New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2 things that are getting under my skin!  (Read 5537 times)

Offline MT-pail

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Bandito- Co-Founder
2 things that are getting under my skin!
« on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:10 PM »

As I read the posts here, there are things that I am glad to see and there are things that piss me off to no end.

Garbage on the ice:
While I do not believe that any member of this "team" would do anything to cause harm or pollute the waterways of this state, I do think that as a "team" of large numbers we can all pull together to help thwart these actions when we see them. Does anyone remember the petition we all started against our new DEC director last year. Hell it even ended up in local bait shops and newspapers. If we can have that kind of effect on the "anglers" who constantly litter "OUR" waterways, this problem could be licked in no time.

Some of you may say you don't want to interact with these "anglers" because of being out numbered etc. No problem...don't get yourselves into a bad situation. Lets just vow to report them in cases like that. Those of you that know me know that I'll open my big mouth any chance I get. Out numbered or not, someone is gonna know exactly how I feel. My daughter is 7 years old and I'll be damned if I will sit there and allow people to kill our natural resources while I watch, knowing that in 20 years, she may not be able to fish these places because of the actions of the previous generation. So lets see if we can get our "team" to pull together against such nonsensual behavior and save our favorite spots for our children!

Leaving fish on the ice:

This one is age old and really turns my stomach. There are so many people out there that complain about the number of fish that they saw some guy take and that the population is going to suffer because of the constant havesting of fish. And yet, these same hypocrites will fish with 5 or 6 other guys and they ALL leave tons of small perch or small sunfish on the ice to die! WHY? Last year I fished a spot where I personally found 18 small CRAPPIE left behind! I wanted to kill someone! Jesus Christ, if you don't want the fish or it doesn't measure up...put it back! Again, I know that responsible anglers, like those on this site, would not partake in this kind of nonsense, but we got to help stop it!. Please guys...please speak up and say something to the people you see doing this. The future of "good" fishing depends on it!

I am sorry to spout off like this, But being stuck inside day after day and having to read about garbage and then thinking about the fish killing just finally got to me!

TEAM BANDITO STRIKES AGAIN!!

ICE IS NICE!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re: 2 things that are getting under my skin!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:21 AM »

AMEN !!!!    That goes double for me!!!

PWR BAIT

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:18 AM »
I agree with you there are allot of people that don't have the backbone to say anything to people who are slobs.Garbage and fish on the ice should be addressed and if you don't say anything or do anything YOU SHOULDN'T GRIPE ABOUT IT.Do the right thing !

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2007, 04:24 AM »
I don't know how it is down there but up here in Alaska they have laws against waste (both fish and game animals).  But then enforcement officers are few and far between.
Travis

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2007, 05:16 AM »
Its not just trash on the ice, you should take walk down the banks of Salmon River some time. I fished the Black Hole for the first time this fall, I couldn't walk without stepping on old fishing line that was left behind.  >:( >:(

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2007, 11:18 AM »
It's a good vent. I always come back to the truck with a trap load of other peoples trash. The small fish on the ice thing is not only against the law, but just plain irresponsible. It's always good to raise awareness.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline redneck3673

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2007, 01:40 PM »
got to agree boss!At least the trash "WE"meaning responsible anglers can pick up if the SCUMBAGS who left it there dont.As for leaving the fish on the ice-I see this way way too often and most of the time its the guys b***hing that they didn't catch any "keepers" how are these smaller fish going to grow to be keepers if you don't PUT THEM BACK!!!!!!!!!!my 2 cents worth anyways.merry christmas to all the ethical anglers out there and to all the A-HOLES I hope you get lots of coal this year

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2007, 01:47 PM »
When it comes to ice fishing I havent seen to many cases of littering but I sure see my unfair share of trash during opem water :-\. I usaully pick up the empty worm containers and bottles & cans. The perps are usually long gone :-\
Personally if i saw someone leaving a mess I would call the dec and or the local police. That would teach them a lesson.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2007, 02:05 PM »
REGRETFULLY on this site while reading posts, I see alot of guys who leave small perch on the lake  :-[, not to be stereotypical, but it's mostly guys from Maine. To each his own I guess, but I sure do love a plate full of fresh perch.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline brymanmav

• IceShanty Rookie
  • perch pickin good time
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:24 AM »
As I read the posts here, there are things that I am glad to see and there are things that **censored** me off to no end.

