Author Topic: Fishing in the Storm  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing in the Storm
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Yup I am nuts but when I looked out the window yesterday morning it didn't look too bad. I decided to get out before it got too bad so I went down the hill to the Ottawa River to target some eyes. Once I got there it was a lot windier than I thought but I trudged out to my spot, set up, and started jigging. For about 10 minutes the Vex was void of movement and I was thinking I should pack up and head home and then I jigged up a nice fat red bar that turned out to be this nice chunk.

After that it was non stop for about an hour and a half. Sadly while I was slaying the eyes the wind kept picking up. I started to get the feeling that I was going to take an unscheduled flight from Ottawa to Montreal in my Fish Trap so I packed it up and went home. It was fun while it lasted though

I love my Clam, Vex, Mr. Buddy...

Offline bounty_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing in the Storm
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:13 PM »
hahaha very brave,    that looks mighty tasty i might add

good show lad   :tipup:

Bring On The Ice!!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Hey,at least you were catching fish  ;) Anyone else ballsy enough to brave the gusts down there as well?

Trying my luck tomorrow..

Thanks for the report Richard, talk to ya soon :)
Andrew

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Hardcore buddy, just hardcore.  T-minus 5 days 'til we hit the spot... can't wait.

Don

PS- should be grabbing the FT Pro tomorrow finally, you still looking at getting a traplink?  I may pick one up, we'll see after I buy the cover as well.

Offline bowzog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:21 AM »
..nice gold bar dude!! :) ;D.....can't believe you went out in that storm..... :o
been out on the ice lately?......slip slidin' away.....slip slidin' away.....I sat down in my hut and now I'm slip slidin' away....

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Wow nice golden Rich

I went to work yesterday...  :P

I need to hit the bay for some eye action.... damn honey do Xmas list is long though.   :'(

Oh well... soon enough I will be out.

Offline chill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:14 AM »
That is hardcore. Thanks for the report. Looks like its gonna be 2008 before I get a chance to get out on the hard stuff.  >:(. Why must there only be 24 hrs in a day.

C.

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Anyone else ballsy enough to brave the gusts down there as well?

As I was leaving thee was a guy in a truck heading towards Crappie BAy, not sure if he went out. I almost went there to see if it was protected from teh wind but opted for home and fishing shows!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:10 PM »
As I was leaving thee was a guy in a truck heading towards Crappie BAy, not sure if he went out. I almost went there to see if it was protected from teh wind but opted for home and fishing shows!

WFN, I don't blame ya :D
Andrew

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:26 AM »
go get them eyes

All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:53 AM »
A bit better size than what I was catching on saturday.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:31 PM »

Rich, is that a minnow bucket or propane tank right next to ya ??? :o Want to get the hose for mine just looking for a used 5lb tank.
Andrew

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:41 PM »
 Nothng againnst you guys but how do you get through ottawa without getting lost? Took me a hour to get out of that city going through and comming home took me another hour it didn't help that somehow i ended back in hall and the person i asked for directions from on the other side of the river wouldn't speak english.

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:03 PM »

Rich, is that a minnow bucket or propane tank right next to ya ??? :o Want to get the hose for mine just looking for a used 5lb tank.

It's a 5lb propane tank. I find it a bit heavy for hauling around though!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:26 PM »
Nothng againnst you guys but how do you get through ottawa without getting lost? Took me a hour to get out of that city going through and comming home took me another hour it didn't help that somehow i ended back in hall and the person i asked for directions from on the other side of the river wouldn't speak english.

Pretty easy city to travel, and if you ended up in Quebec you were on course for the LOOONG way back to New York  :roflmao: :roflmao:  Do any fishing while you were here?

Don

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:10 AM »
 Thats where we were going when we got lost in ottawa we were on our way  to Val-d'or when we got lost te first time. There was a ton of construction going on. Then on the way back were got stuck in the same stuff. While in Val-d'or we caught tons of walleyes it ws like catching fish in a barrell  :icefish:

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:47 AM »
It's a 5lb propane tank. I find it a bit heavy for hauling around though!

Kind of figured...should it be outside of the trap? No? Talk to ya on the ice soon Nighttroller  :)
Andrew

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:45 AM »
A buddy and I went out on Lake Erie once when it was calm, but it didn't stay like that for long, We were out there about 4 miles, and the wind started picking up, and then the snow came. All we had was a wind-break. The snow was going sideways cuz of the gail force winds, and we couldn't see shore anymore. At about 3:30 in the afternoon it started to settle down and we were able to see some trees on shore, so we packed up and started heading in. One of the wildest fishing trips I've been on. The fishing sucked, but it was a good time anyway.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Vvlamored  there is only 2 seasons in Ottawa ,  Construction and Winter. and it's not Winter yet!!!!!
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.