Author Topic: Should I return my new Vex?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Shakespeare

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To fish, or not to fish...
Should I return my new Vex?
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:45 PM »
Finally went out today (after tons of research) and dropped the cash for a Vexilar FL-18 Ultra Pack.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was that there was a VHS tape instead of a DVD.

The Vex stand advertised that the units came with a DVD so I'm thinking that this unit might have been sitting around for quite a while.

Also, when I turned it on it was cosiderably louder than the one on display.

Is that because it's not charged and not spinning as fast as it will when fully charged?

I'm kind of on the fence about taking it back.

CSP88

Re: Should I return my new Vex?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:51 PM »
If you are not completely satisfied I would take it back for an exchange and explain the reasoning behind your return.   If you go back take a look at the other boxes it should list whether it has the VHS or DVD included.

Chad

Offline Shakespeare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:53 PM »
I looked in the FL-20 box and it had a DVD.

I looked in my box too to make sure it didn't look used and figured the VHS was a box with parts or something, didn't examine it close enough.

Offline KingGill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I wouldn't think the unit would be too new with a VHS tape inside....mine came with a VHS and it is at least 3 years old.  My only concern would be the battery.  Any doubt, take it back.

Offline Shakespeare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Yeah, it's going back.

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I just bought a 20 and it came with a DVD take it back buy the 20

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I'll start out by saying everyone here knows I prefer Marcum products at this time. That being said, I will say this. If it is a Fl18 you want, I would try it out first. If you have problems, I'm sure Vexilar will set you up right. There is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the unit itself just because its been stored for a while. The only problem you might run into is the battery. Give Vex a call and they should be able to tell you when the unit and the battery was manufactured by using product codes. And it still has the two year warrentee. Talk to them first before you make any decisions. As for it being louder then the one on display, I don't know what to tell you. The display model probably has several hours on it from people trying it out. Maybe thats the reason it runs quieter. If it is making noise because of a bad vibration, the unit is probably out of balance(like when a car tire is out of balance), and will likely have to taken back for a different one. Again give them a call.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:52 PM »
The vibration could be because the unit has been dropped and unbalanced as previously mentioned or it could be simply a matter of tightening the head unit to the mount a little tighter, make sure the battery is sitting flat as well... I know the flashers I've owned have all made noise at some time or another  ???

Either way, if you can return it you might wanna upgrade to the FL20 if it's within your budget.  That VHS tape must be at least 3-4 years old  :D

Don

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I find Vex's to be noisy period, just my two cents from owning a vex and a marcum, the marcum is way less noisy.  As for the gell cell don't accept a three year old battery, it likely won't cycle/charge properly.  A lot of gell cells have a date stamp somewhere on the case, you might be able to check it.  I'd say return it, that's seriously old stock, VHS, ROFL.   :laugh:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:36 PM »
The vibration could be because the unit has been dropped and unbalanced as previously mentioned or it could be simply a matter of tightening the head unit to the mount a little tighter, make sure the battery is sitting flat as well... I know the flashers I've owned have all made noise at some time or another  ???

Either way, if you can return it you might wanna upgrade to the FL20 if it's within your budget.  That VHS tape must be at least 3-4 years old  :D

Don

I agree with Don check the side mounts on the unit and make sure they are tight.  It doesn't take much for them to make noise even if they are a little loose.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Is it a part swap compelation? I bought a vex that was a pile of leftovers from returns. :%$#!:

Vex did not and still may not seal their products in the package very well. The dealers rob parts and replace them with parts from returns. If you get a unit that has had this done several times, you essentially have a box of junk. Answer these questions...

(1) does the box look like it has been opened several times?

(2) are the parts neatly packed and still in their wrappers?

(3) does the owners manual contradict some of the features of your unit?

(4) does the little tackle box look used?

If so, just return it! Ebay sells USED flashers if you want one! >:(

Mine went back, and an embarrassed red faced manager gave me a t-shirt for effort. I remember this exact thing going on with other members in the past. Comon vex, invest in some packing tape! ::)

Offline Shakespeare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:54 PM »
I returned it to Gander Mountian and got the FL-20.

No problem returning it at all, should have put a blender in the box.

Check out anything of value you buy there.

Very satisfied with the new one, not a spec of dust on it and it's much more quiet.

Thanks.

CSP88

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I returned it to Gander Mountian and got the FL-20.

No problem returning it at all, should have put a blender in the box.

Check out anything of value you buy there.

Very satisfied with the new one, not a spec of dust on it and it's much more quiet.

Thanks.

Great to hear you got it corrected.

Chad

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Time to go fishing!   8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.