Author Topic: 8" Icegator coming to Alaska  (Read 3358 times)

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
8" Icegator coming to Alaska
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:43 AM »
I saw that 1 of the 2 8" Icegators is on its way up here.  If you are the one that is getting it please let the rest of us know how it performs for you.  I am really intrested in it but I would like someones first hand experiences with it.
Travis

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: 8" Icegator coming to Alaska
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Where did you read or hear about that ???

I have been in contact with them and they are sending me something ??? ;D not sure til it gets here.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Where did you read or hear about that ???

I have been in contact with them and they are sending me something ??? ;D not sure til it gets here.

I saw your post in the General area and I read it.  Someone is getting one; WHO ??? maybe icejunkie, like he said; he thinks his wife is getting him one for Christmas?

Could mean an early Christmas for someone.

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:08 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I haven't looked at it before this thread - pretty neat. My biggest concern is that the testing and runtime claims are based on pulling it out of a warm truck and boring as many holes as you can until the battery drains. Real world conditions would be far different and we all know how much the cold negatively affects battery performance in our vehicles and gadgets. (why we use battery heaters in cars, and lithium batteries in our gizmos!)

How would it do if you drive to quartz an hour and 45 minutes with it in the back of your truck - then bore 5 or 6 holes and fish for an hour while it's laying on the ice - then move bore a few more holes - fish for a couple hours - move again etc...all while it's 20 below or much much colder than that? Oh yeah and through four or more feet of ice not 30"...also wonder how extensions work? Maybe the auger extension is used and it bolts to the icegator just as the auger would. One concern is using a 18" or longer extension introduce a big wobble that is simply not workable at the higher RPMs? I have seen some power augers with long extensions (or two shorter extensions) really knock around and it seems that at much higher revs that could be a really bad thing.

Only one way to find out! I hope they are sending it to you as a test unit to make sure it can perform in our conditions. I hope it works great. Probably would never be ideal for anything longer than a day trip (without charging capability) but I doubt that's a big segment of the market...

Kudos for trying to build a better mousetrap - even if it turns out it doesn't work in the interior, there's probably lots of other places it will do great.

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:52 AM »
I too would be interested on how it works in the interior.  I'm not sure how I feel about a rechargeable ice auger though seems like your just askin for trouble.... and electricity and I are not the best of friends  :o
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:31 PM »
i'm stickin' with the trusty ol' gas auger. 

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2007, 04:42 PM »
  I have had a far amount of trouble with gas, so think its worth a try, might have to buy gel cell or dry cell. Last year went to figer eight and my jiffy would not start, I work on it and pulled and pulled then the recoil broke. I then asked the guys next to us if we could use there auger and they sad no. 30 mile in on one else on the lake. we packed up and on are way out more people showed up and asked them if we could use their auger and they were more than happy to let us. Went back to the spot and drilled are holes. Any ways the guy that would not let us use there auger did not even get a bit and in 2 hours we had 30 fish on tip ups and we all know that is a work out. The not cool guys wanted to know what we were doing. Do you think i told then?  >:D >:D

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Wow - what kind of a tool wouldn't let someone use his auger (or at least go drill the holes himself if he was picky)....I've known lots of people that I've borrowed from or that have borrowed my fear (in places much less remote to boot)...nice to know most of us are better people than the guys your ran into. Sorry for the bad experience...guess Karma showed them!

I agree the icegator is a neat idea and nothing worse than not being able to get an engine strated - I really hope it's the best thing for you and everyone starts buying them (hopefully it would lower the price point some). The other benefit is people woudl scramble then to build something better so icegator didn't get all the market share...things are pretty stagnant right now...

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Those people are not sportsman when they refuse to drill a hole for someone. Those are the kind of people God gets in the end, the ones who think they are better than everyone else are often miserable inside and think everyone should suffer for how they feel.

When I emailed Greg at icegator I told him about the extreme cold and how people often leave gear on the ice and their vehicles in extreme cold for long periods of time or overnight. I also mentioned the issue with plastic and the cold as well.

All that remains is to see whose door step it shows up on. ???

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Re the dude that wouldn't let you use his auger, I don't get it, I have drilled more holes for other folks than I have for myself.  Takes all kinds I guess.  ???
Bob

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:41 AM »
The guy that wouldn't lend you the auger must not have been up here for long.  Most of us that have been up here for any length of time knows that we rely on eachother.  This means if someone is broke down on the side of the road, someone needs a jump and most especially a fellow outdoorman/woman needs help you try to help.
Travis

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Icejunkie, I agree with the others.  At least they could have punched some holes for you!!!  "Guess karma was in your favor", (gotta love Earl.)

Icymike your auger shouldn't be classified as "Ol", but rather as a "Relic."  Doesn't it operate on steam? :D :D :D :D

AKJW, -20 and batteries sounds iffy!  I'd be curious to see how it does in the extreme cold and the thick deep ice?  I watched a guy use a drill mounted unit a couple years ago on 3 ft. of ice at -10.  He did amazingly well with it, but 4 holes isn't much with a 6" auger.  As for your worry about the augers length?  I have a friend who's pretty short (5'5" and a giant amongst the elves), who uses his tailgate or a bucket to drill with his 18" extension, it's amazing to watch him wrestle that auger! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:48 PM »
BD - that's awesome - love to see it! Although I doubt if we look much better trying to pull a recoil starter that is over our heads! We all manage though don't we!

Can't wait to hear some real world reports - I'll probably never buy one, but gadgets are cool!

Offline fozz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I cant believe no auger use. I went to long lake last year with my wife and four year old son. started the auger  punched my hole ended up being about ten inches to short. the guys net to use were watching. grabbed their auger (with extention) and presto we were fishing. by the whey this trip my son caught his first fish!!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Latest on the 8" Icegator coming to Alaska?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Well, yes there is an 8" icegator coming to Alaska for evaluation ;D

Got the official word this morning that it would be shipped out after Christmas.

Believe me, when we have our Interior meet and greet we will have an Icegator to use for all the holes that we need to drill.

That's all I'm going to say for now.

Stay tuned

Merry christmas

FF

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:52 PM »

I was working on my gas auger and told my wife that i needed to go buy new blades and plugs. She could not hold it in any more, I have a ice gator ;D it was going to be here today, has not showed up yet. Maybe tonight or the morning. :thumbsup:

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:24 AM »
FF that is awesome news!!  I will finally get some input on how well it does out in the real world.  The only thing I've heard on here about it is that it looks to be well made but no usage yet.  You'll have to put it through the Alaska test without trying to purposefully damage it.  That way we know if it survives that it will definitely be good for normal usage.  Can't wait for your reviews.
Travis

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2007, 03:12 AM »
Got a pm from the guy and it will ship the day after Christmas. They just recently recieved a shipment of some better performing batteries from the manufacturer and are getting them onboard.

The icegator will be ours to use til the ice goes off and we are required to give reviews for the rest of the folks.

They are currently working on an insulated cover for colder climates as well

For ice junkie
I sent a pm to Masterangler70 who works for the company that manufactures the icegator. I sent him your pm to me and hopefully they can get you exchanged to the 8" if it's available. I'm sure they will contact you, if you don't here back from them by the end of next week try giving Mark the sales manger or Greg the Pre'z a call or email, contacts are on their website. If not We'll work something out between the two of us.
  ;)

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I hope the Gator turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread but its a Waite and see for me, I am still thinking that if we get 6 eight inch holes through 5 feet of ice on a single battery charge we will be lucky.  But that being said it is an interesting rig and I hope it proves me wrong.  :tipup:
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.