Author Topic: Question for those with Mickey Boots  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Candiru

• IceShanty Rookie
Question for those with Mickey Boots
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to the forums but have learned much about this great sport from your various posts. 

I have a question about mickey boots. I just purchased and received mine from an army surplus shop on ebay. They were advertised as new Bata white boots. I just opened the box and found the pair of boots that don't look worn very much or probably at all but I found several cracks in the outside layer of rubber. These occur primarily on the tongue of the boot where the material folds and on the upper part of the boot between the ankle and calf. I'm assuming these cracks are the dry rot that I've read about. It's actually the smaller cracks that appear where the thinner portion of the top part of the boot meets the thicker portion where the air bladder begins above the ankle (about the second lace hole from the top). These cracks appear to be in the thinner outer layer of rubber and not all the way through.

Now I only paid 50 bucks with shipping, and I'm not sure if this is something that will affect the integrity of the boot. However, I'd expect not to have dry rot (if that's what these cracks are) in a pair of boots that I just purchased. I assume these cracks will only get bigger. Would anyone else agree with contacting the seller about this problem, or is this just a normal issue with mickey boots and something that I can fix without having to go down this road.

Incidentally, these boots do not say Bata on the bottom, and I thought I read a post somewhere that true bata boots had the name on the bottom. Anyone know this information, too?

Thanks and enjoy the hard water if you've got it!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Question for those with Mickey Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:19 PM »
return them!   they are at the best an ok boot  but is heavy   ever wonder why the military is getting rid of em?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:21 PM »
Return them.  If the cracks get into the insulation, then the whole idea behind the boot is shot. 

Not the greatest boot if you are a run and gun fishermen as they are heavy, but some of the warmest boots I've ever had.

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I'd keep them, for $50 bucks. They go as high as $100.
I've had mine for 30plus years, but only as a back up pair now.
Dont skimp on boots when it comes to your feet when icefishing  ;)
Invest in a good pair of pac boots, if you really get into the sport of icefishing  :tipup:

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:05 PM »
i agree dont skimp on your feet, man if my feet get cold im done. and i also would return the boots, i dont want to spend money on something that is gonna last a year then be junk. just my .02 cents.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I have had mickies for years. If they fit properly you wil not notice the weight at all. If you get dunked, just pour them out, wipe dry and your good to go for the rest of the day with new socks. Something that pac boots are no good for!! At least all the ones I have seen worn, and when wet have sent the fisherman home.

The dry rot can happen from the inside out if the air spout is left open and moisture gets inside, but it sounds like yours is a different issue. Normally these cost 129.00. On sale maybe 89.00. But at 50 including postage, I would assume they are clearing out a defective or rotting inventory :'(

Many of my friends have tried the Cabelas Pac boot, Baffins etc... but are now wearing Mickies and are sorry they did not do so sooner.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:16 PM »
I have had mickies for years. If they fit properly you wil not notice the weight at all. If you get dunked, just pour them out, wipe dry and your good to go for the rest of the day with new socks. Something that pac boots are no good for!! At least all the ones I have seen worn, and when wet have sent the fisherman home.

The dry rot can happen from the inside out if the air spout is left open and moisture gets inside, but it sounds like yours is a different issue. Normally these cost 129.00. On sale maybe 89.00. But at 50 including postage, I would assume they are clearing out a defective or rotting inventory :'(

Many of my friends have tried the Cabelas Pac boot, Baffins etc... but are now wearing Mickies and are sorry they did not do so sooner.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I agree 100%....with all of it.

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:23 AM »
return them!   they are at the best an ok boot  but is heavy   ever wonder why the military is getting rid of em?
The USAF Arctic Survival School at Eielson AFB in Fairbanks still uses these mickey boots.  I did my arctic training a year ago, and loved them.  I went out and bought myself a pair at an Army Surplus Store.  Great Boots.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:07 AM »
Interesting!  must be due to high turnover  then again they fell under ATC  lol    In late 80s Loring wasnt issuing them  went to surrells   prior to that yes we had the white mickeys and mucklucks  surrells at that time were the best on the market  plus they also had a safety toe  not so with the mickies
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:55 AM »
I have had mine over 20 plus years now and they had dry rot markings back then.I would say they just srarted leaking 2 years ago.They leak at the heel and at the first lace eye from wear and tear.I still wear them but definately getting another pair.As far as the weight not to bad but a good workout by the day`s end.KEEP THEM.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:01 AM »
I've had them for about 30 years and still have my original pair plus just bought some white ones last year. Although heavy for me cause I have health issues they are very warm and waterproof. I have broken thru the ice a number of times thru the years and I just took them off and poured the water out and slipped them right back on and was warm. I have wanted to try the Muck boots due to their light weight a comfort but don't know anybody that uses them on the ice , Just hunting. Anyway, Can't go wrong with the Mickeys !

