New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: moreau  (Read 4954 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
moreau
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:08 PM »
Does anyone know if moreau lake state park is letting people on the ice
yet ??? I called last week and some kid said the signs were still up. o got a ticket last year(ultimatley dropped) and I'm not going to bother with the place until I know they are letting peole on the ice

Offline NY_trout_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: moreau
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:22 PM »
i called 12/16/07 they told me it wasent safe

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I would be curious to know if they actually left the office and measured the ice ::)
The go by 4 inchs at moreau. Last year they threw us off the ice without even knowing the real ice conditions or for that matter without even measuring ....nope, instead they put up signs after everyone was on the ice and then proceeded to issue tickets...so much for a friendly warning....i'm not taking any chances this year

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:45 PM »
i called 12/16/07 they told me it wasent safe

Of course they did.

Offline lucass35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Does moreau offer good fishing? and what do you fish there?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:12 PM »
2 yrs ago i jigged up a 20" rainbow out of a canoe. Big for this size body of water. Swedish pimple with a fathead. Never fails.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:55 PM »
nice bows in that lake :tipup:

Offline kokeaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring the Kokanee back to Glass Lake.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:59 PM »
 Perch are very good too. If you get a Greenlight to get out on there Post It. I will inquire too so watch for a post. Good Luck.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Granted the g/f wants to take a ride. I'll drive down and pop a hole if noone is there to ticket me.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:41 AM »
Granted the g/f wants to take a ride. I'll drive down and pop a hole if noone is there to ticket me.
save yourself the trip...they are going to be drilling a hole themselves today (so them claim). I just called the office and spoke with a women who claims that there is still open water per one of there maintence guys....That ironic b/ I was there yesterday and I didnt see any. ??? ??? is in South Glens Falls experincing a heat wave  :cookoo: Anyway I would call to see if they actually drilled  and mseaured 793 0511 ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:57 AM »
What is the problem with this place. It's absolutely insane to say there's open water down there. Maybe over by the foot bridge but that area never freezes well any way. But if they went by that we'd never fish that lake on hard water.omg they say no fishing this weekend. I say avoid the place for a bit they'll def. be checkin' after both of us called. She said it is open by the bridge. I think they wanna save the fish for the campers that aren't from around here any way. i don't understand. This irks the heck out of me. >:( :o :'(

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:19 AM »
What is the problem with this place. It's absolutely insane to say there's open water down there. Maybe over by the foot bridge but that area never freezes well any way. But if they went by that we'd never fish that lake on hard water.omg they say no fishing this weekend. I say avoid the place for a bit they'll def. be checking' after both of us called. She said it is open by the bridge. I think they wanna save the fish for the campers that aren't from around here any way. i don't understand. This irks the heck out of me. >:( :o :'(

open water by the bridge....is that what they said ::) ::)  Is that what the hold up is :'( :'( Did they actually go down and drill few holes and measure :-\  Why are they so intent on being this way ??? I am the first to say better safe than sorry but in all the time I fished moreau, I've never seen anyone ice fishing by the bridge.  Put up a sign  or some cones by the bridge. Well our early ice window is getting smaller and smaller. I don't get it but if about safety then I guess  :cookoo:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:25 AM »
She didn't say anything to me about drilling holes. She just said," There will be no fishing on this lake this weekend.". I hung up b4 I got irritaded. I would like to call again but we better not. Guess I'm driving this weekend. Sucks because this lake is closer than anything else. I'm 15 min away.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:39 AM »
If this continues and there is obviously safe ice, someone should consider going over their heads by sending a well-crafted letter to their supervisors, as well as the assemblyman and senator who represent that area. We pay our taxes and the license fees to enjoy the public waters of New York and we should not be held hostage by ignorant people. I've never ice-fished Moreau, but if its like many waters, there will be areas that won't ice over all winter. They can't use that as an excuse as to why the rest of the lake isn't fishable.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Great idea kayak. I tend to be a computard. If someone has the know how or time. This should be done if it continues late into the month. We know it is safe. We're being told by people that don't fish that it is not safe.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:24 PM »
I would volunteer, but I have never fished there in winter.

Offline BigEd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Halfmoon, NY
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2007, 02:37 PM »
NY_trout_nut and I will be heading there Sat.  I'm going out on the ice regardless of the sign.  If the sign is still up I might try to enter from the woods on the back side of the park....That way if they do decide to leave the office to give me a ticket I can say I never passed by the "Keep Off The Ice" sign.  We stopped by on 12/9 and it was completely frozen over.  It has to be safe now!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Dude. Be careful. Jflood and I both called the office 2day. I think I irritated the lady on the phone when I asked the same ques. within 5 min. They'll be lookin' 2 ticket someone this weekend because of that. I'd hate 2 hear 'Bout you gettin a ticket. But if you do make it out. Let us know. Ya got bigger nads than I. :o I hope to god they're not lookin at this site man. Good luck I'm headin' north.   

