Author Topic: Calling Lake  (Read 4452 times)

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
Calling Lake
« on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Has anyone gone out to see/check ice conditions? I get a birds eye vu of the lake on a weekly basis and as of this past Friday, I see no tracks on the lake unless they have been snowed over.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Calling Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:41 PM »
I am heading out to Calling in 6 days i would love to know aswell.Did u see any shacks or tents or anyone fishing?I know u said u did'nt see tracks but did u check regulations...maybe it dosen't open till this weekend,i gotta check that aswell....
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Also where were u looking from....I hope it wasn't from the main launch because that is not where people go on....just a thought...
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Anyone have any info would be appreciated....

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:34 PM »
I fly over the lake, so i get a good look.... i have been on vacation this last wee but my coworkers said they didn't see anyone out there. But I am going to drive out to see the ice thickness on Sunday Dec 16th will report back then. I have not ice fished this lake before but i have going in the summer.... What is the best way to get on the lake later in the season when its safe to drive on. The boat launch @ the campground? or can you drive on by the playground/beach by the calling river? I assume most people fish by the radio towers or by VW point?

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:41 AM »
I am heading out in 4 hours 24 minutes...Should be enough ice by now.Don't go on by main launch.Go down another left or 2 and thats where u go on.....instead of turning at main launch.....VW point is really tough to get to later in the season....unless u have a bad ass 4x4.....

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:20 PM »
There is enough ice to fish,Slushy on top of the ice......some places 10 inches and some places just over a foot of ice.No one has driven on the lake yet....There were no tracks and i was'nt about to be the first.Unless u HAVE A QUAD OR SNOWMOBILE SAVE YOURSELF THE 1 KM HIKE THROUGH THE SLUSH AND DEEP SNOW.My legs are still burning......3 walleyes and 3 perch.....Not a very good day ....

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Go down another left or 2 and thats where u go on.....instead of turning at main launch.....

Huh? you mean take your 2nd left after you drive past the road to the campground/boat launch?

send me a PM do you live near Calling Lake? I live in Athabasca... would like to find some fishing buddies... have all the toys to use... minus a Quad or Snowmobile

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Go on at the poplar street turn off ,it goes right to the lake.First left after main campground .There are no tracks on the lake  yet anywhere.1 guy tried yesterday and got stuck rather quickly,it made for a good laugh.Better get your hiking boots on if u wanna get to the spot...it's a long hike....

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Went out today.... Drove past poplar street, past the tower and took my 1st left and followed the road until the fist lane that goes to the lake... What a long Slog!! 1km in 45min ditto about the slush on the ice for the first 100 yards... i got tired and stopped walking after 1km and started to fish in 12 feet of water 10-12 inches of ice.... I was too shallow i think... saw nothing on the camera and was too tired to go further fished for 3 hrs and then slogged it back to the truck...... Don't realize how much all your gear weighs when you have to drag it across the ice.

Santa if your listening can i get a used snowmobile for xmas?

I saw the spot you just mentioned i saw one permanent shack on the ice at that spot but decided to venture further north.

what depth were you in 15-20 feet....?

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:17 PM »
X factor where u saw the blue shack u have to go another 1000-1500 yards farther.I drilled holes there aswell and it was only 11 feet.The reason the shack is there is because how ever he got the shack out there was not going any further.The blue shack will be in about 30 feet of water  in the end.It is way to slushy on top right now.I don't know how many times i sank in slush up to my knees and it felt like i was going through.....Pretty dam scary but i wanted to get to the honey hole....
Don't ever go past the pole,it's useless in the winter.There is a place before the tower u can park and the walk out is only 700 yards compared to 2000-3000 yard walk through a foot of snow and slush.I did'nt enjoy the walk yesterday carrying all the gear.....

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Flew over the lake today 2 trucks on the ice one up the the Reserve and someone else drove on by the boat launch... with all the slush around the edge of the lake ... must have been fun!

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Went out on the 24th and got skunked. There was perch on camera. Although they were pretty small in size.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:29 PM »
That sucks u got skunked....I will take u out hopefully between Jan 1 -7th....Think those were your days off.....If i can make it up there i will make sure u catch some fish....How much ice was there?Where were u fishing?

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Went out today 29th. was out-fished by my fiancé. I caught 0 she caught 4 Perch. Very slow... the fish were on the small side.... ice in some spots were only 6 inches other spots over 18. Hope the action  picks up out there. People were driving on the ice, myself included... but still don't like the ice conditions seeing there is a huge variable in ice depth in such a sort distance (100 feet of distance ice depth was 6 inches to 18 inches) I doubt a lot of the guys knew that the ice was so thin in spots, ignorance is bliss.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:56 PM »
X i will probely be heading down on January 5th.It isn't a forsure but 75% sure.I see that u are getting frustrated with Calling lake.I am offering my services to u.I have fished this lake for 10 years and it is my favorite,allthough not in winter.Where was the 6 inches of ice?I will be trying for some perch by where u were but if the perch fishing is bad i am heading to volkswagon point.I know there are no tracks going there yet....I will have to make sure i bring atleast 2 4x4's due to the long stretch of driving on the lake with no road...Shovels and chains will be needed to get there aswell...But could pay off....Would u come out for the day if i went?

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:54 PM »
bad ice Just off the beaten path from poplar street, north of the main trail 300 yrds east of the main group of shacks. I talked to a sledder who found some bad ice... broke through along the south shore, not sure where exactly... the ice is not the best for the time of year thats for sure..... check PM

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:10 PM »
Dam i need the south shore to eventually end up in my spot......I got your private message...thx for everything!

Offline X Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Flew along the lake today, truck and Snowmobile tracks along the south shore. But after the sandy beach area just before the lake shore heads NW, the truck tracks end and only a few 2-3 snowmobile tracks out to VW point. The ice between truck tracks ending to VW point looks so-so... some dark spots (which looks like water on top of the ice mixed with snow) leads me to think the ice gets thin in spots and thats why there are no truck tracks right out to the point. From where the truck tracks end I'd say a good 2-3 miles away from the VW point along the shore.

Offline 1Bushman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:19 AM »
Ice is plenty thick @ 16-17 ". 4 X 4 required if going off main trail straight out from Poplar St. Now the Fishing, a non performance on our part. Very slow for all parties all around. No i's, no p & 1 p, no whites. Thats fishing. 

Offline walleyecrazyx22

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye.. SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:21 AM »
went on sunday, got skunked except some dink perch.
there is already a substantial amount of snow out there.
fishing was slow.
i talked to a couple of locals and they say that walleye wont bite good till later in the season, and by the way it looks, i think there right haha.
Walleye... Purely fantastic
Biggest to date: 12.6 pounds 33 inches[/u]
Calling lake, Alberta
Summer of 2006
Simply the best lake ive ever fished

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.