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Micky's are a good boot, you dont even need socks with them...
But they have nothing, nothing on a good pair of pack boots...
I rather run around in a pair Lacrossa's then a pair of space boots - My

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I bought a new pair at sports show in Pitt. about 12 years ago for 70 bucks,they are without a doubt the warmest boots you can get,had a couple pairs of dry rot boots and they still will keep your feet warm.I prefer pac boots(lighter,better tread) with shanty's and heaters no need for my Mickey's.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:17 AM »
If you have a fishtrap, then mickey's are the boot to use. No floor, so my feet are always on the ice. The mickeys keep my feet warm all day regardless of them being on the ice. Have mine for 5 years now.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:44 PM »
I got a pair of Muck Artics. I ain't sat on ice with them yet and I think moisture build up will be an issue but wearing them barefoot on ice and snow in yard has not been a cold experience.  Light as feather compared to my mickey's too.

On cracks in Mickey's. Definitely a no go send back. If inside felt gets wet you are done.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:55 PM »
I got a pair of Muck Artics. I ain't sat on ice with them yet and I think moisture build up will be an issue but wearing them barefoot on ice and snow in yard has not been a cold experience.  Light as feather compared to my mickey's too.

On cracks in Mickey's. Definitely a no go send back. If inside felt gets wet you are done.
There is no felt inside a pair of Mickeys.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:01 PM »

If you're tired of 1950's technology, let Minnie have your Micky's and step up to the last boot you'll ever need to buy. I'm going on 6 years with mine. 12 hours on the ice/ slush/ water.....no problem. Dry, breathable warmth in an easy walking boot. The soles are a rocker design. very easy on the feet and legs. I studded mine with #8 x 3/8 tech screws. Don't need any cleats.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:10 PM »
There is no felt inside a pair of Mickeys.

Really?? 

"These are the original Military issue "Mickey" boots, not the imitation boots now flooding the market from China. The multiple layers of wool felt provide an insulation to protect your feet in subzero temperatures, and the waterproof rubber exterior keeps your feet dry and warm. Bought straight from the government, ". 

and from another site...."World renowned "Mickey Boots" are 100% rubber, with thick wool insulation all around. Add in an insulating air pocket, all sandwiched between the layers of rubber."

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:56 PM »
The felt is in a sandwich of rubber outer, felt, rubber inner layer.

The felt is in the watertight pocket between the layers of rubber, holding heat even if water gets inside the boot. 

There isn't a felt bootie as found in pak boots.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
If you're tired of 1950's technology, let Minnie have your Micky's and step up to the last boot you'll ever need to buy. I'm going on 6 years with mine. 12 hours on the ice/ slush/ water.....no problem. Dry, breathable warmth in an easy walking boot. The soles are a rocker design. very easy on the feet and legs. I studded mine with #8 x 3/8 tech screws. Don't need any cleats.

RG

Really.....and at what cost?  I notice you didn't tell us the price.  Bet they're not cheap.

My Mickeys keep my feet warm for 12 hours straight too...in ice,slush, snow and water......I can wear them into the house because there are no screws in the bottom...AND they set me back a whopping 40 bucks!

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:56 PM »

I would be interested in knowing how they work out on the ice. I like the light weight and the way they feel but didn't want to spend the money if they weren't warm.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:20 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

RG

Too bad you could not just wipe these out and put them back on with a fresh pair of socks and be all set for the remainder of the day like you can with Mickeys!! These look lioke they have liners that would get quite wet and require drying before the next use. Mickies sure can save the day if your leg takes an unexpected plunge in a shanty hole, thin ice or deep slush. I have waded across rivers trcking deer, had the Mickies fill up with water, finish tracking, pour out water, wipe dry and put back on for the rest of the days events. Can these pac boots be used like that? or is there a liner?? :-\

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:48 PM »
The lacrosse Alpha Burly knee high 1500g thinsulate at around 120$ is a great all around boot.
A pair of white socks underneath and comfortable all day.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.