Author Topic: thickest ice you've hand augered  (Read 6270 times)

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
thickest ice you've hand augered
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:06 AM »
 Last March I was at Honeybee lake and the Ice was real thick. I got to the end of the hand Auger and I still had more to drill. wow I thought after all that I'm not going home so I took out the Ice scoop and started chipping out the edge of the hole so that I could turn the auger handle then I drilled a second hole the same way. The next week I barowed a power auger with an extension. When I got the auger out of the box for this year I saw that it has a handle that extends to 54 inches that means I hand augured two holes through about 56" of ice.  any way whets the most ice that others have hand drilled. when it comes to fishing I will not be denied! Ask my wife she's tryed to danie me the chance several times she says thats why she wont buy me a power auger for Christmas she thinks that I'll stay home more     

Offline Pedey_13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: thickest ice you've hand augered
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:44 AM »
I know the felling last year I was augering about 56'' 58'' and the wife kept telling me it's not worth it lets just go home. 20 minutes latter wouldn't you know I was fishing and I fished all day long to when I get the chance to get out there I will not be denied I must fish.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:33 AM »
about 2 feet
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:39 AM »
In the early stages of ice fishing I had a 10" hand auger. I got my jiffy after drilling a hole in 36" of ice only to find about 6" of water! I set a trap in that hole and watched it for 3 hours anyway! Was exhausted. 1 hole was enuff with that dinosaur! :laugh:
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:48 AM »
In the early stages of ice fishing I had a 10" hand auger. I got my jiffy after drilling a hole in 36" of ice only to find about 6" of water! I set a trap in that hole and watched it for 3 hours anyway! Was exhausted. 1 hole was enuff with that dinosaur! :laugh:
Call me a wimp but there is no way I would try the ice up here with a 10" hand auger.  I love to icefish but that would probably make me useless for the day.
Travis

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:08 AM »
Like I said, In the early stages of my icefishing days. I had no clue!  ???
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:47 AM »
18" up in Sydnum, Canada.  Not a unbelievable amount of ice to work through, just seems alot worse when you have a powerauger keeping warm in your basement back in the states!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:32 AM »
I make sure my blades get sharpened b4 dec. Then i do it again early jan. I watched A looney uncle of mine drill 15 holes through 24" plus on champlain. With an 8". You don't complain about drilling holes when you fish with this dude. He lives for it. "Gas augers are for wimps. If you can't cut your own holes go back to bed.". Shhhhh. If I ain't fishin' wit him, I break out the strikemaster anything over 12".
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:51 AM »
A couple years ago I had two extentions on my Strikemaster auger and didn't reach water. :-\  COuldn't tell you how thick the ice was.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:58 PM »
Last March on Chena Lakes My great Uncle from Sacramento was up visiting (for 3 months) and I took him out ice fishing with my 10 inch auger I just bought.

I already had an 18" extension and the 10" says it's 42" long. We started drilling about 100 ft out from the boat launch and I thought I made it to the bottom because we had water. I stuck the fishfinder ducer in the hole and it only read a couple of feet. I thought that's weird, it should be over 20 here. Come to find out I didn't make it through the first time so I had to drill it out but I had to spud some of the ice around the edge to get the auger that low.

I figured it was around 60 inches because I was the only one getting through and I ended up drilling some holes for other people too.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:04 PM »
A couple years ago I had two extentions on my Strikemaster auger and didn't reach water. :-\  COuldn't tell you how thick the ice was.

most likely you were about 3/4" short :woot:

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:27 PM »
I've hand augered holes in over 4' of ice on numerous occasions.  I'm not "AS" concerned about ice thickness now that I've got a Jiffy 30 10" ;D

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:40 PM »
About 36" with a 6" mora hand auger. I was a lot younger then.

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:03 PM »
About a foot with my grandpas spoon auger.  That was the last time I've used a hand auger, lol.  I'm sure the new ones are much better.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:07 PM »
I just had to take a measurment of my hand auger and it looks like my thickest was 34" wich is as far as I can go with my hand auger...and it did not get through the ice either...we had driven 3 hours to fish this lake and ended up having to rent a hut as my auger would not break through

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:43 PM »
I drilled 12 holes in 45 inches of ice out in the valley last year with a 6 inch hand auger. It was all in one day with a brand new auger, I had to sharpen the blades the next time I went out. This year I am running a 8" jiffy power auger. It sure is sweet to take 15 seconds to drill a whole rather than ten minutes.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:13 PM »
I have gone up to the end of the shaft on my old Mora and had to use a spud to go the rest of the way but that was in my younger days now I have a 10" power auger that I don't leave home without.  I started with an 8" but got tired of drilling Mickey Mouse holes on Harding Lake.  speaking of Harding anyone catching any fish down that way?  :tipup:
Bob

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:18 PM »
27 Inches Hand augered here in northern Iowa. A "few" times :laugh:

Offline Rdrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:39 AM »
I can't resist.....Whats a hand auger? someone post up a pic so I know what to stay away from 
It's alright I'm ok.......Is that my bike on fire?

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:13 PM »
I can't resist.....Whats a hand auger? someone post up a pic so I know what to stay away from 

LOL!!!

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:26 PM »
not sure exactly but over three feet - like others have said I had to chip out the top of the hole to get clearance for the handle! Definitely not the way to go if you have any alternative!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:02 PM »
I've spudded through 26" in Anchor Bay on Lake St. Clair, about twelve times between me and two other guys. You have to start out with a 12" hole to end up with a 4" hole by the time you break through. Never again! :P
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline TomToolery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:02 PM »
lol    boys dont even know what a hand auger looks like      http://img.youtube.com/vi/3Y-k-cX7rTE/default.jpg  Tom

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2007, 02:56 PM »
hmmm... thickest ice???  that would have been the heart of an old girlfriend years ago.  I augered all the way to bottom only to find out it was frozen solid :wacko:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:00 PM »
hmmm... thickest ice???  that would have been the heart of an old girlfriend years ago.  I augered all the way to bottom only to find out it was frozen solid :wacko:
[/quote Lmmfao Been there done that 2 good one]
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Back in the 70's when I first started ice fishing here in Fairbanks my buddies and I bought a hand auger to fish for burbot on the Tanana. After our first outing trying to drill through that frozen silt we gave up on the that brand new dull auger and decided to buy a power auger. We went and bought one that you bolted onto a chainsaw with the bar and chain removed, I believe we had a McColloch saw. It was a gear reduction that had enough torque to spin me in those days, wouldn't stand a chance today. Anyone else ever see one of those? Still have that hand auger and it probably still needs sharpening.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:07 AM »
About 40 inches.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:38 AM »
  I work in the bush and have seen the locals use ice chipping bars not even hand auger 5-6 feet. I remember one time before a cat train I test dill some holes in a river with a 3 hp with 2 1' extensons + auger. I'm 6'6" and it was almost over my head. I never hit water.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2007, 09:14 PM »
i was at a wisconsin trap attack and the ice was 18 inches thick, felt like it took 15 minutes.  i didn't drill too much after that.  boy i need a gas auger.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:45 PM »
As a teenager, early 70's, on Saginaw Bay I once spudded through 30" of ice to find 2' of water on top of a sand bar, does that count? Haven't owned a hand auger in twenty years. If it doesn't have a power head attached to it, I no longer want to use it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.