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:14 PM »
NY_trout_nut and I will be heading there Sat.  I'm going out on the ice regardless of the sign.  If the sign is still up I might try to enter from the woods on the back side of the park....That way if they do decide to leave the office to give me a ticket I can say I never passed by the "Keep Off The Ice" sign.  We stopped by on 12/9 and it was completely frozen over.  It has to be safe now!
biged,
Do what ya gotta do but I can speak from first hand experience, they will ticket you. Its a shame :'( They do leave the office(maintenance guys) and they wont bother coming out to warn ya. They will send the park police and that will be that. Like I said do what ya gotta do but i would put $$ on the fact they will be looking for people this weekend. Many people have been calling and the awareness level is highten.
 :'( :'(

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I just called again. A guy answered the phone this time. Said they did drill a hole in the bay near the boat launch. 4 in. pry 2 towards center.Ice looked really slushy towards the middle.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:28 PM »
is the weekend still off limits ???

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:49 PM »
If this continues and there is obviously safe ice, someone should consider going over their heads by sending a well-crafted letter to their supervisors, as well as the assemblyman and senator who represent that area. We pay our taxes and the license fees to enjoy the public waters of New York and we should not be held hostage by ignorant people. I've never ice-fished Moreau, but if its like many waters, there will be areas that won't ice over all winter. They can't use that as an excuse as to why the rest of the lake isn't fishable.

WHY WAIT ?
                                I was told that they are fishing Grafton Lakes,It must be colder there   :cookoo:
  Between not letting you on the ice on Moreau and not allowing you to ride an ATV. on the ice on Saratoga ? It seems like the park boys have a set of rules all of their own..I wonder if this is just in region 5 or they are screwed up throughout the state :%$#!:

NAD42

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Moreau 'pond', as I call it...is it really worth the risk of losing a hundred bucks to a fine or possibly your life by drowning? I have to side with the park on this issue,....but as for the 4 wheeler situation on 'toga, complete non-sense.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Moreau 'pond', as I call it...is it really worth the risk of losing a hundred bucks to a fine or possibly your life by drowning? I have to side with the park on this issue,....but as for the 4 wheeler situation on 'toga, complete non-sense.

Dude's gotta point. Plenty of small bodies to fish. I guess the problem is... If you go through your not only risking your own life but the guys that gotta pull your butt out. Whatever dude they got ya by the nads. I'm heading north.

JJ

« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:40 PM »
No brookies in this pond though NAD42. ;D

NAD42

« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I hope that the Moreau regulars don't lose their access due to a few irresponsible people. Imagine the  lawsuits from kin because their 'child' didn't see a CLOSED sign as he/she took a shortcut, and deep sixed.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:55 PM »
First of all there shouldn't be closed signs. Think about it.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:36 PM »
The problem with the busybodies that decide when ice is safe, in places like Moreau, is that these people have no experience with ice. I fell victim to this crap a few years at Harriman State park in Orange Co. Lake Tioratti to be specific. Well, I had the brilliant idea to go over there and try ice fishing, without realizing what a bunch of stupid people they have making rules. I parked the car, read the warning to STAY OFF THE ICE, and ignored it knowing the ice was definitely safe.

Well, I measured 8 inches of ice, enough to drive my car on. Soon after setting up, the green-shirted park ranger geek with no clue appeared on the shore and told me to get off the ice because it was not safe. In case you have not figured it out yet, I love to tell this story any chance I get. I argued with the geek, told him I could drive my car on it, when was the last time they measured the ice, #$!@ you I'm staying. He left, then 15 minutes later I hear a bullhorn voice telling me to get off the ice, musta been the geek's boss, and this time an ENCON officer accompanied. I don't ever remember being more homicidal in my life. I wrapped up my stuff, got on shore and tore their heads off. F this and F that and what the F is the problem with this MF place. I've never heard of such MF crap in my life I could drive my F'ing car across here. You say you need 6" of ice to allow fishing? I said, " go down there with me and we'll read my tape measure together. 8" of ice bud. Ice fishing season is short enough here. You need to measure ice every day. I'm glad I paid $ 19 for a licwense to catch this kind of SH... " ECO rolled up window and refused to listen to anymore of my psycho RANT./ Man did they drive me to it.

I showed up in Court to pay a $ 25 fine 3 months later for violating their ridiculous signs. It was worth it to belittle their ignorant asses. I have no interest in these places with stupid rules. I will never again give a stupid park ranger type the satisfaction of telling me I can't fish on safe ice.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2007, 03:25 AM »
Dude. I love that story

Offline ebjeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:47 AM »
my hero dude

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.