Author Topic: PICKLED PIKE  (Read 6614 times)

Offline pituko

• IceShanty Rookie
PICKLED PIKE
« on: Dec 26, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Does anybody have a really good recipe for pickled northern.  Any great recipe would be appreciated!  THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
Re: PICKLED PIKE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2007, 03:14 PM »
I have one, but am at work right now. I will post it later tonight.  I usually can't catch enough pike to keep up with the demand.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:02 PM »
Here is one I have made a few times.  My wife who normally hates stuff like this, requests I make this.  You can buy the Bread and Butter pickle seasoning in just about any grocery store.

Prepare fish by filleting and cutting into bite sized pieces.  Prepare a brine of 4 cups water to 1 cup pickling salt, cover fish with brine and let stand for 24 hours.

After standing, rinse fish with cold water, cover fish with white vinegar and let stand for 24 hours.

Drain fish, and place in containers with course chopped onion, (I add jalapanos to some of my jars too). Prepare pickling solution: 2 cups white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoon bread and butter pickling seasoning, 1 ¾ cup white sugar, 5 cloves and 2 teaspoons mustard seed. Bring solution to a boil, allow to cool to room temp, pour over fish. Keep refrigerated, ready to serve in about 5-7 days

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Do you leave the skin on the fish like herring or fillet and skin them first?

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:11 PM »
I fillet them out and don't worry about the y-bones, cause not that you don't probably already know this, but the vinegar disolves them.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Here is the recipe I use. It works great with sunnies and pike.

Pickled Fish

Cut fish into bite size pieces

1.   Cover fish with solution of 1 cup pickling salt to 1 quart water. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

2.   Drain. Cover with white vinegar. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

3.   Drain. Layer alternately fish and sliced onion. Cover with brine. Let stand in fridge 2 weeks.

Brine:   2 cups white vinegar
   1 ½ cups sugar
   1 tsp whole peppercorns
   1 tsp allspice
   1 tsp whole cloves
   2 tsp mustard seed
   4 bay leaves

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:28 PM »
stupid question here:  put the fish in raw or cooked?

not opposed to either way, just want to do it right....

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:23 PM »
pm a guy named      saskman       he was pickling pike the other day

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:26 PM »
stupid question here:  put the fish in raw or cooked?

not opposed to either way, just want to do it right....

PUT HERE IN RAW FOR SURE..

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Here is the recipe I use. It works great with sunnies and pike.

Pickled Fish

Cut fish into bite size pieces

1.   Cover fish with solution of 1 cup pickling salt to 1 quart water. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

2.   Drain. Cover with white vinegar. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

3.   Drain. Layer alternately fish and sliced onion. Cover with brine. Let stand in fridge 2 weeks.

Brine:   2 cups white vinegar
   1 ½ cups sugar
   1 tsp whole peppercorns
   1 tsp allspice
   1 tsp whole cloves
   2 tsp mustard seed
   4 bay leaves

how long does pickeled fish stay good on the shelf

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:02 AM »
You put them in raw.

It will stay good for a couple of weeks.

It is not a hot pickle. It is not "cooked", "canned", or processed.

If you want it preserved you need to find a different recipe that involves a canning process like a hot water bath.

Here is a good link if you want to preserve fish:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ1087.html

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Raw for sure!  And make sure your brine is cooled off when you add it or you will have poached pickled fish and I learned the hard way, they aren't that good.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Did it turn out a bit tough?

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Pickled pike shouldn't flake when you eat it :D  I tried to skip the "allow it to cool to room temperature" step.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:37 PM »
Pickled pike shouldn't flake when you eat it :D  I tried to skip the "allow it to cool to room temperature" step.

Yep, it should be firm and hold togther when you spear it out of the jar.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Pituko,
Here's one I posted years back in the recipes section.  It's a good recipe and requires no cooking.  We have eaten the fish after 5 months in the fridge, and it was great!  Cooking kills the texture of the fish and if your use to eating pickled herring etc. from the fridge section at hte store, this is pretty close. 

Ingredients:
   4 to 5 lbs. Pike filleted Y-boned or non Y-boned
    1 Cup canning salt
    White vinegar
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup white wine
    1/2 cup mixed pickling spice
    Onion (sliced)

Cut filleted fish into 1'' to 2'' pieces.  Using a crock porcelain or glass container, mix brine of 1 cup canning salt to 2 quarts water (or strong enough to float an egg).  Soak fish pieces for 48 hours- stir after 24 hours.  Drain and discard brine.  Rinse fish and return to container.  Cover fish with white vinegar for another 24 hours drain and discard vinegar.  Make pickling solution of 4 cups white vinegar and 3 cups sugar.  Heat enough to dissolve sugar.  Cool solution in refrigerator a few hours or until cold.  Add 1 cup white wine and 1/2 cup of mixed picking spices.  Layer fish in jars with sliced onions in between.  Cover fish with pickling solution and seal.  Refrigerate at least 1 week.  Enjoy!

If you leave the Y-bones in the fish, let them sit in the solution maybe 3 weeks or more.  This will allow the pickling solution to soften the bones.  I would take some of the cloves out of standard pickling spice bought at the store.  To many cloves can be toooo strong for the solution
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Hard H2O:   I was going through old messages looking for a recipe for pickled fish and thought I'd try your's.  I don't have any pike at the moment so I'm trying Crappie instead.  The fish will soaking in the brine for the next 2 weeks.  I hope it turns out as well as you say.  Can't wait to try it.  Wish me luck.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.