Author Topic: Need help choosing Flasher  (Read 7705 times)

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help choosing Flasher
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Okay i got a chance to buy a used but in real good condition Vexilar FL-8 w/ extra battery for a very good price of $220 or i was thinking of getting a MarCum VX-1 Flasher Reconditioned for $179.99.   Man i'm stuck i want to spend less but then i really like the Vex can you all help me decide which one would be best. Tryed to make this a poll post but couldnt firgure it out since this is my first post here.

Here's my Options
  • Vexilar FL-8 w/ extra Battery for $220
  • MarCum VX-1 Flasher Reconditioned for $179.99
  • Other for +/- $200

• Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • damn dinks
    Re: Need help choosing Flasher
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:43 PM »
    go with vex man u cant go wrong!!!!!
    Loren W
    ST.Croix
    Iced Slabs
    28 in walleye
    15 in crappie
    14 in perch
    12 in golden shiner
    25 in pickerel
    11 1/4 in bluegill
    6 1/2 pound largemouth
    36 in lake trout

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Keep the beer in the shanty
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:49 PM »
    I have a fl 18 and only diff. is zoom love it wont fish w/out it.Very easy to learn and easy to use ,vex all the way.
    [IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
    « Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:59 PM »
    Go with the Vex , You cant go wrong !

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:07 PM »
    The Vexilar is a bulletproof unit. Only Vexilar for me. ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Never settle for less
    « Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:15 PM »
    One is not going to catch you more fish that the other. The Fl8 is used and the Vx is reconditioned to new.No brainer if you ask me.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
    • Team IceShanty Regular
    • Give me ice or give me death !!!
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:25 PM »
    does the used one have a warranty ?   If it were me I'd go with the one that has one . Both are good but the warranty would sell me .
                                                      John

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • that's one big hole.
    « Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:57 PM »
    i do own the vexilar fl-8, and it's a great reliable unit.  never used a marcum, so i don't know how they are.  220.00 seems reasonable with the extra battery.  i believe batteries are about 20 bucks.  i think i paid 319.00 for mine brand new a few years ago.  good luck on your purchase!
    when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline WAN2PHISH

• IceShanty Rookie
    • JUMBOS
    « Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:19 PM »
    Try vexilar vs. MarCum google search you can find all kinds of info and links.
    yeah watcha got?

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • Perchpuller
    « Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:50 PM »
    has anyone out there tried the unit by aqua view with the vertical lcd screen?
    All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline mnwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:03 PM »
    Both are great units, but I dont think thats that great of a deal on the Vex!! I sold one with the Ultra Pack and all accessories for $200 and there are many on Craigslist.com for 150!! I have a Marcum LX-5 personally, but I owned a vexilar and my dad still uses one and both units are great!! Just check with your sporting goods store and see which one you like... it boils down to personal preference.

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:11 AM »
    is there a difference between the FL-8 and an FL-8SE?? Or they both the same

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • The story of my life
    « Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2007, 03:34 AM »
    Go with the Vx1, there should be a warranty, it is new, and it has bottom zoom.
    The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:42 AM »
    VEXILAR!  I wouldn't even give marcum a 2nd thought.  The fl8 is going to be perfect for your application.
    I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
    « Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:38 AM »
    Seems a bit pricey to me. Eventually you will want the zoom feature that Marcum offers. I have owned the Vex FL8 and FL 18 both ran flawless. I have since upgraded to the Marcum LX 5 with super zoom, better sunlight clarity and noise rejection feature. Just my 2 cents. All great units.
    He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Night time is the right time!
    « Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:49 AM »
    The Vexilar is a bulletproof unit. Only Vexilar for me. ;D
       Bullet proof is right! I frankensteined the wiring on mine and mount it on the dash of my snowmobile. Can take it off in 2 shakes and put back on the carrier. It takes a beating and have had no problems. Go with the Vex. ;D
    Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Hardwater Walker
    « Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:27 AM »
    I know this is not as popular a unit as the Vex's, but I bought a Lowrance X67c. I was very happy with and amazed at it's durability and numerous functions. I wanted a unit that had both an LCD screen for summer and a flasher for winter. Since I'd never used a flasher before, I found out watching a Babe Winkleman show that there was a way to set the scanner to show your jig in a "jagged" line, (when you're jigging, straight when you're not), and show the fish as a straight coming of the bottom hit your jig. I'll list a few features I like here, but you need to go to the website and run a demo to see all the features. One con with the unit though, setting it up in the unit is a little confusing, (actually the demo doesn't even display it , if I remember right, and the manual only had a few sentences saying could do this, with no pictures or explanations on how to set it up). Also, you might want to add better battery connectors, (though, I found a big part of my worry in damaging them was how I was pulling them of the battery, DUH!) OK, here's the go features:

1. Split screen options, with a zoom level up to 4x on left screen
    2. Can zoom to the bottom six ft. of the lake.
    3. I've had no problem showing a 1/64 to 1/100 down to 20-30 ft of water, (1/64 to 30 ft., 1/100 to 20ft.)
    4. I've read hear that many guys and gals haven't bought the LCD units because there's a time delay in real cold weather. I've never found this to be the case.