Garbage on the ice:
While I do not believe that any member of this "team" would do anything to cause harm or pollute the waterways of this state, I do think that as a "team" of large numbers we can all pull together to help thwart these actions when we see them. Does anyone remember the petition we all started against our new DEC director last year. Hell it even ended up in local bait shops and newspapers. If we can have that kind of effect on the "anglers" who constantly litter "OUR" waterways, this problem could be licked in no time.

Some of you may say you don't want to interact with these "anglers" because of being out numbered etc. No problem...don't get yourselves into a bad situation. Lets just vow to report them in cases like that. Those of you that know me know that I'll open my big mouth any chance I get. Out numbered or not, someone is gonna know exactly how I feel. My daughter is 7 years old and I'll be d**ned if I will sit there and allow people to kill our natural resources while I watch, knowing that in 20 years, she may not be able to fish these places because of the actions of the previous generation. So lets see if we can get our "team" to pull together against such nonsensual behavior and save our favorite spots for our children!

Leaving fish on the ice:

This one is age old and really turns my stomach. There are so many people out there that complain about the number of fish that they saw some guy take and that the population is going to suffer because of the constant havesting of fish. And yet, these same hypocrites will fish with 5 or 6 other guys and they ALL leave tons of small perch or small sunfish on the ice to die! WHY? Last year I fished a spot where I personally found 18 small CRAPPIE left behind! I wanted to kill someone! Jesus Christ, if you don't want the fish or it doesn't measure up...put it back! Again, I know that responsible anglers, like those on this site, would not partake in this kind of nonsense, but we got to help stop it!. Please guys...please speak up and say something to the people you see doing this. The future of "good" fishing depends on it!

I am sorry to spout off like this, But being stuck inside day after day and having to read about garbage and then thinking about the fish killing just finally got to me!

MOST OF THESE IGNORANT PEOPLE VIOLATING THE WATERWAYS ARE SLOBS IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE AS WELL AS ON THE WATER / ICE IVE EVEN SEEN THESE TYPES GET ALL THE WAY BACK TO THERE VEHICLE AND DO WHAT I CONSIDER THE MOST VILE OF ALL ACTS NEAR THE WATERWAYS........THESE LAZY FILTHY SLOBS TAKE THERE ASHTRAYS OUT OF THERE VEHICLES AND EMPTY THESE PILES OF CIGARETTE BUTTS ONTO THE GROUND NEXT TO THERE OPEN CAR DOOR...ALONG WITH THERE MC DONALDS BAGS ETC.   MAYBE THEY THINK THAT THESE CIGARETTE BUTTS DEGRADE OVER NIGHT.....SORRY IT TAKES A TAD LONGER FOAM AND TAR YOU DO THE MATH.......PHILLIP MORRIS SHOULD COME UP WITH SOME SORT OF ADDITIVE TO PUT INTO THE CIG BUTTS THAT IS ADDICTIVE ENOUGH TO MAKE THE SMOKERS WANT TO EAT THE BUTTS WHEN THERE DONE MAYBE THIS WOULD HELP......JUST A THOUGHT......

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:31 AM »
had some guys dropping cig butts on the ice yesterday...i consider that littering as well

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:39 AM »
had some guys dropping cig butts on the ice yesterday...i consider that littering as well

It certainly is, I caught 2 beautiful Browns one day, I usually do not harvest them but kept them as a treat. When I cleaned them I checked the stomach to see what they were eating (which all aware anglers should do) and they BOTH had 2 cig. butts in their stomach. It was so gross to me that I could not eat them. Sounds extreme I know but I hate cigs. so much that I just angrily discarded the fish...

