Author Topic: Walleye Draws  (Read 816 times)

1bigboomstick

Walleye Draws
« on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:57 AM »
Hey guys,

I know many of us have read and contributed to the past posts about the walleye draws in AB. I just heard a small news bit on the radio about them and it got me thinking about them again. A fella from SRD stated that the walleye draws have been successful and they have not affected the recovery rate in a negative way. Apparently they are going to do further testing next year and they may offer these draws in other lakes, they specifically said Magregor is a good candidate.

A couple years ago when they first started talking about the walleye draws, I thought it would be a great idea. If I remember right, the majority of board members disagreed with the walleye draws. And after listening to some of their reasons, I have sinced changed my views and I too am not so sure it's a perfect solution. The main reason I do not support the walleye draws is the fear that this pay per fish licensing will escalate. As stated by others before me, this opens the door for SRD to opt for this type of licensing anytime they feel that further control is needed.

As a fisherman, wishing to enjoy a feed of fresh walleye once in a while, but worried about contibuting to the promotion of pay per fish licensing, I say they should continue to release tags for a specific number of slotted fish in these lakes. However, they should not charge for them. They should be released one per person, and on a first come first serve basis.

However, as a businessman, I realize that the cost to manage this program goes over and above the expenses of our regular fisheries management. Successful companies recognize these situations and adjust their pricing to accomodate for this. If SRD does not follow suit, it will hurt them financially and unfortunately this is one company that we all hold stock in.

Descisions Descisions!

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye Draws
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:04 PM »
While they have 4 options really open the lakes up like a bunch of u guys are saying which would destroy the walleye populations in the lakes. Do what they did last year and expand them to other lakes. They could do the freeforall idea that u just stated. Or they can just keep them closed and let the walleye destroy the lakes.
This isn't at all a cash grab. I think they sould open it up to more lakes i also think they charge more and give away more tags with it. The tag system is probably going to be around for good now. So get use to it. Stop complaining about if u want to eat fish for supper go get them from the super market or pay for the dam tags.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.