Author Topic: Baiting holes  (Read 3097 times)

Offline hawsy

• IceShanty Rookie
Baiting holes
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:00 PM »
 Now that salties are a thing of the past what are you guys useing for Chumming your holes???? ???

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
Re: Baiting holes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:42 PM »
in (MI) i use EGG SHELLS ;D i fish for pannies works for me!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:45 PM »
this comes up a lot...I always thought that chumming was illegal in Ontario, or parts of it?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:51 PM »

Pre boiled rice with a little Bait Mate

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:07 PM »
From what i could find out it is illegal to use meat or fishparts to chum in Ontario. So....i gets to thinking, what about some of the high fish oil pellets that i used for carp fishing back in england, would that be illegal/unethical.

In England its called 'groundbaiting' and there are a huge amount of products to choose from, carp fisherman also use pvc stockings that dissolve on contact with water at varying speeds to deliver small packets of mix right to the hook bait.

I even started to use these products for sea fishing much to the amusement of my fellow anglers on the pier, but they were not laughing when i was reeling in mackerel stuffed full of sweet corn in the middle of January, they all wanted the recipe .

(recipe: Bread, Dynamite Baits Marine Halibut Pellets, Dynamite Baits Marine Halibut Boily Dip, 1 Tin Sweetcorn, Sensas Fishmeal Groundbait Powder, 1/2 bottle Cod Liver Oil all mixed together and left to soak overnight, stinks to high heaven but that was the goal)
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:37 AM »
From hawsy: Now that salties are a thing of the past

From icejunky: this comes up a lot...I always thought that chumming was illegal in Ontario

From viciouscircle: From what i could find out it is illegal to use meat or fishparts to chum in Ontario.

I'm looking at the current Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary issued by the Provincial Government. I can find nothing to support these statements as a general rule in Ontario. These statements may apply to certain areas under the "Exceptions to Regulations or Other Zone Regulations".
 Can anyone provide a reference to back up these statements from the Regs. or are these just passing on what "I heard from someone" things.
 To the best of my knowledge salties are still legal to use if you make your own. They do count as part of your 120 baitfish limit. Bait dealers may no longer sell them.
 Not trying to stir things up but just to get things correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Wishes: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:33 PM »
I must of missed something. Why are Salties something of the past?
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:36 PM »
With all the underwater cameras viewing things under the ice over the last few years, has anyone actually recorded the effects of different kinds of bait/chum and indicated whether chumming actually makes a difference?

Offline hawsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:06 PM »
I must of missed something. Why are Salties something of the past?
Your 100% right on that but going up for a weekend 120 minnows w used to bait with alot more than that per day  :o

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:23 AM »
Salties are still legal, just part of your 120 possession.  You also have to produce a receipt for the bait as far as I know.  Sucks for the weekender, you will need a bait license now if you want to use a holding tank, unless you don't have too many minnows.  This is a quote from Wil Wegman, explaining the new regs and reasons for them.

"The 120 possession limit is now to be applied to all situations, regardless of how the baitfish were obtained, whether caught under a sport-fishing licence or purchased from a bait dealer. This is result of current concerns about the movement of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) virus in live fish. By limiting all anglers to 120 baitfish, it will discourage anglers from transporting large volumes of potentially contaminated bait-fish over great distances and to encourage anglers to purchase or catch bait-fish locally.

I know this will greatly effect those Lake Simcoe anglers who liked to purchase large quantities of bait all at once and hold them in their ice huts, or who salted them down for chumming ... that will all have to change now. The fact of the matter is that there are new and very serious threats to the fisheries of our beloved Lake Simcoe (and other lakes) and that collectively we all have to do our part and make sacrifices to try and help slow the spread of threats like VHS, Invasive Species etc. Unfortunately some of traditional ways that we have been doing things over the last few decades or even generations will have to be changed ... and although not many of us like change ... I'm sure we can all agree that Lake Simcoe is worth it!

Thank you,

Wil Wegman"

There ya have it folks.

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:58 AM »
hi

use to use egg shel to.

or gold fish food..work great for panfish.

but now i use a vex......and wen i bait fish my vex get all the shuming..... :(.and dont no what is what.so no more shuming for me for crappies at least.

joco

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Half cooked spaghettis noodles.     

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Im with Grimace on the spageti but i use the Shell type and that sort of thing... WOrked well for me with the whities just depending on the depth you will need a bait can as the fall down to far will casue it not to be under your hut..LOl well at least that how it is for me on simcoe... The Slight current under the water casue it to drift like 8 feet to 12 feet away from under the hut so I use a bait can to get it down there lol:>
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:33 PM »
I've got a question is that 120 per person, if so with two ppl u could have 240 right   

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline hawsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:36 PM »
I've got a question is that 120 per person, if so with two ppl u could have 240 right   
yes no problem there so if ya got kids take em or rent them from the neibours  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:54 PM »
Rent em, ROFL.   ;D  So if you have a house full of kids you can keep a tank I guess, of course they would all need fishing licenses for that to work.

Offline hawsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:07 PM »
no licence required under age 16 :laugh:

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:28 AM »
Actually under 18 years of age doesn't require a licence.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:31 AM »
In being from wyoming, I am ignorant to what a saltie is?  I am ignorant in many ways but could some one please advise  ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline hawsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:12 PM »
In being from wyoming, I am ignorant to what a saltie is?  I am ignorant in many ways but could some one please advise  ;)

minnows that are dead and salted for bait  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.