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:44 AM »
regretfully i would have tossed them to. I dont mind insects, worms, larvea , minnows etc but a cig butt in a trout will be a buzz kill. Bottom line our waters are not a trash can or toilet bowl. keep em clean
peace :afro:

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:08 AM »

I agree with everyone, I smoke, I bring a coffee can that stays right in the sled and that's where my butts go. Smoking was tough going to school for conservation, not a lot of smokers in that crowd. They made you very aware of your habit and how you got rid of your butts(field strip and in the pocket). A little thought goes along way. Interesting twist, the world record pike(former I believe) was caught on a rig that consisted of garbage, a women's bra cup and a leader with the hook dressed with, you guessed it, a cigarette butt! Look in an older version of the Angler's Bible, that's where I read it! :tipup:

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:32 PM »
got to agree boss!At least the trash "WE"meaning responsible anglers can pick up if the SCUMBAGS who left it there dont!
  we pick up after those scumbags all the time,we fish the olcott piers all the time in the fall and everytime we leave our nets are full of other peoples trash!!! I will tell you that we have seen other people fill thier nets on thier way off the pier. so if we just keep picking up after the scumbags other people will notice and start picking up also. :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I hate to say it but some people need a fishing ethic's course before being handed a licence!

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Totally agree but I will add a pet peeve of mine. People who blame everything on

! Jesus Christ, if you don't want the fish or it doesn't measure

If I would say Buddha or Muhammed like that??   YIHOEW  I would be in trouble..  people use Gods name like that all the time and it gets REALLY old... 

I agree with you a100% but use another expletive PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Offline pikeorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:24 PM »
My two cents on the topic....
Unfortunately, leaving trash behind seems to be just another entitlement people feel is due them. It's not just ice fishing. How many of you have shown up to a campsite in the summer only to find the pigs before you left their trash? How many of you have to pick up trash from your yard that was thrown out the window of a passing car, or because your neighbors didn't properly secure it? I'm sure there are alot of other examples. It's really a sad situation. I'm afraid it will only get worse. When I was a kid I remember that there was a big ad campaign to reduce littering. Some of the commercials actually depicted a crying Indian standing along the side of the highway amongst a bunch of trash. Maybe it's time to bring those commercials back. I quess all you can do is report the offenders, and pick up after them. 'Take only pictures, leave only footprints.'

Since I started ice fishing in the early 90's, I don't think I've ever seen anybody discard fish (other than bait fish) on the ice, but it doesn't surprise me that it happens. If you see it happen, report the offenders if you can.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:00 PM »
Litterbugs and fish abusers are scum of the earth. I would like to see fines for littering go up like 10 fold to really hurt these people financially, but, I have never actually HEARD of anyone getting pulled over and fined for littering.

I personally wish that there were cameras recording the activities of every single vehicle that drove on the roads, all the time, with technology advanced enough to arrest people based on camera footage. Also I wish satellite imagery of fishing spots could pinpoint with certainty violators of fish laws and littering violations, and that scumbags would be put on notice via signage at fishing spots that they are being watched by satellite, can be identified and prosecuted, and will not get away with a single act of abuse of the environment.

It is sickening enough to see anybody doing this, but when people with young children do this stuff, they are not only creating the next generation of scumbags since children usually copy their parents, but they are also saying they don't care what kind of world their children inherit.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Yes, DFuller, I agree with you.
 Maybe there should be a sign posted at each lake telling people not to litter, then you could litter and argue with the officer who comes to tell you that you are not supposed to be littering.

Kingfisher, is this a slam on me based on my post under " Confrontations on Ice " ? If so, please realize that regardless of what you think of me after that particular post/topic, I am an unwaivering proponent of the environment, and do not throw so muich as a gum wrapper out of my car, do not keep or otherwise kill a single fish that I do not intend to eat, and consistent with the regs.

if you want to chime in on the referenced post, please do so on that topic, and don't confuse fellow IS Members about my attitudes on the environment by commenting on my story there in this topic. Thank you.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2007, 05:19 AM »
If this starts getting personal, it will go to the GOMS!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:22 AM »
Yes, DFuller, I agree with you.
 Maybe there should be a sign posted at each lake telling people not to litter, then you could litter and argue with the officer who comes to tell you that you are not supposed to be littering.

huhh ??? ??? Is that like a jedi mind trick ??? or just silly talk.

