Author Topic: how to use a hali?  (Read 11006 times)

Offline ice hound

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Thats one for the dinner table.
how to use a hali?
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Everyone says that hali jigs are possibly THE best perch jig but I've never caught anything with them. Am I doing it wrong? What is the best way to use a hali? Are they good for walleyes also?
If the ice never melted I'd never leave.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: how to use a hali?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I think a lot of people will have differnt ways they use the Hali with success, for me, I use them to get down in the water quick and then a do small finese jigs, letting the chain do it's work, subtle movements with the rod tip or short jigs are what has been successfull for me

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:32 PM »
packing the maggots on ( 6-10 ) and keeping them fresh seems to work well for me...

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2007, 06:08 PM »
packing the maggots on ( 6-10 ) and keeping them fresh seems to work well for me...
wow u prolly fly threw maggots dont u
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:06 PM »
Another good tip for perch, is to jig for a bit, and if you don't see any fish on your sonar or get any bites, drop it onto the bottom fast to stir up some sediment. Do it a couple of times, drop and lift, then slow lift and hold. Experiment at this point. Stirring up the bottom is always worth trying for perch when things are slow. Halis are better at this than most lures of their size due to how heavy they are.

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Split the minnow in half when the are being finicky.  The scent drives them nuts.  I often switch from minnows to spikes set up on a couple of poles. 

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 01:21 PM »
I put perch eyes on my hali's. Seems to work well
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I bring it up quick but let it down very slow... making it resemble a bait fish chasing food... That technique works wonders for me.... soon as u let it down your line will crinkle... We all know what that means HAHA

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:48 PM »
i have a camera so i kind of study the patterns.... jig it real hard then let it sit and on the deadstick they normally test bite it then gulp it in.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:55 PM »
i have a camera so i kind of study the patterns.... jig it real hard then let it sit and on the deadstick they normally test bite it then gulp it in.
I have a camera too and one thing that I think is neat is that by looking at the Halie you wouldn't think it does much but you would be very wrong when you make a snap on the Halie it darts sharply away on the way down and I use this technique to get the perch coming in from a far. Works great tipped with a spike

Offline madmichael365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:58 AM »
hit bottom, come up about a foot then tickle the line, work's good
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/fishincutie/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/IMG]

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Tipped with a spike?

I use the straight to the bottom and jig off the bottom a few times. I'll hit the bottom reel it one time and jig it a few times. I love this bait!
Anthony

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Tipped with a spike?

I use the straight to the bottom and jig off the bottom a few times. I'll hit the bottom reel it one time and jig it a few times. I love this bait!

You dont know what a spike is? We have them in every bait shop in Michigan, what they are is a pupa stage of a fly and you can get them in a red stage of a white stage. They are about 1/4 of an inch long and work great.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:44 PM »
Maggots? Yes the red ones work well too. Seems around here they are liking the waxies lately.
Anthony

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I drop it to the bottom, then pound it on the bottom a couple times, reel it up 6-12 inches, then i just hold, and I let the shaking of my hands do the work.  Works like a charm  ;D

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:51 PM »
just got my first one today ill be trying it out tomorrow sometime hopin the perch love it :tipup:

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:53 PM »
You guys have got me interested in them. Will give it a try.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:02 PM »
A friend of mine caught a laker on one last year jiggin for perch on lake George. Still don't understand why that little chain does not break.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:54 PM »
A friend of mine caught a laker on one last year jiggin for perch on lake George. Still don't understand why that little chain does not break.

That little chain is very Strong but the hook isn't. I have snapped those hooks allot but never on a perch so I would have to say that they are strong enough to catch a 7lb fish but never caught a fish bigger than 5lbs so it is just a guess. How big was the laker :-\ .

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I believe It was 21-24" range and he caught a pike the same size a week later on the same Hali
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:42 PM »
I believe It was 21-24" range and he caught a pike the same size a week later on the same Hali

Sounds like about a 6lb to 7lb Laker. O yeah those small pike love Hali's, but like I said I don't think the Hali would do to well on a 10 pounder "SNAP GOES THE HOOK"  :'( . Hey if any one has ever caught a big fish over 7lbs on a Hali than please prove me wrong cause I love Hali's and would like to hear of one landing a big boy  :o .

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »
We use the Hali's a lot for the tulibees

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Sounds like about a 6lb to 7lb Laker. O yeah those small pike love Hali's, but like I said I don't think the Hali would do to well on a 10 pounder "SNAP GOES THE HOOK"  :'( . Hey if any one has ever caught a big fish over 7lbs on a Hali than please prove me wrong cause I love Hali's and would like to hear of one landing a big boy  :o .
My uncle landed a 24'' laker on a hali this weekend and his line had a nice perch on the top teardrop also. took himm 15 min. to fight it in. I have brought to the hole a HUGE whitefish probably 10lbs on a hali and the 7" hole was too small, got his head part way up the hole then the chain snapped. The sad part was the gaff was only a few feet away. :%$#!:
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I drop it down slam the bottom a couple times then dead stick just off the bottom wait a little bit then jig softly.You can get replacement chains and hooks worth changing after alot of action to keep strength.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:54 PM »
I changed the hooks on my hali's with a small treble and it solved the
problem of the single hook breaking, etc.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2008, 06:38 PM »
i lost the biggest pike of my life today on a hali

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:55 PM »
[/quote

I'm wondering why you didn't show me how to work a Hali..

Just kiddin..

Stan

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:44 AM »
I had to change out the hooks on my hali's.I bought the smaller ones.Glo-perch and gold.Found out the hard way that the smaller hook size on them wasn't sticking larger perch or 'gills.

I like using them it gets down fast if the action picks up.I drop it right to bottom,pound a few times or if they're really on a good snap and let it drop back down.Usually never makes back down as they grab it on the way back down and if your line stays coiled in your hole you know what that means  ;D

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:38 PM »
[/quote

I'm wondering why you didn't show me how to work a Hali..

Just kiddin..

Stan

haha u basstard lol.... i read it before looking at who wrote it and i was like huh? then i saw it was u and AHH... i hammered em yesterday on a hali tipped with gulp lol

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:46 PM »
haha u basstard lol.... i read it before looking at who wrote it and i was like huh? then i saw it was u and AHH... i hammered em yesterday on a hali tipped with gulp lol
put a m 80 on the end  let her go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.