I know this list is very  short, but like I said go to the webpage, it explains it much better than I can. Also, since I'm no typist, this has about typed me out, (LOL)! Hope it helps, anyway.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Hardwater Walker
    « Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:32 AM »
    Oh, one thing I forgot in my last post--as far as setting up the X67c in the "line" mode, ask the guys here--you wouldn't believe what help they were!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:12 AM »
    is there a difference between the FL-8 and an FL-8SE?? Or they both the same

Here's some Vex timeline on the FL-8 series flashers.
    The FL-8 was made between 1989 and 1995.
    The FL-8SLT was made between 1995 and 2002.
    The FL-8SE was made from 2002 to now.

The original FL-8's don't have the interference rejection circuitry like the new ones. And none of the 8 series flashers have zoom.
    Get a unit that best fits your needs and style of fishing, not anyone else's.
    Ken                                          

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Hardwater Walker
    « Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:16 PM »
    Hey Bean,
     Where did you get the clip of the "motivational speaker"? I love it. Also, if it's not too much to ask how did you load it on this webpage and other webpages?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2007, 02:04 PM »
    I "borrowed" it from someone on a college football website a few years ago. You can find others on the web by doing a search for "animated gif".  Once you find one you like, just copy it to your computer somewhere. Then open your photobucket account and add it. Then copy the link from photobucket into your avatar info under your profile.
    Ken                                          

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:06 PM »
    The FL8-SE has brighter LED's AFAIK.  I had an FL8-SE and I found it noisy and the lines weren't as clear as I'd liked.  Got an LX-3 and I'm happy, the zoom is a big feature to me.  They're both good units, I think longevity wise they would be similar.  The basic flasher technology is the same and any flasher will help you catch fish.  Look at the features/price carefully and decide what's best.  To me it's a classic Ford/Chevy debate, everyone pipes up according to what they bought first and stuck with as the best product.  Not too many people here who hold either brand as being better have actually owned and used both, although there are undoubtedly some.

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:30 AM »
    Thank you all for all the great info and tips. I just bought the Vex FL-8 SLT today and it looks like its gonna work perfect for me.  Man i'm pumped to go take this out fishin cant wait. I'll let you all know how it goes i plan on going ice fishin 1st weekend in January. ;D

Well heres my baby

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:35 AM »
    Here's some Vex timeline on the FL-8 series flashers.
    The FL-8 was made between 1989 and 1995.
    The FL-8SLT was made between 1995 and 2002.
    The FL-8SE was made from 2002 to now.

The original FL-8's don't have the interference rejection circuitry like the new ones. And none of the 8 series flashers have zoom.
    Get a unit that best fits your needs and style of fishing, not anyone else's.

Thank you Bean i looked all over the internet trying to find a chart of the years and models. So a guess the only difference between a fl-8 and a fl-8SLT is the interference rejection mode  ??? I was gonna get a fl-8se but when i went to get it the guy didnt mention that the ice ducer cable was all tore up and didnt work and he wanted $265 for it, so i passed on that oneand got this nice FL-8 SLT

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:15 PM »
    Thats exactly what I got.  I love mine though I went fishing today in 3' of water and could not use it.  Maybe when the bigger lakes freeze I will get to get mine out again. It stinks this was the first chance for me to get out this year.
    <br />

Offline TafoyaMNAA

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2007, 02:07 AM »
    shoulda got the s-cable. I dont plan on doing in real shallow fishin w/ the vex yet but plan on it someday so i gotta pick one up too.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • Hardwater Nut!
    « Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:04 AM »
    Get the  vexler fl 8   I did  & I wont leave home without it

\My buddy has the fl 18 & he likes his  but when I  go into his shanty  to talk to him or fish that flasher messes me up because i dont & are not used  to the zoom feature he has
    smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 AM »
    Thats exactly what I got.  I love mine though I went fishing today in 3' of water and could not use it.  Maybe when the bigger lakes freeze I will get to get mine out again. It stinks this was the first chance for me to get out this year.

It would be a good idea to pick up an S-cable. The S-cable cuts the power in half. The s-cable isn't just for shallow water, but is also good to use in weeds. I use the Low power mode on my Fl-18 quite a bit.

Offline bjeff42

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Born to fish forced to work!!
    « Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:36 AM »
    dude go with lowrance x-67c sweet unit on the graph mode is the best don't know how many times i'm looking at the lines on the graph and then the lines move and slamo got another slabo price is right around the same as good vex for whole unit and i think for 100$ more you can get it with gps to mark good fishing wholes from year to year  :tipup:

Offline Jello

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:03 PM »
    I owned a VX-1 (upgraded to LX-5 now), and I've seen and used a buddies FL-8.  Both do their job just fine.  The VX-1 is brighter and more crisp than the FL-8 and it has zoom which is great for panfish.  You need to look at the cone angle.  The VX-1 comes with a  20 degree cone which I found great…. Except when fishing over 50FOW.  It has enough power, but once you start getting deep, that 20 degree angle returns too much information off bottom. 

On the plus side though, I have heard of guys using 9 and/or 12 degree Vex transducers on Marcum VX-1 flashers with no problems (not the dual cone ones).

I wouldn't say I'm loyal to either Vex or Marcum.  I think they're both great.  However, given price and features, the VX-1 has my vote in this case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.