I really like the idea of the littering signs. it could actually serve as a soft ball approach to the offenders. something like.... hey buddy did you see those no littereing signs, the park police or the dec have been cracking down on violaters lately while they have been checking on certified bait... almost sounds like your doing them a favor..

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:31 AM »
One I've used in the past, when I see someone leaving junk behind;

I walk over before they leave and start a conversation..."How'd you do?" etc. Then start picking up the junk saying "Let me help you pick that stuff up. You wouldn't want to leave it behind."  It works if they're still sober. They're usually embarrassed.
RG

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:39 AM »
It's nice to read that about several members picking up trash.  Unfortunately, humans are slobs, and I don't think this will ever change.  I really don't like picking up after slobs.  However, at nearly 15 thousand members, can you imagine the amount of trash we could collect.  I think part of being an I/S member should be helping to take care of the environment.  The environment gives us so much....maybe it's time we return the favor.

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2007, 08:39 AM »
It's nice to read that about several members picking up trash.  Unfortunately, humans are slobs, and I don't think this will ever change.  I really don't like picking up after slobs.  However, at nearly 15 thousand members, can you imagine the amount of trash we could collect.  I think part of being an I/S member should be helping to take care of the environment.  The environment gives us so much....maybe it's time we return the favor.

The part about "don't think this will ever change" bothers me. If you provide the correct tactic for control, you can nearly eliminate it, maybe not completely but, if you have enforcement where getting caught hits you in the wallet, or removes the privilege then maybe it can work. If I owned a body of water or a parking place, I would remove the privilege of anyone being able to use it...I do not want to refer to communism but strict enforcement could work...or maybe even a reward for picking up the litter??? The bottle bill certainly did allot for keeping bottles picked up. Maybe we should have a deposit on Coleman fuel tanks, water bottles, I don't know....don't give up, with enough pressure we can quell it at least to a point that is better than it is now...

Offline MT-pail

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Bandito- Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2007, 08:45 AM »
I would like to thank all of you who have posted to my babbleing about what gets me down. There are several good ideas throughout these posts and I fully believe that if we all pitched in with any of these ideas we could begin to make a change. IS is a huge member based group. A group of passionate and caring people when it comes to the preservation of our environment and waterways. How many of you have tried to fish in a spot that you fished when you were kids, only to have the owner of the marina or adjacent property tell you that no fishing is allowed here anymore because of the "slob fisherman" that left trash or ruined docks. Not only do they ruin the fishing area, they ruin it for others.

I do think that RG had a great idea. Embarrass these people or gulit them into taking the trash with them.

And Deepcreekicer thinks its time for us to give back to mother nature....I agree 100%.

Lets not argue...lets just get together on this and make a change!
TEAM BANDITO STRIKES AGAIN!!

ICE IS NICE!!

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Unfortunately the number of slobs on earth will never be zero, but zero should still be our goal. Until then we should shift our mentality from "if you bring it in, bring it out", to "leave it better then you found it".
You can't do it all yourself, but there are way more of us then there are of them(slobs) and if we each do a little it will make a difference.
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the point is don't get discouraged. Good deeds are often less visable then bad deeds. We got the numbers and were taking over.

JJ

« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:06 AM »
I really like the idea of the littering signs. it could actually serve as a soft ball approach to the offenders. something like.... hey buddy did you see those no littereing signs, the park police or the dec have been cracking down on violaters lately while they have been checking on certified bait... almost sounds like your doing them a favor..
signs will be put up at the access points on Lake George, the King, this winter, they are being printed up now.

Offline perchman19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:18 AM »
thats Discusting

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I pick up trash whenever I come across it on the ice, and I encourage you guys to do the same. Its easy to overlook it, but if anyone's going to keep our lakes clean, its going to be us. Bring a little bag with you, it will remind you when you come across discarded trash. If our outdoorsmen don't keep nature clean, then why would the people who don't spend time in it would?

Carrry in, and carry out. Leave no trace. Its an easy principle. I know there's guys that read this thread that leave stuff on the ice, and hopefully some of them will decide to do the right thing to preserve their past-time. Lakes get restriction on them because there's people that don't respect nature and the others that enjoy it.

What we're all trying to say is...

Don't be that guy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.