fish ever there back when I was a kid, but I haven't really been back. Sorry for the ignorance. Thanks for the help!

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:09 PM »
yes lost lake is on big creek in the back by the spill way into saylorville. i havent been there in a while but when i was there was mainly 6 to 7 incher and i dont think any of the weather that we have had since i was there has messed it up. it should be about 6to7 or more.

Offline COicetrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Thanks! I'll report how it goes. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.